Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JessieTheKitty

Map Changes for wows.

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

284
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,006 battles

ok i get it, some people and some ships require islands in order not to get nuked immediately but its kinda annoying when every map is designed around this feature. especially with ships that have massive rudder shifts like cv's, battleships and some cruisers trying to maneuver around islands every 1-2km while being shot at and not exposing broadside is slightly getting annoying.. and dont get me wrong. this thread has nothing to do with people island hopping i have no salt about it. but its mainly that the clutter

of islands on some of these maps are just WAY too much. sure ships require cover but don't go and make the ENTIRE map cover. 

160px-Loop.pngmaps like this loop. you don't need to have that many islands. could probably easily cut 2 or 3 out.

 

160px-Shatter.pngmy favorite example of a broken map. going west in this map with a ship that needs open ocean and a lot of water to kite and dodge is suscide. the only good side to do that would be c which is really restricting game play, not to mention forget about going B with a ship that has poor maneuverability. you will never make it out alive.

 

edit. ocean is easily my favorite map and probably should be reintroduced into the game with maybe 4-5 islands AT MOST to allow for those people that complained when they didn't have any island cover to shoot from

Edited by RiverTheIdiot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,376
[-K-]
Members
5,110 posts
8,970 battles

Ok, here is the island you get for Ocean:

desert-island.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,780 posts
5,642 battles

I am torn about Ocean Map. At first I did not like it. My only complaint about ocean is it is random and if you have a ship that is not equipped for it your can not do much. If you were able to choose the Ocean map and bring a ship that can fight in that arena it is realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Ocean is still in the game you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
554
[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,254 battles

I haven't seen the ocean map in months. Is it tier related in any way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,461
[AXANR]
Members
3,362 posts
16,547 battles
11 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

I haven't seen the ocean map in months. Is it tier related in any way?

It's high-tier, not sure the exact tiering but I don't think you can see it any lower than a t7-9 game if not t8-10. And it's rare, I see it maybe a couple times a month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
554
[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,254 battles
16 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

It's high-tier, not sure the exact tiering but I don't think you can see it any lower than a t7-9 game if not t8-10. And it's rare, I see it maybe a couple times a month

Ok, Thanks. I play between 5-8 regularly so that would explain some of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,613
[SALVO]
Members
16,720 posts
17,308 battles

Given the relatively small size of Ocean, it probably ought to be more of a mid tier map than a high tier map.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,613
[SALVO]
Members
16,720 posts
17,308 battles
6 hours ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

ok i get it, some people and some ships require islands in order not to get nuked immediately but its kinda annoying when every map is designed around this feature. especially with ships that have massive rudder shifts like cv's, battleships and some cruisers trying to maneuver around islands every 1-2km while being shot at and not exposing broadside is slightly getting annoying.. and dont get me wrong. this thread has nothing to do with people island hopping i have no salt about it. but its mainly that the clutter

of islands on some of these maps are just WAY too much. sure ships require cover but don't go and make the ENTIRE map cover. 

160px-Loop.pngmaps like this loop. you don't need to have that many islands. could probably easily cut 2 or 3 out.

 

160px-Shatter.pngmy favorite example of a broken map. going west in this map with a ship that needs open ocean and a lot of water to kite and dodge is suicide. the only good side to do that would be c which is really restricting game play, not to mention forget about going B with a ship that has poor maneuverability. you will never make it out alive.

 

edit. ocean is easily my favorite map and probably should be reintroduced into the game with maybe 4-5 islands AT MOST to allow for those people that complained when they didn't have any island cover to shoot from

 

1. Ocean is also easily my favorite map.  And I don't want any islands added to it.  However, I'd have no problem with creating a separate map with a small number of islands on it.  That said, I'd rather that there were no islands that could be used for cover, etc. on an Ocean-ish map.  The only islands I'd like to see would be something like an atoll, a ring of very low islands that could be easily shot over and provided no cover at all, except as a barrier against torpedoes.

 

2. I don't like the map design meta in this game.  It does nothing to promote world of warships.  All these maps do is promote World of Sea-tanks.  That said, I get that they can't have this game played on a single map (i.e. Ocean).  But that doesn't mean that every map has to be a damned clone of each other.  And most of the highest battle tier maps are exactly that, near clones of each other.  Not copy and paste jobs per se.  But they all seem to follow the same darned pattern. The map orientation is either strictly N/S or E/W.  One team spawns N, the other S (or E and W on the E/W orientation maps).  Then in the general spawn areas (about 3 rows or columns of the map on each side, the map is completely empty of islands in each team's "backfield".  And then in the middle 4 rows or columns, the maps are choked with islands.  It's freaking boring!!!

Look at the original maps.  They had a TON more originality to them.  Look at Big Race or New Dawn.  They don't match my clone description above.  Or look at the original version of Islands of Ice.  That's a vastly more interesting version than the current boring clone version.  Even the original Hotspot was more interesting, except for the fact of the terrible cross spawning concept.

 

3. Another thing that's missing is the use of the single cap point Encounter mode.  Now, I'm sure that it probably produced a lot of draws, like the original version of standard mode, but that could be fixed in the same way that Standard was fixed... by adding domination points for sunk ships.

Heck, there could even be multiple versions of Encounter mode.

Version 1: Cap directly between the two teams.  Capping the base is an instant win.

Version 2: Cap directly between the two teams.  Capping only serves to give you domination points every few seconds.

Version 3: Spawns and the single cap form a big triangle on the map.  Think of Ocean for a second.  Put the 2 spawns in the NW and SW.  Put the single cap over on the east side of the map about half way up the side.  The two teams have a choice to make.  Do you intercept the enemy team, or do you run for the cap, or some of both?  And the cap could either be insta-win or just for an added point counter.  BTW, this would be like the version of Hotspot used in Clan Battles and Ranked, except that you wouldn't have the two bases near the spawns, only the cap over where the "C" cap usually is.  Though a different variation COULD include the two caps near the spawns for more variety.

 

There are so many things the map devs could do, if they'd just think outside the damned box when it came to cap and spawn locations.  And slightly different, yet relatively familiar battle modes, like Encounter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,649
[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles
22 hours ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

ok i get it, some people and some ships require islands in order not to get nuked immediately but its kinda annoying when every map is designed around this feature. especially with ships that have massive rudder shifts like cv's, battleships and some cruisers trying to maneuver around islands every 1-2km while being shot at and not exposing broadside is slightly getting annoying.. and dont get me wrong. this thread has nothing to do with people island hopping i have no salt about it. but its mainly that the clutter

of islands on some of these maps are just WAY too much. sure ships require cover but don't go and make the ENTIRE map cover. 

160px-Loop.pngmaps like this loop. you don't need to have that many islands. could probably easily cut 2 or 3 out.

 

160px-Shatter.pngmy favorite example of a broken map. going west in this map with a ship that needs open ocean and a lot of water to kite and dodge is suscide. the only good side to do that would be c which is really restricting game play, not to mention forget about going B with a ship that has poor maneuverability. you will never make it out alive.

 

edit. ocean is easily my favorite map and probably should be reintroduced into the game with maybe 4-5 islands AT MOST to allow for those people that complained when they didn't have any island cover to shoot from

This. So much this. Loop, Sea of Fortune, and Shatter are awful maps. That hopeless turd of an island in C on Shatter is why I always say the devs don't play the game. Every match on those maps is exactly the same. They all lack tactical flexibility and stretches of open water that make for good gameplay.  

The new map is more of the same either-camp-or-die-in-the-islands principle of high tier maps. A complete waste of dev time and effort. 

Makes me so sad that we can't have decent maps to play our best ships on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,649
[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles
16 hours ago, Crucis said:

 

2. I don't like the map design meta in this game.  It does nothing to promote world of warships.  All these maps do is promote World of Sea-tanks.  That said, I get that they can't have this game played on a single map (i.e. Ocean).  But that doesn't mean that every map has to be a damned clone of each other.  And most of the highest battle tier maps are exactly that, near clones of each other.  Not copy and paste jobs per se.  But they all seem to follow the same darned pattern. The map orientation is either strictly N/S or E/W.  One team spawns N, the other S (or E and W on the E/W orientation maps).  Then in the general spawn areas (about 3 rows or columns of the map on each side, the map is completely empty of islands in each team's "backfield".  And then in the middle 4 rows or columns, the maps are choked with islands.  It's freaking boring!!!

Look at the original maps.  They had a TON more originality to them.  Look at Big Race or New Dawn.  They don't match my clone description above.  Or look at the original version of Islands of Ice.  That's a vastly more interesting version than the current boring clone version.  Even the original Hotspot was more interesting, except for the fact of the terrible cross spawning concept.

There are so many things the map devs could do, if they'd just think outside the damned box when it came to cap and spawn locations.  And slightly different, yet relatively familiar battle modes, like Encounter.

Exactly. I've been making this complaint for ages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,613
[SALVO]
Members
16,720 posts
17,308 battles
11 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

This. So much this. Loop, Sea of Fortune, and Shatter are awful maps. That hopeless turd of an island in C on Shatter is why I always say the devs don't play the game. Every match on those maps is exactly the same. They all lack tactical flexibility and stretches of open water that make for good gameplay.  

The new map is more of the same either-camp-or-die-in-the-islands principle of high tier maps. A complete waste of dev time and effort. 

Makes me so sad that we can't have decent maps to play our best ships on.

I'm not sure that they don't play the game, Tai.  I think that part of the problem, if I understand this properly, is that different servers have different game play metas.  And from all I've heard, the Russian server meta favors a lot of close range combat.  So it's entirely possible that the way they perceive maps is considerably different from the way we on the NA server perceive maps.  Sadly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,611 posts
8,804 battles

tTZ1Rie.jpg

most people I talk with would like to have this map back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
284
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,006 battles
3 hours ago, Shigure_DD said:

tTZ1Rie.jpg

most people I talk with would like to have this map back

Oh i remember seeing vids of that map. Just cancer of how many islands there is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,649
[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles
21 hours ago, Crucis said:

I'm not sure that they don't play the game, Tai.  I think that part of the problem, if I understand this properly, is that different servers have different game play metas.  And from all I've heard, the Russian server meta favors a lot of close range combat.  So it's entirely possible that the way they perceive maps is considerably different from the way we on the NA server perceive maps.  Sadly.

 

That might be it. Because the maps favor that meta...  game desperately needs about 50 more maps, and a way for the players to be involved in the mapmaking process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
284
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,006 battles
7 hours ago, Taichunger said:

That might be it. Because the maps favor that meta...  game desperately needs about 50 more maps, and a way for the players to be involved in the mapmaking process. 

Or what would be cool if they could do something like Counter Strike Global Offensive, where your allowed to pick out of a certain list of maps say you wanted to play nuke and only nuke. Te game would find maps with just nuke but you can add multiple maps such as mirage, dust 2, inferno etc 

@Pigeon_of_War, @Radar_X, @SuperNikoPower 

What would you guys think? Or maybe like a NA only map set that fits the meta properly with maybe even fan created maps

Edited by RiverTheIdiot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,613
[SALVO]
Members
16,720 posts
17,308 battles
53 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Or what would be cool if they could do something like Counter Strike Global Offensive, where your allowed to pick out of a certain list of maps say you wanted to play nuke and only nuke. Te game would find maps with just nuke but you can add multiple maps such as mirage, dust 2, inferno etc 

@Pigeon_of_War, @Radar_X, @SuperNikoPower 

What would you guys think? Or maybe like a NA only map set that fits the meta properly with maybe even fan created maps

Honestly, River, being able to choose which maps (or battle modes, i.e. standard, domination, epicenter, etc.) you want to play is something I oppose.  I have no problem with WG running some player community opinion polls, but I think that in the end, you should have to play the maps and battle modes that MM puts you in without exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,943
[SYN]
Members
14,381 posts
10,260 battles
13 hours ago, Shigure_DD said:

tTZ1Rie.jpg

most people I talk with would like to have this map back

If the D and C cap were reworked, that map would be nice to have again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,613
[SALVO]
Members
16,720 posts
17,308 battles
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

If the D and C cap were reworked, that map would be nice to have again.

MrDeaf, supposedly some people considered the Ice map too big.  And if that was the "problem", the map devs could have fixed it by just cropping off 1-2 rows and columns from the north and west sides of the map.  Problem solved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
284
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,006 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, River, being able to choose which maps (or battle modes, i.e. standard, domination, epicenter, etc.) you want to play is something I oppose.  I have no problem with WG running some player community opinion polls, but I think that in the end, you should have to play the maps and battle modes that MM puts you in without exception.

Yeh but it's kinda annoying when the only maps you ever friggin get higher tiers is Tears of cruisers, shatter and faking loop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×