You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
digger52

just had one of this ship on our side in a tier 5/ 6 /7 fight

30 comments in this topic

[TRW]
Beta Testers
50 posts
12,157 battles

USS Monaghan (DD-354)

After the battle immediately looked up the history of the ship and its eventual sinking in a typhoon which claimed a number of US navy ships and damaged many others including the Baltimore and Iowa. Maybe we shouldnt complain about cyclones that appear in game, at least they cant sink us. I'm assuming its this one because it looked like a Farragut and not the previous WW1 to 1930 Monaghan.

[PVE]
Members
8,798 posts
7,234 battles
15 minutes ago, digger52 said:

USS Monaghan (DD-354)

After the battle immediately looked up the history of the ship and its eventual sinking in a typhoon which claimed a number of US navy ships and damaged many others including the Baltimore and Iowa. Maybe we shouldnt complain about cyclones that appear in game, at least they cant sink us. I'm assuming its this one because it looked like a Farragut and not the previous WW1 to 1930 Monaghan.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Monaghan

That is a new ship in the Wiki. I wonder if it will be a premium or a reward/event ship.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,046 posts
9,267 battles

I was playing it for the last couple hours, wonder if it was me you saw.

[PVE]
Members
8,798 posts
7,234 battles

I just noticed. With the T6 Shinonome, T6 Gallant, T6 Anshan, T6 Aigle, T6 Monaghan (possibly premium), T6 T-61 Soon (I didn't think that was a German word, maybe the T61 is named after a town? :Smile_teethhappy:) , then we need T6 premium destroyers for RU, Poland (A line of anything would be nice), and the Commonwealth (A line of anything would be nice). T6 Haida would be a good choice for Commonwealth I understand.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[USCC2]
Members
3,417 posts

At present my investment in the game doesn't make me feel spending money is good value (for me at least!), buuuut I've got to say I got a little excited when I heard about a USN DD premium, as I haven't got one - then I saw it was a Farragut (a knife fighting DD) with one of its guns taken away.

Oh well.

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, Fodder4U said:

I was playing it for the last couple hours, wonder if it was me you saw.

Does it float? :Smile_smile:

[-K-]
[-K-]
2,046 posts
9,267 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

Does it float? :Smile_smile:

Well it is me, so it mostly floats and may or may not go pew pew.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
8,798 posts
7,234 battles
4 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

Well it is me, so it mostly floats and may or may not go pew pew.

I thought all DDs not named Ernst Gaede went pew pew. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-]
[-K-]
2,046 posts
9,267 battles
6 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I thought all DDs not named Ernst Gaede went pew pew. :Smile_teethhappy:

When I am driving one they mostly go pewp pewp

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,193 battles

I came across a supertester in an Asashio yesterday. It floated, it pew pew'd, and doesn't have a deathpickle camo.

[PVE]
Members
8,798 posts
7,234 battles
27 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

When I am driving one they mostly go pewp pewp

When I drive DDs they go blub, blub usually. I had to add diving officers to all my ships. :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_child: 

• Funny 2

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,504 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

At present my investment in the game doesn't make me feel spending money is good value (for me at least!), buuuut I've got to say I got a little excited when I heard about a USN DD premium, as I haven't got one - then I saw it was a Farragut (a knife fighting DD) with one of its guns taken away.

Oh well.

The stats I saw for her are that she loses a gun but gains better stealth and a marginal stealthtorping ability. I love Farragut and I play her as a gunboat, but I'd trade 20% of my guns for lower detect and the capacity to stealthtorp under wider conditions than 'target coming almost directly straight at you and you're facing the right way to book it before they detect you.'

Edit: just looked at the Wiki to confirm what I'd read a few weeks ago and yep, she's got same torps as Farragut (but reloads them 20 seconds slower) but is .4km stealthier. So call it 6.3km with full stealth build and CE, giving her a reasonable stealthtorp envelope when you make approach right. Plus 2400 more hp than Farragut (13900 to 11500.) I'll totes trade a gun for those two things. 

Edited by poeticmotion

Members
620 posts
4,128 battles

Due to replacing one of the guns with 20mm mounts, her AA is also the best among her peers. Still not good AA exactly, but might shoot down the occasional plane.

Beta Testers
1,568 posts
3,893 battles
4 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I just noticed. With the T6 Shinonome, T6 Gallant, T6 Anshan, T6 Aigle, T6 Monaghan (possibly premium), T6 T-61 Soon (I didn't think that was a German word, maybe the T61 is named after a town? :Smile_teethhappy:) , then we need T6 premium destroyers for RU, Poland (A line of anything would be nice), and the Commonwealth (A line of anything would be nice). T6 Haida would be a good choice for Commonwealth I understand.

dqr4bfB.jpg

I bet @Pigeon_of_War can, too.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Monaghan was at Pearl Harbor too, she sunk a midget sub.

[USCC2]
Members
3,417 posts
3 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

The stats I saw for her are that she loses a gun but gains better stealth and a marginal stealthtorping ability. I love Farragut and I play her as a gunboat, but I'd trade 20% of my guns for lower detect and the capacity to stealthtorp under wider conditions than 'target coming almost directly straight at you and you're facing the right way to book it before they detect you.'

Edit: just looked at the Wiki to confirm what I'd read a few weeks ago and yep, she's got same torps as Farragut (but reloads them 20 seconds slower) but is .4km stealthier. So call it 6.3km with full stealth build and CE, giving her a reasonable stealthtorp envelope when you make approach right. Plus 2400 more hp than Farragut (13900 to 11500.) I'll totes trade a gun for those two things. 

For me it's the opposite as I use the torps as an ambush or defensive measure when too many ships are coming after little ole me lol. Other than that I use the Farragut as a DD hunter/killer. If it is a torp boat I was after then I'd use the Gallant or Anshan.

I can totally see where you are coming from with your POV though. :Smile_honoring:

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,504 battles
2 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

For me it's the opposite as I use the torps as an ambush or defensive measure when too many ships are coming after little ole me lol. Other than that I use the Farragut as a DD hunter/killer. If it is a torp boat I was after then I'd use the Gallant or Anshan.

I can totally see where you are coming from with your POV though. :Smile_honoring:

I did specify that I play her as a gunboat. Farragut's top two roles are cap control and DD hunter-killer. But I feel like trading one turret (especially since it's the #3 turret that has limited fire angles anyway) for stealthtorp capability is a fair trade. It adds a bit more versatility to what is already one of the most versatile DDs in the game. 

Not to mention that 2400 more hp is not a small upgrade. I'd trade the fifth turret just for that; 2400 hp is a big deal for a mid-tier DD. Good gunboat DD play is inherently a game of attrition; while a good player can often mitigate taking damage through smart play, you're going to take hits no matter what you do. 2400 more hp is enough to allow you to keep playing aggressively past the point at which a Farragut needs to start thinking about staying alive for the endgame. 

[PVE]
Members
8,798 posts
7,234 battles
17 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

I did specify that I play her as a gunboat. Farragut's top two roles are cap control and DD hunter-killer. But I feel like trading one turret (especially since it's the #3 turret that has limited fire angles anyway) for stealthtorp capability is a fair trade. It adds a bit more versatility to what is already one of the most versatile DDs in the game. 

Not to mention that 2400 more hp is not a small upgrade. I'd trade the fifth turret just for that; 2400 hp is a big deal for a mid-tier DD. Good gunboat DD play is inherently a game of attrition; while a good player can often mitigate taking damage through smart play, you're going to take hits no matter what you do. 2400 more hp is enough to allow you to keep playing aggressively past the point at which a Farragut needs to start thinking about staying alive for the endgame. 

I ground to Farragut recently and this sounds interesting. I'll have to try it. Thank you.

[USCC2]
Members
3,417 posts
12 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

:Smile_amazed: I acknowledged what you said and stated I could see your point of view; not sure what else I can say?

I just stated if WG was going to lessen the fire power of the Farragut copy, I see no point in using her as a gunboat (I'd use the proper Farragut). AA on a T6 DD, ooooh! Again if I wanted good AA I wouldn't be driving a T6 DD, and if I wanted a torp boat I would use another T6 DD like the Anshan or Gallant.

But again I understand your POV.

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,504 battles
3 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

:Smile_amazed: I acknowledged what you said and stated I could see your point of view; not sure what else I can say?

I just stated if WG was going to lessen the fire power of the Farragut copy, I see no point in using her as a gunboat (I'd use the proper Farragut). AA on a T6 DD, ooooh! Again if I wanted good AA I wouldn't be driving a T6 DD, and if I wanted a torp boat I would use another T6 DD like the Anshan or Gallant.

But again I understand your POV.

K. Taking the torps out of the equation, trading your least useful turret for a 20% hp increase makes her a better gunboat, but live your life. No one cares about the AA, it won't make a difference. 

[USCC2]
Members
3,417 posts
Just now, poeticmotion said:

K. Taking the torps out of the equation, trading your least useful turret for a 20% hp increase makes her a better gunboat, but live your life. No one cares about the AA, it won't make a difference. 

And I'm absolutely ok with your POV and the reasons why - they just differ from mine but that's ok, we can disagree.

Thank you for allowing me to live my life lol.