You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Unholy_Stench

Do you tier up immediately?

32 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
4,694 battles

So, from tiers 6 and up - do you tier up at the first opportunity?  Or, stay on a ship for a while?

For some reason - a sailor cat

32_530x.JPG

[MIA-A]
Members
1,968 posts
6,570 battles

I normally do so.

The only tech tree boat I've kept and play regularly is Fletcher. But I also have a fair number of premiums.

Beta Testers
1,291 posts
3,583 battles
2 minutes ago, Scratched said:

So, from tiers 6 and up - do you tier up at the first opportunity?  Or, stay on a ship for a while?

For some reason - a sailor cat

32_530x.JPG

My approach is different I work up at least half the regular xp on a ship after having done all the research of hulls and firing equipment and then free xp the rest. Lately though I am working through the ships with signals and camos and not free xping as I am saving up for Musashi.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

Most of the time. I do have a bunch of ships on a "buy back list" after I get the tier 10 and scrape together the credits to buy them again (Kongo, Konig, Nagato, Kuma, Hosho)

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles
13 minutes ago, Scratched said:

I research the ship and buy it when I get the right amount of XP. Sometimes, I'll FXP the last few thousand XP to buy it early if I'm impatient or there is a sale. I'm keeping all of the ships, so I am always short on silver.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

It depends, if I'm new to the ship type, and don't feel like I'm a strong player in the current ship, I'll wait to tier up, unless the current ship is a known dog. The other time I won't necessarily jump straight to the next ship is when it's tier 9 and 10. I don't think the current maps allow for very interesting game play when the ships are that powerful, so it almost feels like if you've seen one high tier game, you've seen them all.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,688 battles

I grind all the lines at once, but I have a priority in which ships get played first.

Once I unlock the next ship, I usually wait for a sale on that line.  The exception is a line that I am focusing on.  Those I buy immediately on having the necessary credits.

Currently. I'm focusing on Royal Navy cruisers, US Navy destroyers and battleships.  I have 3 ships waiting to be bought.

I also use Free XP to bypass the stock ship.

I play many ships.  I usually focus on a particular type in a given evening.  Finally, I will play any ship that is needed, or best, for a mission or challenge I care about.

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
693 posts
1,687 battles
28 minutes ago, Scratched said:

Depends on if I like the ship Im upgrading from or not and what my end goal in that line is.

If I like the current ship I take my time, enjoy it and keep playing it after Ive finished the grind. If I hate it I drop it like a hot potato the moment the grind is done. Similarly, if its the end goal in my reason for grinding that line I dont bother upgrading at all. (Yes sometimes I dont play a line for the tier 10, for instance my US BB grind effectively stopped at the Iowa).

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

As a non-premium player, I often don't have the credits to buy and purchase modules for new tier 8+ ships as soon as I unlock them, so it often goes on the backburner for a long time.

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

Yes, I tier up immediately if I have the credits and then tear up as I take my stock ship out to fight.  I will wait if there is a sale coming for a given line on the horizon, though...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,523 battles

Tier up immediately until T8-9. Your credit earnings will increase up to that point, then they tend to taper off at T9-T10 due to increased "maintenance cost" (the flat fee in credits you pay per round played).

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles

I tier up immediately as I am a collector of tech tree's not ships ( only have 18 in port ) . As of two weeks ago I completed the PA DD line and so now once again have every tech tree ship researched to elite status .

However there are some I have kept on the way up lines .

:Smile_honoring: 

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

I did when I first started playing.

For the past year or so, I'll sometimes wait to tier up is I really enjoy a ship or want to finish out a skill point for a commander. It also helps stock the bank with credits...

For the loooongest time, I stopped at tier VIII. I just haven't enjoyed the campy, bow-tanking play style you start seeing when you get thrown into IX and X battles. In fact, my first tier IX is the Missouri, which I got just a couple weeks ago after first playing a couple hundred games in the N Carolina. Still not sure when I'll buy a Iowa.

[RUST]
Members
860 posts
7,842 battles

I have a number of ships at every tier I like to play so I usually just keep going.  But some ships are fun to play and I rebuy them because I end up missing them.  Derpski, Orion, etc.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
21 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I tier up immediately as I am a collector of tech tree's not ships ( only have 18 in port ) . As of two weeks ago I completed the PA DD line and so now once again have every tech tree ship researched to elite status .

Dang... You said you were working the PA Chien; sounds like you ran to the top pretty quickly...

I'm still trying to play the ships I wound up with from Christmas containers. because of that and other irl issues, I haven't worried about grinding a line for months.

Last line I did so on was the RN CLs. Going up to T8 did nothing more than reinforce how much I suck with the RN CLs, and once I had my minimum games played up to T8, I sold everything except Emerald; which I've always liked because of its torpedoes.

22 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

However there are some I have kept on the way up lines .

Like the original flame-thrower (St Louis,) perchance?

[5D]
Members
1,211 posts
7,103 battles

It depends on how much fun I'm having as well as stats. 

If a ships is a blast to play, you'll have to pry it out of my cold... dead... mouse clickin fingers...

If I'm pulling stats on a ship that are really off the norm it's the same, although that doesn't hold my attention for as long. For instance... I had a 33% win rate today playing the Admiral Hipper... but I pulled over 2k wtr on it. It's not the most fun, but... pulling high numbers in the face of defeat is up there lol.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,776 posts
12,891 battles

I'm usually grinding three ships at a time.  As I focus on BBs and CAs, those have somewhat a priority.  But I still grind the DDs...albeit very slowly.  I grind all the XP for the next ship in tier...then purchase that ship and equip the main upgrade with free XP...and grind the rest.  While I'm grinding,I play a good share of other ships across all tiers that I enjoy playing.  I like variety...so I play from T5 to T10 depending on what suits me...with an occasional foray into the low tiers running a premium or two for grins. 

Overall, I play just for the fun of it rather than the grind.  Slow and steady does just fine.  Plenty of credits...multiple T10s.  A nice collection of premiums.  All good fun.   

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I’m a whale and don’t apologize for it. I’ll play a ship awhile until I get bored, then generally free XP forward into the new one to get some sense of advancing. As little sense as it makes to some at that point I’ll split my focus between playing the new and older ships in the line, actually spending more time on previous ships.

The wall that occurs between tiers after 5 is really limiting. It’s their Shtick and I get it and don’t give a [edited]. I have more money than time. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I grind my lines and up tier as soon as I can.  Usually have enough time in a ship by that time to learn the in's and outs.  If I like a particular ship in a line, I will stick it out and play it just because.

[-AGW-]
Members
635 posts
9,315 battles

I have some 8s and 9s and could advance to 10 in a US or KM BB, but I enjoy game play more at 5, 6 and 7 with cruisers. So I'll stick around there for now, train up some captains and see what cruisers are like at T8 and 9 - whenever I get there. 

[TCNNA]
Members
107 posts
3,983 battles

I don't normally tier up immediately. For example, I've had my Mogami for, I think, over a year now. I've been able to buy the Ibuki for almost as long. I haven't advanced, though, because I don't really want too. I like where I'm at right now and I love this ship. That and the Ibuki's price is stomach churning even though I've got just over 50,000,000 credits. 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I play whatever ships I want. It's more coincidental if I want to play a ship I'm "grinding."

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles

It depends. I usually research the next ship as soon as possible but only purchase it if I don't really like the one I'm currently playing. Those high-tier ships are pricey. I made the mistake of selling my North Carolina to pay for the Fletcher and it took me forever to get the money to re-purchase it. I have researched the Gearing but didn't buy it because most people say the Fletcher is as good, if not better. I therefore bought the Iowa, which pretty much broke me. I haven't played the Iowa much but from what I can tell I'm going to really like it. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,207 battles

I'll tier up immediately, but usually only when I have enough Ship XP (not Ship + FreeXP), unless there's a silver discount on the next ship. And if I like the previous ship, I'll keep it; my port is well over 100 ships now.

[PVE]
Members
498 posts
4,086 battles

I tier up right away and I sell the ships I don't click with but I keep my favorites for that tier.

I play the 'old' ships for missions and a couple of them are there to train new captains if the line doesn't have a premium I want.