You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Inigo_M0ntoya

It's the little things

26 comments in this topic

[JR]
[JR]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
390 posts
4,124 battles

This has probably been mentioned hundreds of times before and it's not like its a secret but shout out to WG for making the Unites States flags the 48 star variants.  If anyone hadn't noticed this yet.shot-18_01.31_17_49.51-0496.thumb.jpg.fc9ff422638bdff8bdbe906ecb3aea33.jpg

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,050 posts
11,553 battles

There are several versions.  The Albany for example has a much earlier version with fewer stars.

yet the high seas fleet can't even get a PC version of their ensign, while other nations get 2-3 different flags.

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles

Well most of the ships are WWII era or before.  50 stars did not occur until late 1950"s.

[JR]
[JR]
390 posts
4,124 battles
6 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

There are several versions.  The Albany for example has a much earlier version with fewer stars.

yet the high seas fleet can't even get a PC version of their ensign, while other nations get 2-3 different flags.

Yeah! Iv'e noticed that too for a quite a while.  My only question is why does USA get different flags for different time periods but other navies don't.  For example there are a few different German Navy ensigns that have been used throughout the years and even more variants of Russian/Soviet naval ensigns.

[JR]
[JR]
390 posts
4,124 battles
6 hours ago, dmckay said:

Well most of the ships are WWII era or before.  50 stars did not occur until late 1950"s.

I know, that's why I brought it to attention.  And it was 1959 with Alaska in January and Hawaii in August.

[PSP]
Members
6,047 posts
8,589 battles
6 hours ago, dmckay said:

Makes a person feel old to know that when he was born the flag only had 48 stars. 

[JR]
[JR]
390 posts
4,124 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Makes a person feel old to know that when he was born the flag only had 48 stars. 

That's incredible.  Iv'e never thought of that!  And who knows, someday we might have a 51 star flag and I would love to be around for that.

[PSP]
Members
6,047 posts
8,589 battles
3 minutes ago, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

That's incredible.  Iv'e never thought of that!  And who knows, someday we might have a 51 star flag and I would love to be around for that.

There are some reasons why we don't have one or two more states but since they are political we can't discuss them here. It may be, however, that the 50-star flag remains fixed no matter if new states are added to the US or not.

Edited by Snargfargle

[CAST]
Members
1,404 posts
5,819 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I was born in a country that doesn't even exist anymore (West Germany). :cap_old:

[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
8 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

I was born in a country that doesn't even exist anymore (West Germany). :cap_old:

Me too. The town still exists, but West Germany is no more.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[PSP]
Members
6,047 posts
8,589 battles
4 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

Me too, in a little town in Bavaria that has a notable history but I'll not say its name as it's just a bit too much personal information to be putting on the Internet.

[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Me too, in a little town in Bavaria that has a notable history but I'll not say its name as it's just a bit too much personal information to be putting on the Internet.

Good point. Guten Morgan.

Edited by Kizarvexis

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles
18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There are some reasons why we don't have one or two more states but since they are political we can't discuss them here. It may be, however, that the 50-star flag remains fixed no matter if new states are added to the US or not.

Well I remember well when Hawaii and Alaska came in.  I thing I was in the fourth grade. BIG competition Gov did it for school kids  to design a new flag. 50 is no problem. However IF we get another state it will be odd as to how to work it in in a pleasing manner.....BUT every new state gets a star. For awhile until around War of 1812 we were were adding a star and a stripe.  O my!  figured out that would look stupid after a few years. The flag the flew over Baltimore  in 1814 had 15 stripes.  O MY!  Gotta stop this or it will look stoooopid.  Just went back to 13 for the original colonies/states. "The Star Spangled Banner"  It's in the Smithsonian museum.  Sure many here have see it.  COOL!!!!!!   Ultra cool.  Old. 

Edited by dmckay

[PSP]
Members
6,047 posts
8,589 battles
10 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Well I remeber well when Hawai and Alasha camne in.  I thing I was in the fourth grade. BIG competition Gov did it for school kids  to design a new flag. 50 is no problem. However IF we get another state it will be odd as to how to work it in in a pleasing manner.....BUT every new state gets a star. For awhile until around War of 1812 we were were adding a star and a stripe.  O my!  figured out that would look stupid after a few years. The flag the flew over Fort MacHenrey had 15 stripes...it's in the Smithsonian museum. "The Star Spangeled Banner" !!  

Since we standardized on 13 stripes there's no reason why we can't standardize on 50 stars.

I guess it won't be too political if no specific territories are mentioned but the big holdup in places that are not currently states acquiring statehood is that  1. They speak English 2. They must have a self-sustaining economy 3. They must want to become a state 4. The UN doesn't like colonialism 5. The US bipartisan congress is split on the issue with one side voting for statehood and the other voting for the areas to become independent countries.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Since we standardized on 13 stripes there's no reason why we can't standardize on 50 stars. 

No no no no.  Adding a stripe for every new state would eventually resulted in a real LONG dumb looking flag.  States get a STAR!  That can be done in a pleasing manner. You not think!  It's an honor to have a star.  No problem!  I will not budge on this one.:Smile_honoring::Smile_izmena::Smile_facepalm:  Your turn.

Edited by dmckay

[PSP]
Members
6,047 posts
8,589 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

No no no no.  Adding a stripe for every new state would eventually resulted in a real LONG dumb looking flag.  States get a STAR!  That can be done in a pleasing manner. You not think!  It's an honor to have a star.  No problem!  I will not budge on this one.:Smile_honoring::Smile_izmena::Smile_facepalm:  Your turn.

Too many stars and the field will just appear light blue at a distance, which would change the appearance of the flag considerably. There is only one way 51-stars could be placed to look halfway decent.

1200px-US_flag_51_stars.svg.png

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Too many stars and the field will just appear light blue at a distance, which would change the appearance of the flag considerably. There is only one way 51-stars could be placed to look halfway decent.

Looks good to me. No problem.  States get a STAR!!!  I like your design. Fine!  A new state not getting a star would be a travesty of the American Way. And, by the way, I don't give a sh#t about what these "new" alt left freaks have to say. They are clueless as to American History. Are we perfect?  No. Have we tried? Yes. No such thing as perfect...nope. But much better than a dictatorship or freaking anarchy which some seem to think is cool. It is not.  Utopians get millions killed.....millions. Intolerant freaks. They know what they hate but they don't know what really is better. Kinda like the Bolsheviks. Lenin and his crowd of freaks. Devastating for Russia. Decades of it.

[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
41 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

25 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Looks good to me. No problem.  States get a STAR!!!  I like your design. Fine!  A new state not getting a star would be a travesty of the American Way. And, by the way, I don't give a sh#t about what these "new" alt left freaks have to say. They are clueless as to American History. Are we perfect?  No. Have we tried? Yes. No such thing as perfect...nope. But much better than a dictatorship or freaking anarchy which some seem to think is cool. It is not.  Utopians get millions killed.....millions. Intolerant freaks. They know what they hate but they don't know what really is better. Kinda like the Bolsheviks. Lenin and his crowd of freaks. Devastating for Russia. Decades of it.

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles
10 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

:Smile_honoring:  I am now getting too old to mindlessly do the "fashionable" PC thing.  I do not do the herd thing. Part of the problem is most Americans have never lived under total Gov control nor a real dictatorship......nor in a 3rd world country.  These places DO NOT make life better. Mindless and clueless. Very analogous to the last century of the Roman Empire. Vulgar culture.  Very crude. Gov corrupt. No will..... no manpower to defend her borders.  No will to defend.  Steamrolled.  Urban cities jammed with poor mobs who only followed those who gave em stuff for political advantage.  On and on. Happens.  Look around. Well, enough of that.  Carry on.

History does not repeat itself precisely....but human nature does. Same mistakes made over and over. I do now think this is just how it is. 

[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
9 minutes ago, dmckay said:

:Smile_honoring:  I am now getting too old to mindlessly do the "fashionable" PC thing.  I do not do the herd thing. Part of the problem is most Americans have never lived under total Gov control nor a real dictatorship......nor in a 3rd world country.  These places DO NOT make life better. Mindless and clueless. Very analogous to the last century of the Roman Empire. Vulgar culture.  Very crude. Gov corrupt. No will..... no manpower to defend her borders.  No will to defend.  Steamrolled.  Urban cities jammed with poor mobs who only followed those who gave em stuff for political advantage.  On and on. Happens.  Look around. Well, enough of that.  Carry on.

History does not repeat itself precisely....but human nature does. Same mistakes made over and over. I do now think this is just how it is. 

Living in Germany, while my Dad was in the US Army, and later joining the Army and going back to Germany were very good for me.

[PSP]
Members
6,047 posts
8,589 battles
5 hours ago, dmckay said:

It's amazing how many people in America think that the country would be peaceful if only there were no firearms, police, nor a military. These are the people who expect the government to provide for them but at the same time leave them alone, yet who stick their noses into everyone else's business because they consider everything different from the way they think as personal affront to themselves. A nation needs tough people. Why was the WWII generation of the US considered the "greatest"? It was because their fathers had fought in the Great War, their grandfathers in the Civil War and they, themselves, had lived through a depression and then fought in their own great war.

Now, the populace as a whole is much weaker. Gone are the citizen soldiers who were drafted and had to serve the country, much like one has to serve jury duty. Now less than 1% serve in the military. Even in my generation I saw a weakening of fortitude and a desire to get something without having to give something in return. I was told that I was crazy for joining the Army. Then, after I'd served, and was reaping the educational benefits, those same people were complaining to me that I was able to get government money when they couldn't.       

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It's amazing how many people in America think that the country would be peaceful if only there were no firearms, police, nor a military. These are the people who expect the government to provide for them but at the same time leave them alone, yet who stick their noses into everyone else's business because they consider everything different from the way they think as personal affront to themselves. A nation needs tough people. Why was the WWII generation of the US considered the "greatest"? It was because their fathers had fought in the Great War, their grandfathers in the Civil War and they, themselves, had lived through a depression and then fought in their own great war.

Now, the populace as a whole is much weaker. Gone are the citizen soldiers who were drafted and had to serve the country, much like one has to serve jury duty. Now less than 1% serve in the military. Even in my generation I saw a weakening of fortitude and a desire to get something without having to give something in return. I was told that I was crazy for joining the Army. Then, after I'd served, and was reaping the educational benefits, those same people were complaining to me that I was able to get government money when they couldn't.       

I look forward to jury duty as I want someone like me, and like you, on the jury if I ever was tried for something. Someone who will look at jury duty as a civic duty and not something to get out of. Thank you for serving in the Army. What MOS?

[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Look at my profile picture.

Duh, well that was dumb on my part. Fits the dumb grunt label. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
17,854 posts
5,099 battles
On Thursday, February 01, 2018 at 2:55 AM, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

You might have had it already, if the Quebec Referendum had indicated separation... :Smile_teethhappy: