You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

Largest Ship Extent

15 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,940 posts

Keep seeing the Nimitz Air Craft Carrier referred to as the worlds largest ship............................................And then I've seen this ship purportedly so large it had to be built in four or more different pieces.    So I decided to ask the most knowledgeable on the subject people I knew of?    Which holds the title?   And how effective would she be against the Nimitz?

Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Super_Carrier.png

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,246 battles

Just looking at it briefly, but I think the QE would be quite overmatched by any of the Nimitz class US CVs.  Note in the description that the ship is "the largest ship ever built for the United Kingdom's Royal Navy".  So it's nowhere close to the largest ship built in the world.  A quick glance at the Nimitz wiki reveals they can carry up to 90 aircraft, while the QE can only carry up to 40.  I'll let others do a more in-depth analysis if they want to.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,940 posts
5 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Just looking at it briefly, but I think the QE would be quite overmatched by any of the Nimitz class US CVs.  Note in the description that the ship is "the largest ship ever built for the United Kingdom's Royal Navy".  So it's nowhere close to the largest ship built in the world.  A quick glance at the Nimitz wiki reveals they can carry up to 90 aircraft, while the QE can only carry up to 40.  I'll let others do a more in-depth analysis if they want to.

Cool  TY!

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, DreadRaybo said:

Ya, I was just about to say, apparently Nimitz has roughly double the plane capacity, it looks like the QE carries the F-35b, but I think a lot of Nimitz carriers still have the F/A 18.

Supertester
1,463 posts
16 battles

Nuclear powered Nimitz is just flat out bigger than conventional QE.

QE is using more modern construction methods, whereby the ship is constructed from blocks built at different shipyards, and then transported to the main yard where they are put together to form the ship. The same practice was used for the Royal Navy's Type 45 Destroyers, and is being used for the new Type 26 frigates, and type 31e frigates (when they eventually get around to building them).

The practice of pre-fabricating parts of the ship is far more cost effective, hence it was used for QE. As for capability, QE is working up still. She is a fair bit smaller than the Nimitz & Ford, so expect capability to be scaled along those lines.

[WOLF2]
Members
240 posts
4,214 battles

Just to be a bit pedantic, the Gerald R Ford Class is slightly longer than the Nimitz class and offers approximately the same tonnage.  

Also, there are several Super Tankers and Container ships which easily out class either as "largest ship".  For example, GRF has a tonnage of ~ 100,000 long tonnes and a length of ~ 1100 ft.  The super tanker Seawise Giant (renamed many times) had a displacement of 646,642 long tonnes when fully loaded and a length ~1500 ft.  This ship retired in 2010 but there are other similar sized ships.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles

Super tankers are far bigger than any aircraft carriers, including Nimitz/Ford class carriers.

(Enterprise is longer, but Nimitz have slightly more displacement)

1920px-Bateaux_comparaison3.png

Members
2,748 posts
6,245 battles
4 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

Super tankers are far bigger than any aircraft carriers, including Nimitz/Ford class carriers.

(Enterprise is longer, but Nimitz have slightly more displacement)

1920px-Bateaux_comparaison3.png

I was thinking that the super tankeres were larger also as I was scrolling through the posts.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

And then there are ships that can just lift a Nimitz out of the water and sail off with it.

Anyone who claims that the Nimitz is the largest ship needs a serious reality check.

Cursed Dutch, always stealing American aircraft carriers instead of building their own. But at least now we know who's harboring Carmen Sandiego.

Edited by cometguy
  • Funny 3

[BORK]
Members
256 posts
5,275 battles

Some ships are limited in size based on if they need or want to traverse certain canals...like the Panama canal or Suez canal.

[JUICE]
Members
814 posts
6,369 battles

Nimitz class carriers were built to be deployed anywhere in the world so it is like MokrieDela said. They had to be able to get through the canals. The new carriers did not need to be bigger as there is way more room inside because they use magnetic catapults to launch aircraft not the steam system that the older carriers do.

[TNG]
Members
813 posts
6,173 battles
6 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

Keep seeing the Nimitz Air Craft Carrier referred to as the worlds largest ship............................................And then I've seen this ship purportedly so large it had to be built in four or more different pieces.    So I decided to ask the most knowledgeable on the subject people I knew of?    Which holds the title?   And how effective would she be against the Nimitz?

Queen_Elizabeth_Class_Super_Carrier.png

the Queen Elizabeth class carrier is about 60k tons, while the Nimitz is 100k+. The former is considered a mid size carrier by today's standards, similar to China's Liaoning Class. The Latter is a Super carrier.

The largest warship today is actually the Ford class carrier commission by USN very recently.

In terms of Queen Elizabeth vs Nimitz, let's set a few assumptions

• Both will be operating in a carrier strike group with additional subs, destroyers etc as support
  • Both are operating at full strength as designed: QE currently does not even have all the F35s fitted, and is not combat ready
  • Twocarrier strike groups are going at each other in open seas in the pacific. 

Without going into a full comparison of details, let's just look at some important numbers and parameters:

• Nimitz carries many more planes (80-100) vs QE (40+). Assume both use F35s, Nimitz carrier will use better F35 variant with more ammo capacity because Nimitz has catapult system and QE does not
  • Nimitz  has better support ships in Arleigh burke DDGs and Ticonderoga cruisers, and the most powerful nuclear powered attack submarines
  • Nimitz has better non combat support aircrafts for recon
  • USN crew is well trained and battle hardened, the RN has not operated a CV for a while
  • Nimitz is a nuclear carrier (CVN) and QE is conventional powered: Nimitiz can sustain longer

Overall, Nimitz will win in a head to head combat most of the time, given its ability to launch more planes, better sustainability and better support ships. It will be similar to putting a Midway + tier 10 cruisers/DDs against a Hiryu + tier 8 cruiseres and DDs.

however, luck is a big factor in War. QE has a fighting chance to defeat the Nimitz just as USN won the battle of midway with fewer planes and ships.