You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

A (non controversial) Look Back at the USN CA Line Before it Splits

78 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,726 battles

This shouldn’t trigger anyone.  Just a restrospective of the USN CA Line before we get the split.  Re-live the memories.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
1 minute ago, NoZoupForYou said:

This shouldn’t trigger anyone.  Just a restrospective of the USN CA Line before we get the split.  Re-live the memories.

The grind is long and no never worth ever doing.

Simply buy a premium.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 8
  • Angry 1

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
Just now, abyssofthetriffid said:

The grind is long and no never worth ever doing.

Simply buy a premium.

salem when

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
1 minute ago, jason199506 said:

salem when

The so called rainbow takes your tier 7 boggo standard ship to hell called tier 9.

Not even mentioning the horrific maps after tier 6.

• Bad 4
  • Angry 1

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,278 battles

Thanks for posting this Zoup. Just remember folks, whether you agree or disagree with the post, understand there can't be any trolling and to contribute constructively on the topic. Thanks!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,278 battles
2 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

salem when

No information on when the Salem might be released. Keep checking the News Portal for the latest announcements.

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
3 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Thanks for posting this Zoup. Just remember folks, whether you agree or disagree with the post, understand there can't be any trolling and to contribute constructively on the topic. Thanks!

Thats cool i was simply posting the truth of the game as is right now thanks.

• Bad 5

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,856 battles
8 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

This shouldn’t trigger anyone.

giphy.gif

• Funny 4

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

ok now that i finished the video........

i think you are still under the old impression of 13sec reload balti, the buffed(10sec base) balti is a lot better now

oh, and....montana >>>>>>> iowa:Smile_izmena:

i dont hate ibuki that much....id even say i enjoy it more than zao

des moines reload is 5.5sec natural, 4.84 sec for reload mod, AR can bring it to be barely lower than 4sec

Edited by jason199506

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles
11 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Dang @NoZoupForYouto be sure you're no rock star but who'd believe people would be so upset about you singing a Christmas carol?  And while @Snargfargle has spared us his vocalisms... Wait, What?  Oh...the CV thread?  Um, okay, nevermind...

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

I have to disagree on your pensa/NO point, I absolutely loved the pensa, and brought the Indianapolis based on that, whereas I loathe the NO with all my body and soul.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
8,034 battles

Stock Baltimore on north, when she had 3.5rpm and no super heavy shell against a zao sailing 80° perpendicular to starboard at/about 8km: 5 hits, zero damage; hit him between the B turret and the funnel.

Salvo # 2 hit him forward of his torpedo tubes, no damage: the rage...

Hotspot, (don't remember what patch, radar didn't not exist) supporting A cap in my Des Moines, chasing out the shimma when an unseen bb salvo hits me bow on; no damage but taking both my front turrets prominently; try playing t10 sailing around backward at 10kts? Made me think of submarines.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
19 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

I have to disagree on your pensa/NO point, I absolutely loved the pensa, and brought the Indianapolis based on that, whereas I loathe the NO with all my body and soul.

Perfectly fine :)  I’m sure many love her.  For me...  I could t do it.  She’s not a bad ship though.  Again...  everyone has different taste in ships and opinions.  It’s be boring if we all liked the same thing!

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
Just now, NoZoupForYou said:

Perfectly fine :)  I’m sure many love her.  For me...  I could t do it.  She’s not a bad ship though.  Again...  everyone has different taste in ships and opinions.  It’s be boring if we all liked the same thing!

True, I just couldn't find the NO to work for me in any way, while I have memories of carrying games in the Pensa. Very odd, I think it was the rudder shift on them for me.

[PHU]
Beta Testers
197 posts
3,589 battles
30 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Well, here's some constructive criticism right off the bat.  I'm honestly dreading what WG is going to come up with for changes to the downtiered ships when this split goes through.  The last thing any of these cruisers need is any further nerfs, yet we've already heard from company reps that we'll be seeing some.

The Pensacola alone, she's all but a garbage ship at her tier that most players can't get great results out of.  She's got paper thin armor, but at least there's good maneuverability and gun handling to counterbalance that.  I can make her work with that, but we've already heard she's looking at possible reload, stealth, and handling nerfs to fit in at tier 6.  Her reload's already the slowest you can get for 8" guns, and taking anything away from that ship's handling will make her straight up garbage.  I'd argue that taking her down as is to tier 6 will only see a slight improvement in stat performance, just due to her not seeing tier 9 outside of fail divisions anymore.

New Orleans is going to hurt a bit more by losing access to radar, the concealment module, and the tier 8 bow armor thickness.  She's sluggish compared to Pensacola and is armored just enough to eat pens from enemy ships.  If she loses that slightly improved reload in downtiering, she'll be exactly where she is now-dead last in performance.  Honestly, I think this ship still needs to be buffed to be competitive at her current tier.

Baltimore's decent where she is now, but going down to tier 8's going to cost her both that heal and a module slot.  You throw in a nerf to her reload and she'll be yet another bottom performer.  She'll still see a lot of tier 9-10 battles, so we'll see her performance drop without some kind of compensating buffs to go with the downtier.

Truthfully, I think all USN cruisers need a good going over.  AA power isn't a worthwhile balancing point anymore, and the almost universal lack of torpedoes compared to other lines gives them a serious handicap against all other cruiser lines in game when it comes to dealing out damage.  The USN AP shells are a nice feature, but I'd look into giving the line another strength to balance off of.  Possibly either good maneuverability or improved damaged resistance.  We've got several real world examples of USN cruisers taking torps that blow off the bow, yet still managed to stay afloat and get repaired quickly enough to return to the front during the war.  And that's not even getting into the issues with cruisers in general being so easily erased by both battleships and destroyers...

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,722 posts
4,522 battles

A new line of satanic super clevelands with radar/hydro/defensive aa and RAPID FIRE he.

Yeah I'm game :)

Good video Zoup, everything was on point and accurate...best part was touching on the vital nature of grinding the tier 9 ships to learn how the 10's work.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,288 posts
3,583 battles
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Pensacola can be hard , but once you learn her it's not a bad ship. New Orleans is decent to an extent. Your right on Baltimore being one of the highlights. Des Moines is a beast in the right hands. It would be interesting to see what your thoughts would be in a future video on a split for USN BB's.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
1 hour ago, Wardog_Noir said:

Well, here's some constructive criticism right off the bat.  I'm honestly dreading what WG is going to come up with for changes to the downtiered ships when this split goes through.  The last thing any of these cruisers need is any further nerfs, yet we've already heard from company reps that we'll be seeing some.

The Pensacola alone, she's all but a garbage ship at her tier that most players can't get great results out of.  She's got paper thin armor, but at least there's good maneuverability and gun handling to counterbalance that.  I can make her work with that, but we've already heard she's looking at possible reload, stealth, and handling nerfs to fit in at tier 6.  Her reload's already the slowest you can get for 8" guns, and taking anything away from that ship's handling will make her straight up garbage.  I'd argue that taking her down as is to tier 6 will only see a slight improvement in stat performance, just due to her not seeing tier 9 outside of fail divisions anymore.

New Orleans is going to hurt a bit more by losing access to radar, the concealment module, and the tier 8 bow armor thickness.  She's sluggish compared to Pensacola and is armored just enough to eat pens from enemy ships.  If she loses that slightly improved reload in downtiering, she'll be exactly where she is now-dead last in performance.  Honestly, I think this ship still needs to be buffed to be competitive at her current tier.

Baltimore's decent where she is now, but going down to tier 8's going to cost her both that heal and a module slot.  You throw in a nerf to her reload and she'll be yet another bottom performer.  She'll still see a lot of tier 9-10 battles, so we'll see her performance drop without some kind of compensating buffs to go with the downtier.

Truthfully, I think all USN cruisers need a good going over.  AA power isn't a worthwhile balancing point anymore, and the almost universal lack of torpedoes compared to other lines gives them a serious handicap against all other cruiser lines in game when it comes to dealing out damage.  The USN AP shells are a nice feature, but I'd look into giving the line another strength to balance off of.  Possibly either good maneuverability or improved damaged resistance.  We've got several real world examples of USN cruisers taking torps that blow off the bow, yet still managed to stay afloat and get repaired quickly enough to return to the front during the war.  And that's not even getting into the issues with cruisers in general being so easily erased by both battleships and destroyers...

Agree the Pensa is fine as is IMO for Tier 6.  No radar on her,  reload is like 14 seconds, and she is made of citadel.  I'd take a Cleveland as is Tier 6 over the Tier 7 Pensa right now if given a choice.

The Baltimore, however, is likely to lose it's 27mm bow and get a reload nerf.  I am hoping not to NO levels

And the New Orleans will be made to suck a little more than the Baltimore because of balance.  Hopefully, not as hard as the Pensa sucks right now sans losing its radar.

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles

I found Pensacola godly at Tier 7. New Orleans is a floating trash heap at absolute best in comparison to the nimble scalpel that is the Pensacola.

Pensa at Tier 6 could probably withstand a reload nerf to 20 seconds (fairly historical for WWII era 8-inch guns, one of the huge complaints of the fleet and the reason so many Clevelands were built, because the 6-inch gun with fixed instead of bagged propellant could go 10 RPM) IF NOTHING ELSE WAS NERFED.

I'm goddamned amazed at the controversy over British heavy cruisers given all the designs I'm digging up from the late 1800s that would still work... and sad that there's no Northampton, ancestor of all later US heavy cruisers, marked on the US CA line.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
3 hours ago, _V12 said:

giphy.gif

What is the original context of that image...

[SF-3]
Members
1,438 posts
7,891 battles
2 hours ago, Wardog_Noir said:

Great post. I was thinking the same thing. To me it seems the USN line is so old and has been power crept that down tiering most of the ships with no changes would put them on par with the other lines.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
2 hours ago, Wardog_Noir said:

Some nice feedback in there i'm actually slowly working through my own breakdown of the cruisers and what i'd like to see. And this has a fair degree of alignment with my own views. The USN cruisers like all cruisers rely on avoiding incoming fire to survive. That relies on a combination of maneuvering characteristics and effective firing range. For the Pepsi and the Nola thay have that range gap where they can make it work, but because their so short ranged and because their margin of error is so slim they're much less easy to use. Baltimore's issue is that she's shorter ranged than Nola whilst being vastly less agile. Baltimore dosen't island camp because it's the best answer to every situation she finds herself in, she does it because it's the only answer she has that works. Even with range mad her margin of dodge-ability range is incredibly slim  and really at that rnage she's outside the rnage at which her guns are truly effective due to shell arcs.

Nola and Pepsi are also plagued by insufficient DPM IMO.

ALl of this means that any nerfs to maneuvering or range are going to leave the entire line wreaked. And even if they don't touch Nola and Pepsi in that regard, if they don;t buff Baltimore's handling and probably range she's going to be the ame limited application one trick pony she is now, and it's that complete lack of flexibility thats holding Baltimore back IMO.

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles

Hey guys?

Why exactly are we concerned about US cruiser split?

It's coming after the French battleships right?

*Warning: bad puns ahead*

The forum admins clearly tell us that the French battleships are happening just before the anniversary of Toulon ("before too long" reads as "Before Toulon").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_French_fleet_in_Toulon

And that was 27 November, 1942. So we have until December 2018 at the earliest before we have to be concerned about the US cruiser split.

[-DZ-]
Members
171 posts
7,111 battles

I enjoyed the video. The Pensacola was a pain for me until I got it fully upgraded. Then it was fun to bob and weave like crazy while dishing out damage. And that was before her buffs.

New Orleans was frustrating, so frustrating that I gave up the line for over a year. But when I finally decided to finish the grind, it finally clicked with me the last 50k of the grind to the Baltimore and I started liking the ship.

Now I have the Baltimore and have loved it since day 1.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
6 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

You know someone will find a way to be triggered.