Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reckun

Grozovoi or Z-52?

15 comments in this topic

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles

Already have (and love) my Gearing, and am looking to grind my second dd line.  I really want a more gunboat design and have decided to grind either the Russian or German line.  The Russian line has very short range torpedoes but very good guns and defensive AA.  The German line has decent guns (AP) and torps 10.5k with a very short reload, and HYDRO.  I have been leaning towards the Z-52, but here lately I have seen a TON of Grozovoi's in randoms.

Has the Grozovoi been buffed recently to where it would be a better choice?  Is the hydro that important to make the Z-52 the obvious choice?  Which would win in a 1v1?  Why am I all of a sudden seeing a ton of Grozovoi's from top ranked players?  I hardly ever see Z-52s. :(

Thanks for your advice!!!

Edited by Reckun

[-K-]
Members
5,086 posts
8,967 battles

If you want guns, go Groz.  If you like a more hybrid playstyle, go Z-52. 

Z-52 has pretty good torps that reload alarmingly quick, which allows for a more flexible playstyle than Groz.  

But Groz unto herself is a very good ship.  She's just not as good as a knife fighter and cap contester as her German counterpart.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,918 battles

Just curious - if you want gunboat DD, why not Khabarovsk?

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles
16 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Just curious - if you want gunboat DD, why not Khabarovsk?

The Khaba is on my to-do list, but I want something I can use in Clan Battles and I need to be able to push caps.  I have the Gearing, but I want options in case my clan wants to go a different direction, or the Gearing is the rental.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
10,214 battles

Z-52 has some pretty unique qualities as a cap contestor for Clan Battles, if it's the same grind length I would recommend the Z-52.  I played in a bunch of clan Battles last season, and while I saw a few Khabas, I saw mostly Gearing and Z-52 while almost no Grozovois.

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles
9 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Z-52 has some pretty unique qualities as a cap contestor for Clan Battles, if it's the same grind length I would recommend the Z-52.  I played in a bunch of clan Battles last season, and while I saw a few Khabas, I saw mostly Gearing and Z-52 while almost no Grozovois.

Thank you!  The more I think about it, the more the z-52 makes more sense as a compliment to the Gearing.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,918 battles
30 minutes ago, Reckun said:

The Khaba is on my to-do list, but I want something I can use in Clan Battles and I need to be able to push caps.  I have the Gearing, but I want options in case my clan wants to go a different direction, or the Gearing is the rental.

Yeah, I'm boycotting the rentals.  Why put effort and rewards into a ship I can't keep?  I'll get there when I earn it.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
78 posts
3,482 battles

I would argue that a properly specced Captain coupled with the right modules, can and will make Grozovoi and very competent contestant in a cap. Its guns have a very high rate of fire and if you are using concealment mod with an appropriate camo, your visibility drops to 6km and you have 10km torpedoes. She does turn rather slowly, but also equip her with rudder shift module and the appropriate flag and she becomes a beast to be reckoned with. 

Admittedly, I do not yet own the Z52, but Grozovoi compared to others, sans the Khaba, will melt some DDs in a knife fight.

[5IN]
Members
1,786 posts
8,109 battles

A well driven Z-52 will own the Groz.  The German AP and hydro combo are pretty dangerous.  Granted, I don't have a Z-52 (yet... only part way through Z-46), but those that I see are tough.  Don't get me wrong, Groz is a great tin can, that is pretty flexible, I just think the Z has an edge.  

Also, I think Z sits lower in the water, which would make it a harder target, but I could be mistaken. 

Good luck with whichever you choose!

B

• Cool 1

Members
1,781 posts
8,123 battles
On 1/31/2018 at 10:35 AM, Reckun said:

Already have (and love) my Gearing, and am looking to grind my second dd line.  I really want a more gunboat design and have decided to grind either the Russian or German line.  The Russian line has very short range torpedoes but very good guns and defensive AA.  The German line has decent guns (AP) and torps 10.5k with a very short reload, and HYDRO.  I have been leaning towards the Z-52, but here lately I have seen a TON of Grozovoi's in randoms.

Has the Grozovoi been buffed recently to where it would be a better choice?  Is the hydro that important to make the Z-52 the obvious choice?  Which would win in a 1v1?  Why am I all of a sudden seeing a ton of Grozovoi's from top ranked players?  I hardly ever see Z-52s. :(

Thanks for your advice!!!

They are somewhat balanced around AA capabilities. I say somewhat because if their is a CV there no choice, Gearing/Groz are the only real choices. However if you know there is no CV I would think Z-52 is the hands down choice since you are getting Hydro almost for free.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

if wg allows  CV,  grosovoi will become popular.   As is for CB,  I would go with z52 as it offers best flexibility

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
140 posts
11,029 battles
4 minutes ago, centarina said:

if wg allows  CV,  grosovoi will become popular.   As is for CB,  I would go with z52 as it offers best flexibility

I agree my Groz is specked AA at 81 love the ship but without CV in the match Z52 is a better choice Groz has great guns but is very large and does not turn all that great.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles

DDs are sadly misplaced in the current CW Cruiser-heavy meta, but if you MUST pick between the two, the Z-52 hands-down brings a lot more to the table than the Grozevoi ever will.  The Grozevoi is a one-trick pony and its trick is AA, and there are no carriers currently in CW and I doubt we'll see them in the upcoming season.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles
On 1/31/2018 at 8:35 AM, Reckun said:

If we are talking randoms, the Z-52 is HANDS DOWN THE WINNER.  I am firmly convinced that the Z-52 is the absolute best destroyer at Tier 10.  Take a look at my stats in the Z-52 if you want some proof as to my rationale.  It has so-many-offensive-tools at its disposal.  Nothing goes into caps and murders like a Z-52, radar notwithstanding.

59d3e51ffde60965b3a125147986c5fc.png

Edited by JochenHeiden

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

for most fun, I think its tough to beat PADD at t9/t10.   I am having lot of fun with chungmu and just unlocked yueyang.   it is not a great cap bully though and have different play style.      

Sign in to follow this