Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Public Test Server: What Are Our Obligations? (TANSTAAFL)

17 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" said Robert Heinlein (I think it was him).

I get that it is only for one or two four-five day cycles every few weeks and all progress is wiped. But for those few days, oh the resources you are given, and what fun you must get to have! I haven't tried it yet, but it must be like a freakin' all-inclusive warship-buffet amusement park in there!

So... the obvious question. It seems like the ultimate free ride (even if it's WOWS' Groundhog Day to some extent). What does Wargaming want from us in return, especially given that there are rewards pushed over to our live accounts for participating to sufficient degrees, once all the fun is had? 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,106 posts
18,628 battles

You can test ships you didn’t own by now. There are also certain kind of missions you need to do if you want the rewards. Nothing else.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

You simply play the PT and give feedback if you feel like you want to. The only downside is it is only tiers 8-10 (With reduced research costs), and when the MM is either flooded by people trying to do the missions to get the rewards (if the rewards require a certain ship type), or empty enough to make you wait 5 mins

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,260 battles

PT server is fun. They start you at 30,000 doubloons 530,000,00 silver, and a 15 pt captain for each line. From there they give you missions or new ships to unlock. They could care less how spend your$$, but they always have stuff they steer you towards trying out. Rewards are great and you try out new things. You might find a survey in port on the live server occasionally, that's it.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

It is an all expense vacation from the live game. It is checking if the Rif-Raf can slog through the almost released version. It asks you be on the look out for bugs and report them VIA forums {although they send the info straight to the incinerator} After all you are Rif-Raf . But you get to play ships you don't have yet in the Live game,you are introduced to the new features before the gen. public. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,260 battles

Also, the salt isn't too bad, unless you read Russian!

And watch where your torps go, some people like to sail into them and watch you turn pink, lol!

[STW-D]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
1,646 posts
5,006 battles

Until i read the thread, i really couldn't see how this was connected to @TANSTAAFL.

Beta Testers
107 posts
1,345 battles

A good thing about the WOWS test server is that there's no tag next to your name announcing what server you're from. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

You have to give weegee your soul

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

WG will give specific mission that make you play the ship they want to focus on

one obvious example being prior to smoke mechanics change, you get prem account on live server for winning X games in british cruiser

you will also be emailed surveys regarding changes in the PT, they want to know how you feel about the changes, whether the changes make the game better/worse, or you didnt even notice the change

although i greatly doubt whether WG look at those surveys............im pretty sure 99.99% of us voted against "badge in your face" during 0.7.0PT, yet we still get it on live server

Edited by jason199506

[WOLF9]
Members
1,022 posts
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" said Robert Heinlein (I think it was him).

I get that it is only for one or two four-five day cycles every few weeks and all progress is wiped. But for those few days, oh the resources you are given, and what fun you must get to have! I haven't tried it yet, but it must be like a freakin' all-inclusive warship-buffet amusement park in there!

So... the obvious question. It seems like the ultimate free ride (even if it's WOWS' Groundhog Day to some extent). What does Wargaming want from us in return, especially given that there are rewards pushed over to our live accounts for participating to sufficient degrees, once all the fun is had? 

Well, you do have to get into this windowless white van that WG sends by, but there is candy involved.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles
10 hours ago, MCCIV said:

The only downside is it is only tiers 8-10

Does this mean we literally cannot access T1-7 ships? :Smile_ohmy:

10 hours ago, toosonmike said:

They could care less

Couldn't care less, I believe, is the expression. Though I once read a vampire novel in which one character states of another that "...of [his] fate, I knew nothing and cared less." (Compare WOWS: cool ships don't look at explosions.)

8 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

You have to give weegee your soul

Haven't we already done that just by playing the live game? :Smile_teethhappy:

Of course the other price is that basically I have to download a complete new version of the game to my laptop, but I just got done freeing up some space recently, so that should be all good. And then I believe I just sign on with all the same details I use for the normal account, yes?

Gameplay over there should be interesting - those who sign on for PTS generally ought to be of a more focused and enlightened kind (regarding the way the game mechanics work, not in the personal-philosophy sense), so theoretically I should find a much more competitive level of play; fewer potatoes and suchlike. Or does the PTS reflect the general population?

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,031 battles
16 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

You can test ships you didn’t own by now. There are also certain kind of missions you need to do if you want the rewards. Nothing else.

There needs to best Premium ship testing, PvE only if it has to be. 

All the previews written by contractually binded individuals (not to mention individuals relying on WG for rent money) are not to be trusted.

Edited by NeutralState

[YORHA]
Members
3,244 posts
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Does this mean we literally cannot access T1-7 ships? :Smile_ohmy:

There are lower tier ships available but you will never get enough players in them to get a match.  Everyone uses PTS to try out ships they don't own... mostly in tiers IX and X.

Members
125 posts
6,615 battles

I get to try ships that I might wish to grind for.  It also gives me a chance to play ships that I might be up against.  Can't tell you how many times I've had that 'oh, now I know how they do that' moment.  It also gives you a chance to try different things without trashing somebody else's WR.  ....and you get some free flags.

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,090 battles

very little (meaning few) whiny school kids being salty in the PTS in my opinion

Sign in to follow this