You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
X15

Popped the model cherry

47 comments in this topic

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

I wanted something "constructive" to do in my free time as video games tend to get me tilted. I decided modeling might be a reasonable dive, and would keep me close to one of my favorite subjects (botes).

So here is my first ever attempt at building a model, the Revell 1/426 USS Arizona: (second spoiler is finished product)

Spoiler

qFuYJ4n.jpg

I started out a bit shaky, I didn't have any plastic cement and my paintbrush stock was pretty abused. The fact I have only ever painted for school assignments years ago didn't help anything.

mbk3QKf.jpg

Eventually I got the glue and things started falling into place. I did have an issue with the hull halves not wanting to stick together. But from what I read this is a pretty normal issue and that some sanding and rubber bands are the secret. I also realized I had no red paint.

There was also a small hiccup, both literally and figuratively, that involved me dumping the entire vial of black paint into my lap. Good times, I liked those pants.

8M2alxb.jpg

Spoiler

lb0JS4a.jpg

Not perfect (or even decent) by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it well enough. 

I learned there's good masking tape and bad. That the correct brush can change your enjoyment level significantly. Rubber bands and toothpicks are your friends. And plan your cementing vs painting process carefully.

Any tips from more experienced model builders out there?

• Cool 2

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Very nice, much better than my first attempt at a model build.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,646 battles

Looks great, brother! Thanks for sharing! I have not built a model in, oh... 40 years? Tempts me to give it another go!

Respects,

Am

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Good Job.

Spent the first few minutes staring at the picture trying to figure out what the jigsaw puzzle pieces were for...well I'm a happy idiot anyway.

Beta Testers
1,561 posts
3,887 battles

Looks better than any of the snap-tite funny cars I ever made when I was a kid.  Good job, keep going, your next one will look even better!

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles

Not bad.  Your next step is to try to match the historic colors.  Most model instructions have some color key.  (Revell may key to Testors paints.)

Here's the Tamiya color charts.  Pay attention to the TS and XF series for ships.  Or if you use gloss paints, you can get a spray "flat" finish.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
4 minutes ago, surratus said:

Good Job.

Spent the first few minutes staring at the picture trying to figure out what the jigsaw puzzle pieces were for...well I'm a happy idiot anyway.

Well, if you're still curious: oRTT26J.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Not bad.  Your next step is to try to match the historic colors.  Most model instructions have some color key.  (Revell may key to Testors paints.)

Here's the Tamiya color charts.  Pay attention to the TS and XF series for ships.  Or if you use gloss paints, you can get a spray "flat" finish.

I found Arizona's paint to be a bit of a heated subject on the internet. I'll probably give the deck a wooden color at some point. I'm not proficient enough to do a completely historical paint job justice yet, but I intent to do more in the future and I'll keep that in mind. I'm also fairly sure my blue is a bit too blue.

I used Testors flat colors for this, save the red which was just "red" and the only red my local store carried. And I was too excited to wait for a shipment so here we are.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,703 posts
11,317 battles

Nice, I have thought about giving a model a try... but I am worried about how badly it could turn out lol.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
2 minutes ago, Scratched said:

Looks good!

I didn't realize models (especially ships) were so darn expensive!

Ship + paint + glue was less than $40 for me. Making it less than what I paid to get the Arizona in game.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

At least when I do tanks, the glue that you brush on is ten billion times better than the actual solid modeling glue. Dunno if same can be said about ships

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,479 battles

Very cool!  I haven't built models in years, but I love seeing other people's work.  Keep it up!

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles
37 minutes ago, MCCIV said:

At least when I do tanks, the glue that you brush on is ten billion times better than the actual solid modeling glue. Dunno if same can be said about ships

Agreed. I've found Tamiya's Extra Thin to be especially nice. Put some on the edges to help it stick together, hold the pieces together, and run the brush down the seam. That Extra Thin cement just goes right in that little gap and fills it in quite nicely.

1 hour ago, X15 said:

Best way to get better is just to practice.

You can look up tons of tips and tricks online.

A Spray can (model paint, not Rustoleum), or an airbrush if you plan to keep building, give much better results on those large areas. A lot faster too.

Build and paint the major pieces separately. Ideally you want to get as much built and painted in pieces (individual turrets, front deck house, aft deck house, etc) as you can before you are forced to put them on the hull. Things are much easier to deal with when they are separate.

Painters tape works well for straight lines. Like the black line between the main hull color and the red below the water line. A run of tape outlining the line will leave clean straight edges. Just make sure the paint you are  putting the tape on is 100% dry. I like to wait a week with Acrylics. 

If you are a light touch with a razor blade, painters tape is also good for marking off patters, though you have to be very careful not to press to hard and score the plastic. Silly putty rolled into strands also works well for making off or laying down curved patters.

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
79 posts
14,346 battles

I remember the first battleship I ever built, was the Revell USS North Carolina, I remember it being better than my second attempt but I also went through a phase where I destroyed most of the things I built and most of those things ended up in the trash. I do have the exact same USS Arizona but all I did was glue a few pieces together and my dad kind of did the rest. That was kind of when I was a kid and preferred snap kits opposed to glue and paint, and ever then their chance of survival was still low. LEGO's master race...

I am a lot better at building models now but when ever I look at a Fine Scale magazine, I  get envious, so I am just going to say I am quite moderate. However, I do have a few tips: sand paper and filler are your friends, tape is extremely useful when trying to get a straight edge but also when trying to hold two halves together, and it wouldn't hurt to invest in an airbrush. My Bismarck has been on the back burner for a while, but I used pin stripping tape to get most of the lines, I also relied heavily on an airbrush to get the hull red and gray. I do like using spray paints most of the time, but sometimes you just need to use a brush...

Spoiler

2bd2e14a9b83a36f580eb1fcd10b720b.thumb.jpg.1bf152c6d50cd73890b631baa083ea51.jpg

Here's something that is more current for me, in the middle of working out a two tone metallic finish on a 1/72 B-36. I'll figure it out eventually...

Spoiler

83bc7a8deac54a04c7fa03cc517ba82d.thumb.jpg.ada5bede869ed803060d4f3ef150690a.jpg

I do like your Daylight Special puzzle, hope you finish it, SP 4449 certainly is frame worthy.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
107 posts
1,342 battles
1 hour ago, Scratched said:

Looks good!

I didn't realize models (especially ships) were so darn expensive!

The 1/700 models are pretty cheap $20-$40 dollars. I've been thinking about doing another ship model, I did a Essex-class CV a few years back but I really didn't paint it that well.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Not bad mate! I need to go back and rebuild my Arizona at some point as well.. though I may just buy it again and start over, as my original one is beaten to hell and back and years old at this point.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,529 posts
13,977 battles
7 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Nice, I have thought about giving a model a try... but I am worried about how badly it could turn out lol.

Go with cheap kits first, don't dive right away into some fancier makers like Hasegawa, Tamiya, etc.  Revell covers a lot of stuff and their kits tend to be decent on price, I'm sure there's cheaper manufacturers.  Smaller the scale, the cheaper they go.  Don't worry about aftermarket parts yet (i.e. brass rails, guns for ship models, cockpit detailing sets, etc), just build straight out of the box.  Pick a subject and go! 

It was a lot of fun for me as a kid.  My completed models also doubled as toys, complete with me making sound effects as I played with them.  Later on I had some hanging from my ceiling via thumb tacks and fishing line.  I still remember what I had dangling from my ceiling as a teenager:

A large AH-64 Apache, 1/32 I think, largest scale of any aircraft I've ever done.

1/72 B-17 Memphis Belle with a pair of Bf109's chasing it.

1/32 SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber

1/72 Sepecat Jaguar (anyone remember these?)

1/72 Marine Corps A-4 Skyhawk (a gift from a friend of mine)

1/48 P-61 Black Widow

As a kid with ship models, I had USS Independence CV-62, New Jersey in her modern refit, and North Carolina (a small, Hasegawa waterline series kit), Arizona.  Independence was my favorite.  She was a carrier and had those cool little planes to play with.  New Jersey was a nice, memorable one because my Dad had taken me to board and visit her when she was in port in San Francisco Fleet Week in the early-mid 80s.

I used to see works of others to get inspiration, the drive to start a kit.  But starting out, don't get too fancy, get used to the process of assembly and painting.  Sometimes you have to paint stuff up before completing the kit.  Great example:  You can't have a really well done cockpit if you already put it in the fuselage halves and glued them together :Smile_teethhappy:  After a while you start catching on when you should be pre-emptive with stuff like that.

There are kits, subjects out now that I wish I had access to when I was a kid in the heyday of my model building days.  You name it, somebody's probably made a kit of it.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles
21 hours ago, _Luna said:

. Silly putty rolled into strands also works well for making off or laying down curved patters.

Ooo.  I like that!  Never have tried it.  Modeling clay is greasy, which will cause problems with paint adherence.  Silly Putty doesn't?

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles
23 hours ago, X15 said:

I wanted something "constructive" to do in my free time as video games tend to get me tilted. I decided modeling might be a reasonable dive, and would keep me close to one of my favorite subjects (botes).

So here is my first ever attempt at building a model, the Revell 1/426 USS Arizona: (second spoiler is finished product)

Reveal hidden contents

qFuYJ4n.jpg

I started out a bit shaky, I didn't have any plastic cement and my paintbrush stock was pretty abused. The fact I have only ever painted for school assignments years ago didn't help anything.

mbk3QKf.jpg

Eventually I got the glue and things started falling into place. I did have an issue with the hull halves not wanting to stick together. But from what I read this is a pretty normal issue and that some sanding and rubber bands are the secret. I also realized I had no red paint.

There was also a small hiccup, both literally and figuratively, that involved me dumping the entire vial of black paint into my lap. Good times, I liked those pants.

8M2alxb.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

lb0JS4a.jpg

Not perfect (or even decent) by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it well enough. 

I learned there's good masking tape and bad. That the correct brush can change your enjoyment level significantly. Rubber bands and toothpicks are your friends. And plan your cementing vs painting process carefully.

If you are going to paint small part memes, best leave them on the stick thing, paint and then remove. 

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles

Agreed. I've found Tamiya's Extra Thin to be especially nice.

I use a medical syringe and needle to apply.  It doesn't attack the plastic or clog the needle.

Silly putty rolled into strands also works well for making off or laying down curved patters.

Ooo.  I like that!  Never have tried it.  Modeling clay is greasy, which will cause problems with paint adherence.  Silly Putty doesn't?

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

55 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I haven't had a problem with Silly Putty.

They're not the best pictures, but Silly Putty was used on these 3 and did no harm, even on the IL-2 where there is a paint is 3 layers (Tan, Black, Green, with a 4th layer of white as soon as I get my order of new Putty) thick in some places.

20180131_202546.jpg

20180131_202716.jpg

20180131_202736.jpg

• Cool 1

1,542 posts
26 battles

Some brilliant models guys, was browsing for more to work on myself. Think Roma might be next, to honor her release!

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

@iDuckman

Got me order of silly putty.

It works pretty well, though as you can see in the last picture, I did a poor job with the tape. Will have to go back and do some corrective touch-ups.

20180203_145124.jpg

20180203_151410.jpg

20180203_155153.jpg

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
57 minutes ago, _Luna said:

Got me order of silly putty.

I'll be trying this