You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Tired of lame BB play? One word: B O R O D I N O

15 comments in this topic

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles

Tired of lame BB play? Join the push for new pre-dreadnoughts to jive up tier II and maybe III:

--Close distance main gun and secondary broadsides

--Ramming! Yes many shots at that as you have a custom ram-prow. Put on one of those 400+ ramming signals you have.

--Collectors drooling over your pre-dreadnought battleships, like the Borodino!

And here she is, a floating pitbull of a ship--the ship is sick, evil, add your adjective:

5a70fecc9df40_FFBorodino5.jpg.5bcb4784726a5a19f3e62046618b71cc.jpg

This floating pitbull (attention, chien méchant!) is my absolute favourite for her sheer gnarliness and history. That this low-in-the-water iron and steel beast made it around Cape Horn on her 18,000 mile journey

from the Baltic to the Sea of Japan is nothing short of epic, not to mention tragic given her fate. Note the above-water torpedo tube in the bow--to add insult to injury for a ram.

Its not the kiddie end of the pool, it's  a simpler and more in-your-face type of battle. Vote a yes and send a message to WG, or vote no and stick with what you've got.

Here are other options. Look upon these early stalwarts and tremble:

• Cool 5

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,158 posts
8,766 battles

Yeah, I like the pre-dreadnaughts.

USS Minnesota BB-22

D6iESgI.jpg

Q40lIns.jpg

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
On 1/23/2018 at 7:07 AM, MCCIV said:
Spoiler

Think of it like tanks. In WoT the lowest heavy tank you can get is tier 4, and even then it's only a few nation's have a tier 4 heavy, most start at tier 5 (there might be a tier 3 premium or something). A heavy tank is useless unless unless the driver knows how to use their armor effectively, just like a battleship player is useless unless he has at least basic marksman skills. Destroyers, who can start from tier 2, are all about strike. They can still capture, spot, shoot, or torpedo. In low tiers you really only need to do one of the 4. A new player in a bb is far worse than a new player in a DD.

Just like here, wot I set up so players at low tiers just run around and blast stuff. There is almost no need for strategy or planning. The low tier pre dreadnoughts would be a blast to have and play, but from a game play point of view, low tiers wouldn't work out too well. You would have everybody running around going crazy, and here you are in some huge ship, eating torpedoes like they're candy, and if your new, finding it a struggle to land shots combined with a 30 second reload.

Also, what usually does only one tier 1 per nation, so the only room we have to play with is tier 2.

TL;DR - Pre dreadnoughts would be a blast, just not at tier 1&2.

Battleships just dont have a place in tier 1 and 2 matches imo. Tier 3 is pushing it

Edited by MCCIV

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Tired of lame BB play? Join the push for new pre-dreadnoughts to jive up tier II and maybe III:

--Close distance main gun and secondary broadsides

--Ramming! Yes many shots at that as you have a custom ram-prow. Put on one of those 400+ ramming signals you have.

--Collectors drooling over your pre-dreadnought battleships, like the Borodino!

And here she is, a floating pitbull of a ship--the ship is sick, evil, add your adjective:

5a70fecc9df40_FFBorodino5.jpg.5bcb4784726a5a19f3e62046618b71cc.jpg

This floating pitbull (attention, chien méchant!) is my absolute favourite for her sheer gnarliness and history. That this low-in-the-water iron and steel beast made it around Cape Horn on her 18,000 mile journey

from the Baltic to the Sea of Japan is nothing short of epic, not to mention tragic given her fate. Note the above-water torpedo tube in the bow--to add insult to injury for a ram.

Its not the kiddie end of the pool, it's  a simpler and more in-your-face type of battle. Vote a yes and send a message to WG, or vote no and stick with what you've got.

Here are other options. Look upon these early stalwarts and tremble:

I approve of this post

1,542 posts
26 battles

Would you like to see pre-dreadnoughts in all of the lines or just specific ones? I love the idea of more ramming, especially in the lower tiers

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,158 posts
8,766 battles
4 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

Would you like to see pre-dreadnoughts in all of the lines or just specific ones? I love the idea of more ramming, especially in the lower tiers

We want them all :Smile_izmena: but that would really be a completely new game. More realistically would be a good smattering of them but one thing they all desperately need is a buff to their secondary range, long enough to be useful but not so long that they dominate because of those secondaries. I would lock their secondary range so that captains skills couldn't buff them.

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

my tachibana would love seeing those predread  :D

Edited by centarina

Members
1,509 posts
7,934 battles

Hey

Maybe they could do a special pre-dreadnought subclass for all of the Navies that operated them.  A separate branch of the tech tree, running with the regular tree up to T2/3.

Pete

[DOG]
Members
378 posts
5,569 battles

Ramming?  Well, that's cool.  But I want a boarding combat mechanic with a chance to capture an enemy ship :Smile_izmena:

Come on, it'd be funny.

[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,303 battles

I think the reason people don't want to see battleships in Tier 2 is, no one has torpedoes. Let's face it, the only reason people like battleships is for prancing up to them and firing off half a dozen torps that can't miss and sink it in 1 hit. In tier 5, even the cruisers have torps. And I think in tier 2, most cruisers and destroyers are agile enough to dodge battleships' main guns, and are faster too so they can choose their range. Or just run away altogether. The St. Louis is less agile, but still considerably faster than tier 3 battleships. But imo people probably don't want to deal with battleships sans torpedoes. my 2 copper

Edit: I personally upgraded the Wyoming with the ramming package, and upgraded engine and hull. And not once could I ever ram anything. You'd have to get lucky and catch somebody run aground, and be close enough to them when it happened. Tried to catch a cv, he just steamed away and sent planes. Also tried a battleship that was heading toward me, nope. Can't turn quite fast enough. I admit I'm still learning precision driving at sea. Battleships are too slow and too ponderous to ran anything. Perhaps with a good deal of setup it might be possible. Not only can you not ram a destroyer that's watching where he's going, you can't get close enough for his torps to fail to arm. I'll keep trying I guess.

Edited by 44_percenter
added content

[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,303 battles

I think the reason people don't want to see battleships in Tier 2 is, no one has torpedoes. Let's face it, the only reason people like battleships is for prancing up to them and firing off half a dozen torps that can't miss and sink it in 1 hit. In tier 5, even the cruisers have torps. And I think in tier 2, most cruisers and destroyers are agile enough to dodge battleships' main guns, and are faster too so they can choose their range. Or just run away altogether. The St. Louis is less agile, but still considerably faster than tier 3 battleships. But imo people probably don't want to deal with battleships sans torpedoes. my 2 copper

Edit: I personally upgraded the Wyoming with the ramming package, and upgraded engine and hull. And not once could I ever ram anything. You'd have to get lucky and catch somebody run aground, and be close enough to them when it happened. Tried to catch a cv, he just steamed away and sent planes. Also tried a battleship that was heading toward me, nope. Can't turn quite fast enough. I admit I'm still learning precision driving at sea. Battleships are too slow and too ponderous to ran anything. Perhaps with a good deal of setup it might be possible. Not only can you not ram a destroyer that's watching where he's going, you can't get close enough for his torps to fail to arm. I'll keep trying I guess.

Members
1,494 posts
7,399 battles

Definitely need more pre dreads put in this game.  I'd be fine if they even buffed some of them and made them tier 3.  No reason not to let them have their niche and still be useful without being OP/UP.

These battleships deserve to be represented because they were key building blocks in battleship evolution.