You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Coyote16

the team kill system..

95 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,899 posts
11,628 battles
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

2 words - team kill - really that simple and yes if you team kill = pink.  Simple and straightforward and work it off.  Not that big of a deal you want to make it be.

Yep, when I was grinding the Queen Elizabeth I misjudged how fast a Tirpitz was coming up and I unloaded my entire broadside of HE into him and lit him up from stem to stern. He wouldn't or couldn't put the fires out and the damage quickly started reflecting killing me and giving me pink status. Should he have passed me on my unengaged side yes but he didn't and because I was zoomed in I became pink. My fault and no one else's.

[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
312 posts
8,934 battles

I also will warn about torps inbound to players that are near and ping the map, some will say wilco or say ok, some will just turn into them, my guess they are in Binoc view, just don't understand why players will not heed a warning about torps near them, I will never shot torps at the enemy if I have team mates within 5 km of that said enemy. It is what it is, some players pay attention and some don't.

Thanks,

Sere_Pj

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,840 posts
15,392 battles
2 hours ago, 56th_Karma said:

Perhaps there should be a point in which damage inflicted to the enemy in a round overrides damage done or team killer status?

Actually, it does work this way.  The system remembers all pink damage you do over a certain time period as well as your contribution.  There is a threshold where too much pink in the former will outweigh the good in the latter, and you will go pink.  So there is a scale.

Now, sinking a friendly pretty much throws the scale to the pink side.  But even then, the number of games you have to play to wash it away is a factor.  And even if it says 9 games....that's just an estimate.  Play well, and it washes away faster.

All said, being pink really isn't a big deal for those who play responsibly.  I've been pink a few times.  I never get any grief over it.  And the majority of players I see who are pink tend to play a good game, and never get grief.  If anything, as most players realize the large majority get it on accident, someone might joke with 'em...all in good fun. 

Pink is designed to rid us of those intentional team killers by reflecting damage and taking the fun out of those who play that way.  Based on my observations, it works very well in this regard.

So...you're pink.  It really is no big deal.  Just keep playing the way you play.  Well...maybe (Maybe!) factor in the dynamics of friendly ships in front before you fire a spread again.  I say maybe because sometimes the risk/reward is worth it.  But if you wind up on the bad side again...and go pink.  As long as it's not chronic (in which case you really must re-assess how it's happening and change your ways)...it's no big deal. 

Spoiler

The fact pink is Soshi color in no way compromises my position as state above....

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
4,394 posts

When I run into friendly torps at that distance, yeah, sorry, my fault.  The whole guy who gets hit has no blame is to cover for ignorance and a lack of self awareness of where you are, and your allies are in the game.

I do think with friendly torps the game should give more advanced warning they are approaching.

The attitude of you should be aware, that to me means if any friendly is anywhere in front of you don't fire a torp.  That basically takes a weapon for your team out of the game because you're too dumb to maintain awareness around you.

Edited by Wowzery

[WOLF7]
Members
12,126 posts

disagree.

with that sort of distance and you sail right into them? As a CA main I would blame myself for that.

You fired them, you own them. :Smile_medal:

It's not like someone took your first born, and pink matters not at all, unless you make a habit of it....

Beta Testers
292 posts
11,671 battles

I have a question about a TK that I caught. I was 4 km away from 2 DD's knife fighting. Enemy DD was on a course to intersect friendly DD but NOT to ram him, just pass on by so to speak. I aimed at the spot that would be the zone where the enemy DD would basically cover the friendly shielding him from my fire. I let loose a salvo, I was in a CA, and killed the DD, but had maybe 4 over pens and killed the friendly also. I didn't see any direct fire hit the friendly ( I was close and zoomed in, but I suppose it COULD have happened,, or is it possible that 1 of the over pens passed through and hit the friendly.  

Is this even possible? I have no clue. And yes I owned the TK and apologized, he was gracious as he knew I was trying to save his bacon.

Members
4,625 posts
7,579 battles
1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Why is there team damage to begin with? 

Can't tell you how many times I have seen people in the holiday events (and operations) shooting each other because they can, while the rest of the team actually places the scenario.  Because friendly fire really does happen and damage is done in those cases.  Tried to teach some amount of resposibility for your shots - just a couple off teh top of my head in less than 30 seconds..

[MEIST]
Members
1,094 posts
4,346 battles

disagree.

with that sort of distance and you sail right into them? As a CA main I would blame myself for that.

Nope, all your fualt!

[MEIST]
Members
1,094 posts
4,346 battles
2 hours ago, AspiringCodger said:

I'm one of the rare ones around here who doesn't believe it's always the fault of the person who launches.  In most cases, I think both parties are at least in part to blame.  But I also don't get why anyone even cares.  It has no effect on anything you do or get unless you continue to do team damage.

Wrong!

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
227 posts
9,656 battles

The other day I was pounding a DD with a Minotaur when a DD on my team backed into the first guy to ram him.  I stopped shooting, but Minotaur shells have a really long flight time.

Our DD backs in, and sinks the damaged red.  My last shell arcs in, falling slower than a snowflake.  I have time to reload my wisky and start crying while I watch it come down.    Ping, 285 points on our DD.  His ship falls to pieces.  I go pink.

I'm not complaining, it was my fault.

I do wonder if Soshi's comment up above is correct.  I had not done any significant damage to team mates in quite a while, and I went pink for 6 or so games from doing 285.  Other games I have not gone pink after doing torp hits for thousands.  That makes me think that sinking your friend counts for more than hitting him.

Members
205 posts
12,761 battles

I usually send a "TORPS AWAY" when i launch,  it's about all i can do

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,938 posts
11,177 battles

should have warned him in advance just to be safe

[PLDN]
Members
2,061 posts
5,207 battles

In my opinion, unless the friendly ship spent the entire time sailing in a straight line and you hit them at 10km+, it's 100% your fault.

I see people launch spreads into active (or soon to be) brawl zones with no regard to the closing friendlies. Even if you don't hit the torps you may have wrecked your teammate for position or angle because they had to avoid your folly. You own those torpedoes, take responsibility for them.

Think of it this way: unless you're coordinating over voice, assume any friendly ship will go absolutely out of their way to eat your torpedoes. Don't give them a chance, and you won't screw them over.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Pink happens... I was painted pink for the 3rd time the other day. 

I was in my Graf Spee pressuring a flank on an Epicentre match. I over extended passed an island and found 6 ships targeting me on PT. All ships were at the maximum edge of my Torpedo Ranges, so I dropped them at the cluster of ships hiding behind the main islands within the Epicentre. Proceeded to turn to drop my starboard set on my Retreat Vector.

The hope was the Torpedoes would scatter the cluster of ships opening them up to friendlies. 

Unfortunately there was a friendly DD hiding on the opposite side of the Island the Red Cluster was hiding behind. The DD decided to press the cluster while I was on my Retreat Vector and ate one of my Torpedoes. And painted myself pink. 

Entirely my fault, if I didn't overextend I never would have reason to "dump torps" to attempt to scatter the enemy on my Retreat. But to an extent the DD shouldn't have pushed passed the island either. I'm not sure if he was attempting to come out to save me with smoke OR a Torpedo run of his own.

All I know in the heat of the moment I did what I determined to be the best course of action to deal damage before losing my ship and try to place the team in a position to capitalized on my mistakes. I was so focused, I didn't even see the "f-U a-hole" in chat until I sunk 2mins after the accidental TK. Worst part is once I noticed and try to apologize in chat to the player was met with no response; I'm assuming he hit "next battle" immediately after cussing me out and not responding immediately. 

Anyways TK's happen, it's extremely unfortunate if it's accidental, best is to not be too sore about it if you're on either end of it; causing or receiving. 

The following 7 matches I stayed out of my Torpedo capable ships or made sure that I triple checked the area of friendlies before dropping; instead of my usual double check. Had a few comments about the colour during the matches. But accidents happen and as far as I could tell the players questioning my TK status didn't care. The might have given me extra "wiggle room" but I couldn't notice if they did. Just play it out and hope if you random with the person you accidentally TK'ed in the future they don't have your gamertag memorized for the revenge TK. 

Edit:: a would be nice feature is a map ping saying "torpedoes away form [ship]" so if a player is at least watching the Mini they have extra indicators of friendly torps. 

Edited by Ivlerlin

[WTFB]
Members
221 posts

You can't control your teammates, you can control when you release your torpedos. Sounds like you got greedy and careless, now future teams will know to look out for you, and if you do so again, you'll likely have that damage reflected on you. The TK system works just fine.

Members
239 posts
14,268 battles

The problem with the system isnt that you get puniched for second line torping. The problem is you sometimes get pinked for 9 games or so for doing 4k in overpens to some guys antennas and smoke stacks because you hit him "multiple times" or something. That sort of punichment isnt anywere near ok imo.

[O_O]
Members
5,246 posts
12,038 battles

Warnings in chat are great - but if the team mate is up close and personal with an enemy ship, he may be too busy to notice chat.  I can't always read the chat when I am knife-fighting.

Torpedo warnings are great - but if red torps are also coming in I am already hearing torpedo warnings.  The little indicator on the compass telling what direction they are coming from is sometimes a bit wonky.

Pinging the map is great - but far too general.

Using several of the above warnings is great.  But...

...even better is just to not launch torps if I think a team mate would be in danger.  Not only could I hit him, but I could also take away maneuvering space he may desperately need.  He is fighting closer to the reds than I am.  I am not going to further endanger him by taking torpedo shots I shouldn't take.  If I do, it is either because I am being selfish and think my weapons are more important than my team mate (which I do not), or it is because my team mate is very near death already and I really, really need to kill the red he is fighting with (very rare scenario...usually I can wait).

A game addition that might be helpful is a voice warning that announces "Friendly torpedoes incoming!"  That would stand out amidst the usual close quarters battle sounds.  This feature, however, would only be necessary because team mates insist on launching torps they shouldn't have.

Edited by desmo_2

Members
1,016 posts
19,150 battles
15 hours ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

... or suffer the consequences.

= having a pink name.

Certainly a major catastrophe to 1st world'ers.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

Mistakes happen, people dont always pay attention / notice chat. If you do FF damage / TK someone, own up to it. I have torped people on accident before and I apologized, thats all that is usually required. And yes you turn pick, but its only a silly girl color, does it make you question your sexual orientation?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,899 posts
11,628 battles
15 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Why is there team damage to begin with? 

Because it is a very real thing.  The Japanese damage results at Sunda Strait when the Huston & Perth went down.

1 minelayer sunk,
4 troopships sunk or grounded,[3]
1 cruiser damaged,
10 killed,
37 wounded[4]

Except for the damaged cruiser and some of the wounded the damage they received was from their own torpedoes.

[BZERK]
Members
750 posts
4,224 battles

Here's something someone floated on FB: If someone TKs, they become an independent player, allowing their team to punish them with no penalty.

[USCG]
Members
386 posts
14,999 battles

I was TKed yesterday by a MAHAN shooting his torps at a Z23 that I was engaged in a gun battle with.  

Here's a map of the battle: MAHAN-------ME (Z23)------Enemy Z23.  I was BETWEEN the MAHAN and the enemy Z23 and somehow I was to blame.  Also had a team mate chime in and say it was both of our faults for lack of communication.  Not sure about you, but when I'm in a gun battle with another DD I'm kinda busy and not watching the chat (of which there was no warning anyway).

While we're on the TK subject I noticed another issue.  Was in a battle with a pink BB.  He just put the hammer down and headed straight into the battle like a fool.  One BB vs four didn't go well for him or our team.  I could only think he was just running through games to get rid of his pink status.  Is being pink REALLY that bad?  I've been pink a couple of times and would guess most people have been as well.  It doesn't hurt, my family still loves me (I think) and I sleep OK even if I'm pink.  It does bother me though that it MIGHT have an effect on game play like I possibly witnessed yesterday.  Might be time to do away with the pink color and find another way to punish for causing harm to one's teammates...

[RESP]
Beta Testers
902 posts
7,527 battles

Your munitions, your responsibility.

It happens, own up to it, apologize and work off the pink.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,208 posts

Finishing off the Unikaze in the alt account last night in Co-Op

Just fired my two groups of 4 torpedoes into an enemy bot Chester.  Point blank at 1.5km -- couldn't miss...  Spaced the groups 5 seconds apart in case the first set missed.

First set hit and DETONATED the Chester...    Oh.. nice..  

OK..  You probably notice that when a ship gets sunk, it STOPS DEAD...  NO INERTIA..  That second set of point-blank sure-to-hit torps slides right in front of the bow.

Umikaze..  torp range -- all the way off this map and into the next battle...  FOREVER..

So I watched... and watched...  4 km out.. Friendly Chester is heading straight for them...  Oh no...  they look like they are going to...  oh..  just missed the bow by a couple feet -- and this guy was low health and really trying hard.

Next ship up....  failed division Orlan....   nope - not even close.  They die out.

Had a real white knuckle experience there....  I get to remain Green.