Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
drakoolia

OPERATIONS maps used for Other battle modes

Allow Operations maps in other battle modes  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Allow Operations maps in other battle modes

12 comments in this topic

[NAUTY]
Members
615 posts
11,004 battles

I love the operations maps, they provide interesting, and non congruent Island cover, and allow for various play tactics depending on which portion of it you spawned from. Different tactics can be used, varying gameplay quite a bit. The maps have become quite boring and very SAme same... I would love to see these maps as they are in Random/ranked/clan battles, not just the operations. who else would like to see that.

Edited by drakoolia
Mis-spelling

[HINON]
Members
13,699 posts

It might be possible to balance but a few of the maps but most others are designed just for the operations to work on. Balanced spawns are key to fair matches and designing maps for competitive play isnt an easy nor a quick thing. Just look at how often WG rebalances the maps they already have to promote engaging gameplay and sometimes succeeds and sometimes fails.

[SALVO]
Members
25,426 posts
27,339 battles
1 hour ago, khorender_1 said:

I'd rather see standard battles removed from the game..

Absolutely NOT!  I'd rather see domination removed.  I hate being forced to fight on specific fake predetermined map locations that mean nothing.  All they do is favor brawly DDs.  And frankly, even when I'm in a brawly DD, I hate having the battle mode dictate to me how to fight my ship.

That said, I actually don't really want domination mode removed because I support variety, even if sometimes it's a battle mode I'm not entirely fond of.

So, man up!  And put your big boy pants on when you end up in a Standard battle, snowflake!

[SALVO]
Members
25,426 posts
27,339 battles
15 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

It might be possible to balance but a few of the maps but most others are designed just for the operations to work on. Balanced spawns are key to fair matches and designing maps for competitive play isnt an easy nor a quick thing. Just look at how often WG rebalances the maps they already have to promote engaging gameplay and sometimes succeeds and sometimes fails.

I don't think that every operation map would be a viable randoms map.  However, I do think that some would be.

I don't think that the Ultimate frontier map would work well, except perhaps if the map was an east/west oriented maps (i.e. spawns in the E and W, and possibly standard mode, or maybe domination mode.  Or perhaps an oddball Epicenter map where the teams spawn in the SE and SW, and the epicenter caps are centered on that harbor you're supposed to protect in the operation.

The other tier 7 operation map looked completely unworkable for randoms.

OTOH, I think that the tier 6 operations maps are workable.  The two port maps could be epicenter maps, with the center ring deep in the harbor near the docks.  And the two teams would spawn as far as possible away from each other outside of the harbor.  The goal would essentially be to gain control of the port and its harbor.

And the Raptor Rescue map might ... might be workable.

Even the Dunkirk map might be workable (without the minefields).

Also, for a non-operations map, the last tier 6 Ranked season had an interesting map called Riposte that I think would work out well for Randoms.

Overall, I really wish that the map devs would look at these maps because I think that there's a fair amount of potential in them.

[NAUTY]
Members
615 posts
11,004 battles

So my whole point with map incongruence is, basically when  a map is too similar on various sides, it tends to create the same tactics over and over again, and favor those players who become REALLY good @ certain game mechanics.

Playing a HIGHLY incongruent map would certainly force completely different styles of gameplay depending on which side you spawned.

IF your team spawns in a place with 280 degrees of geographical coverage, then you have the option of playing  a constriction tactic like the almighty 300 did, and if the opposing team is ballsey enough..they will pile on in 2gether and try to overpower them.

Conversely, a CV could also foster "get out of the completely encompassed base" bye flybombing everything inside. I don't think the maps should be rebalanced. Quite the opposite. My whole point is you WANT incongruence on the map, as it will force brand new types of tactics never seen in the game because the geography offers NEW methods of planning/attack/tactics.

I don't want everyone missing the point here.

[FLBQC]
Members
2 posts

I enjoy a lot the operations, frankly I would love to have more of them. Also It would be fun to have them for T5 and T8.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

But all islands in the world occur with symmetry.

Just look at the islands in the Aleutions... Um no.

Well then the Orkney Islands... Hmm.

Well how about Midway ... Hawaii.

You know it ain't fair. None of them real sailors got to fight on a symmetrical map.

Unless you count the ones who fought on the ocean. Wish we could fight on the ocean.

[NAUTY]
Members
615 posts
11,004 battles
On 2/14/2018 at 3:00 PM, Quaffer said:

But all islands in the world occur with symmetry.

Just look at the islands in the Aleutions... Um no.

Well then the Orkney Islands... Hmm.

Well how about Midway ... Hawaii.

You know it ain't fair. None of them real sailors got to fight on a symmetrical map.

Unless you count the ones who fought on the ocean. Wish we could fight on the ocean.

Well Ocean map is still alive and well..and yeah..snooozers...Very boring.

Everyone get your votes in, Id like to propose this to WG, maybe get some traction..Overwhelmingly 80% or higher Really love the operations maps and would love to see them in Random as is.!

[HSSW2]
Alpha Tester
1,099 posts
907 battles
On 1/30/2018 at 4:20 PM, drakoolia said:

So my whole point with map incongruence is, basically when  a map is too similar on various sides, it tends to create the same tactics over and over again, and favor those players who become REALLY good @ certain game mechanics.

Playing a HIGHLY incongruent map would certainly force completely different styles of gameplay depending on which side you spawned.

IF your team spawns in a place with 280 degrees of geographical coverage, then you have the option of playing  a constriction tactic like the almighty 300 did, and if the opposing team is ballsey enough..they will pile on in 2gether and try to overpower them.

Conversely, a CV could also foster "get out of the completely encompassed base" bye flybombing everything inside. I don't think the maps should be rebalanced. Quite the opposite. My whole point is you WANT incongruence on the map, as it will force brand new types of tactics never seen in the game because the geography offers NEW methods of planning/attack/tactics.

I don't want everyone missing the point here.

I agree, it would an exciting flavor to battles. 

[NAUTY]
Members
615 posts
11,004 battles

Well I've been thinking for a long time that we should have more variation in explosions, and have literally pieces of the ship flying around all over the place...with bits of ship remains floating around. That litter the water till the end of the match.

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,696 battles

I am fully in favor of this the maps for the attacking and defending the base could be used for a new game mode similar to capture the flag for instance. flag inside the base one team defends other has to attack.

Sign in to follow this