You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gerbertz

Is even worth it for new players to stick with this game?

121 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
840 posts
9,480 battles

I've played this game for a little more than a year.

I've tried to get friends interested in the game (to take advantage of Wows special offer) and they have all made the same comment something to the effect of~> "WoWs is bitter people complaining"

At this stage of the game's life, is it even worth it for a noob to put up with the old timers' abuse?  (you know those guys who have played since like 2004 or something, and also probably old)

WoWs for their part has tried to sweeten the deal to try to introduce more gamers but the salt here is real.

Does this game have another year?

Edited by Gerbertz
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
1 minute ago, Gerbertz said:

I've played this game for a little more than a year.

I've tried to get friends interested in the game and they have all made the same comment something to the effect of~> "WoWs is bitter people complaining"

At this stage of the game's life, is it even worth it for a noob to put up with the old timers' abuse?  (you know those guys who have played since like 2004 or something, and also probably old)

WoWs for their part has tried to sweeten the deal to try to introduce more gamers but the salt here is real.

Does this game have another year?

Yeah, but the salt seems to come from the same people all the time. Some of the salt is feuds between people. Some of it is in jest.

I believe that there are a lot of great people here, the salty ones are just more vocal.

Members
1,819 posts

Thats a tough question, if you have a tier 6 I recommend trying operations. Chill, laid back, challenging and fun. 

The answer to the rest of the question is, are you a very high skilled game player? If the answer is yes, you might do well, if the answer is no, dont bother with randoms, its a sludgeshow if you arent in the 50%+ bracket. 

Then it gets complicated because WG seems to have split personality disorder on supporting coop.

The game isnt going to die that is for sure, but I dont know what it will evolve into. I dont think the current pvp model is viable in the current marketplace. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 6

Members
1,819 posts
Just now, TheSpring said:

play low tier 4<

That doesnt help, then you are just food for the seal clubbers in their Nikoli, padding their winrates. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TSG4]
Members
795 posts
13,650 battles

Join a good clan and the so-called 'toxicity' magically disappears.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
1 minute ago, Fedge_123 said:

This is true. I would invite you to our casual clan, but we are full at the moment. Try the Lone Wolves clans. I hear that they are pretty laid back.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
10 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

I've tried to get friends interested in the game and they have all made the same comment something to the effect of~> "WoWs is bitter people complaining"

Where is this online utopia that both has PvP and zero bitterness?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,648 battles
2 minutes ago, Kconvey_1 said:

That doesnt help, then you are just food for the seal clubbers in their Nikoli, padding their winrates. 

For what it's worth... anytime I jump into T4 or T5 - I rarely ever see a Nikoli.. and at that.. an actual seal clubber that is good.  Randoms is generally relaxed (compared to Ranked/Clan battles etc) and lower tiers even more so..  any new player should be fine there.  

[POP]
Members
299 posts
4,891 battles

Tell them to stay off the forums and that eliminates a big chunk of negativity. :)

• Cool 5

Members
1,819 posts
1 minute ago, Simers72 said:

For what it's worth... anytime I jump into T4 or T5 - I rarely ever see a Nikoli.. and at that.. an actual seal clubber that is good.  Randoms is generally relaxed (compared to Ranked/Clan battles etc) and lower tiers even more so..  any new player should be fine there.  

Says the purple.. yeah.. um.. no.

• Bad 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,648 battles
5 minutes ago, Kconvey_1 said:

Says the purple.. yeah.. um.. no.

because I am purple.. I can't state that I rarely see a Nikoli?  interesting.   Maybe 1 or 2 in 10 games..  That's not common.  I'd be more concerned with seeing Orion's to be honest.  You can angle against Nikoli.. but not against HE spamming Orion.  

Edited by Simers72
  • Funny 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,073 battles

If you enjoy playing the game, just ignore the chat if some idiot is spouting off.  Most games don’t contain that much salt, especially if you don’t throw your own salt in.

Members
1,063 posts
6,148 battles

Funny how the OP comes here complaining about the complainers. And while he's just 10 years old, those of us who shave are 'old timers'.

• Funny 4

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
4 minutes ago, Simers72 said:

because I am purple.. I can't state that I rarely see a Nikoli?  interesting.   Maybe 1 or 2 in 10 games..  That's not common.  I'd be more concerned with seeing Orion's to be honest.  

I don't think I've seen this ship yet TBH. Most of my games thus far are tier 3 and 4. 

Members
2,407 posts
2,202 battles

Would be interesting if WOWS got its own version of Frontline. That huge 15vs15 map WoT has, with respawing and multiple objectives. 

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
16 minutes ago, Fedge_123 said:

I talk to my clan, not the malcontented kiddos in game chat. I know we have some on here as well, but it's no worse than other games.

Members
1,819 posts
7 minutes ago, Simers72 said:

because I am purple.. I can't state that I rarely see a Nikoli?  interesting.   Maybe 1 or 2 in 10 games..  That's not common.  I'd be more concerned with seeing Orion's to be honest.  You can angle against Nikoli.. but not against HE spamming Orion.  

No im saying that because you are purple, you have no idea what its like for new players in an established game. It sucks mightily.. Even if you dont see a Nikoli, you are going to get your butt seal clubbed into oblivion once you pass 100 or so games. 

To the op, try coop or operations. Then make a decision.

Edited by Kconvey_1

[SIM]
Members
2,438 posts
4,080 battles

Every competitive online game has toxicity. If that’s a dealbreaker for you, try single-player and co-op games instead. 

• Cool 2

Members
25 posts
2,403 battles

I am a long time gamer.  Every game has it whiners.  No matter where you go you will always get whiny people, they won't like this they won't like that.  This is a game where you drive ships from WW1 & WW2 and blow people up.  Come on what is better than that and you need NO MONEY to play the game.  I myself love German ships, I have the T10 Kurfurst and Hidenburg and I am working on German DDs, I so love Hydro...

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

There is salt in literally every multiplayer game with a chat box. This is one of the more tame communities

• Cool 1

[DFNT]
Members
71 posts
2,306 battles
3 minutes ago, Kconvey_1 said:

No im saying that because you are purple, you have no idea what its like for new players in an established game. It sucks mightily.. Even if you dont see a Nikoli, you are going to get your butt seal clubbed into oblivion once you pass 100 or so games. 

As a new player myself, I agree it does suck to be seal-clubbed. But it's part of the game, any PvP game. Someday I could be that seal clubber. 

As far as toxicity is concerned - this is far less toxic than some of the other WG communities. Matter of fact, I've seen very little salt here.  If you want to see toxic, just go over to the WOTB forums, especially after school gets out. 

Members
2,748 posts
6,245 battles
13 minutes ago, Cuesta_Rey said:

Funny how the OP comes here complaining about the complainers. And while he's just 10 years old, those of us who shave are 'old timers'

I was thinking the same thing. Played for almost 2 years and am older than 10. Guess I'm an old timer. Been called worse.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

6 minutes ago, Kconvey_1 said:

I'm purple and started playing a year and a half ago, when the game was pretty well established. Outside CVs, I'm blue.

I don't think whether someone will like or hate this game has to do with when they start, or the community, because ignoring chat is super easy to do. I'd wager it's more about whether the style of play appeals to them, and if they can understand the mechanics. A tutorial campaign of operations would go a long way, in that aspect.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,118 posts
18,633 battles
4 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

There is salt in literally every multiplayer game with a chat box. This is one of the more tame communities

Agree. Salt level is rather low compared to most other games. Could be that the average age is higher then in most games. 

• Cool 1