You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Russian BB predictions

15 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,196 posts
7,604 battles

I'm pretty sure I heard that they were hoping to add RU BBs this year (year of the CV my Night Fury). Any thoughts on what we'll see and where? At the moment I'm guessing Sovetsky Soyuz for the tier VII with the tier X being a 12 or 16 gun monstrosity that fires every 20 seconds. With turtleback armor and a citadel below the waterline. Unless they give them torps which might change some predictions.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,129 posts
10,015 battles

I would like the ex-Royal Sovereign Archangel'sk. 

Revenge Class, probably T6 with stats similar to Queen Elizabeth. 

[NGA-B]
Members
1,196 posts
7,604 battles
1 minute ago, LancerUlysses said:

I would like the ex-Royal Sovereign Archangel'sk. 

Revenge Class, probably T6 with stats similar to Queen Elizabeth. 

Impossible. Is inferior capitalist/imperial/fascist/counterrevolutionary boat. Not fit for good Russian sailors. No fictional space for crew quarters like Khab.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,129 posts
10,015 battles

Among the fictitious and spurious and wishful designs and whimsies, there must be at least a couple that actually existed. It cannot be only the Gangut/Oktyabr'skaya Revolyutsiya.

Perhaps a Borodino-Class Suvorov for the April Fool's Day equivalent to Mikasa.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,410 battles

I'd personally point to Xero-Snake's reasonably done Russian BB line here. Simply because it works pretty well, and assuming no extreme gimmicks or Russian Bias, would be uniquely balanced as the ultimate tank line, in exchange for having either lower caliber weapons for the tier (especially the T10 only having 9x 16" railguns but being completely immune to overmatch) or a lack of superfiring turrets in the lower tiers.

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles

I assume we will see an un-modernized Gangut at t4 and a modernized Nikolai I (Oktober style) at t5.

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
2 hours ago, LancerUlysses said:

Among the fictitious and spurious and wishful designs and whimsies, there must be at least a couple that actually existed. It cannot be only the Gangut/Oktyabr'skaya Revolyutsiya.

There was the Imperatritsa Mariya, the last battleship ever commissioned by the Russians. It succeeded the Gangut, but none of them lived to see WW2 so WG will obviously give the class a fictional refit. Then there's Izmail/Borodino, a battlecruiser but similar turret layout. Again, never lived to see WW2 so that's another fictional refit WG will have to come up with. Finally there's Imperator Nikolai but WG screwed it all up, making it a rare unsellable ship. Perhaps we might still see a tech tree version of her.

That's all I know for the BBs that did exist. I stopped short of reading about Soviet BBs. I just have no interest in Stalin's fantasies.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles
28 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I'd personally point to Xero-Snake's reasonably done Russian BB line here. Simply because it works pretty well, and assuming no extreme gimmicks or Russian Bias, would be uniquely balanced as the ultimate tank line, in exchange for having either lower caliber weapons for the tier (especially the T10 only having 9x 16" railguns but being completely immune to overmatch) or a lack of superfiring turrets in the lower tiers.

People have been griping about how WG should take the France back to the drawing board ever since it was revealed because there's no way it can compete with "only" eight 17" guns with the best penetration in the game.  I can just imagine how people would react to a new tier 10 BB with essentially Iowa's armament.

I'd guess WG has probably been given access to some kind of more ambitious plan, though.  Maybe something like an 18" naval gun blueprint so they can just kind of pull a Kurfuerst by putting a more powerful gun/turret on the hull design to bring it up to the standard conception of tier 10 BB firepower.  Edit:  I see in the thread you linked that there was indeed a proposal to arm the ship with 457 mm guns.  I'd wager that would be what we'd see in game.

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya's unique Damage Control Party is kind of a neat gimmick that seems reasonably balanced so I would expect them to use that for the line.

Edited by Vaidency

[WTFB]
Members
186 posts

Whatever they are, I have no doubt they will be laser guided, snipe brawlers, great AP, and practically no Citadel. That is my prediction.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Impossible. Is inferior capitalist/imperial/fascist/counterrevolutionary boat. Not fit for good Russian sailors.

Translation: You have to at least have gotten out of the 8th grade to run this boat; leaves Russian sailors out.

[115TH]
Beta Testers
256 posts

They will be OP in every way, have the best of everything in the game, and will be 99% napkin drawing ships. Ill skip them entirely... Hate the Russian cancer...  

[PVE]
Members
8,832 posts
7,254 battles
4 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I'm pretty sure I heard that they were hoping to add RU BBs this year (year of the CV my Night Fury). Any thoughts on what we'll see and where? At the moment I'm guessing Sovetsky Soyuz for the tier VII with the tier X being a 12 or 16 gun monstrosity that fires every 20 seconds. With turtleback armor and a citadel below the waterline. Unless they give them torps which might change some predictions.

With French BBs being the first quarter, the US split expected in the second quarter and Italian cruisers hopefully for the fourth quarter, then RU BBs are likely to arrive from July to September this year. As I understand it, they were worked on for 2017, but WG wanted to get the UK BBs out before putting out the RU BBs.

4 hours ago, LancerUlysses said:

3 hours ago, Wolcott said:

There was the Imperatritsa Mariya, the last battleship ever commissioned by the Russians. It succeeded the Gangut, but none of them lived to see WW2 so WG will obviously give the class a fictional refit. Then there's Izmail/Borodino, a battlecruiser but similar turret layout. Again, never lived to see WW2 so that's another fictional refit WG will have to come up with. Finally there's Imperator Nikolai but WG screwed it all up, making it a rare unsellable ship. Perhaps we might still see a tech tree version of her.

That's all I know for the BBs that did exist. I stopped short of reading about Soviet BBs. I just have no interest in Stalin's fantasies.

As I understand it, the ships that were all commissioned were WWI designs. I understand that in the interwar period there were designs that got to the stage of having hulls laid down, but none of them were finished. So while the early line should be solid, actual floaty boats, the mid tiers will probably be battleships that got significantly into the design and construction phases. The high tiers will be paper designs I'm sure. 

While I'm sure the RU BB line will be, highly competitive, I don't think that they will ALL be OP monsters. YMMV

Others have posted thoughts on a RU BB line and as the third quarter approaches, I expect we will see more and more posts about them.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,070 battles

I would rather see a Pan-Asian cruiser line at least there might be less napkin designs there.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,766 posts
5,805 battles

Totally against a Russian ship line that will need to consist of mostly non existent ships. Hell the Moskva is already a battleship.

I hate Russian ships so much they are priority targets :)

[PVE]
Members
8,832 posts
7,254 battles
6 minutes ago, justdags said:

I would rather see a Pan-Asian cruiser line at least there might be less napkin designs there.

I'm not so sure. Most of the PA DD line is from other nations or was a ship heavily based on other nations ships. As I understand it, the monolithic China of today, was a few smaller, separate Chinese countries during WWII.

A quick google search got me 4 cruisers for WWI & WWII that appear to be distinct classes for China. Two were completed in 1911 (Ying Rui) and 1912 (Chao Ho) with 2x1 152mm guns, so they would be T1 at best. One was completed in 1931 (Yi Xian), with 1 152mm gun and 1 140mm gun. It did not have torpedoes and when the Japanese captured it, they rearmed it with a single 120mm cannon and made it a training ship for submariners, so I don't think this will work either.

Ning Hai was commissioned in 1932 and was based on the Yubari with 6 140mm guns (6x1? or 3x2?), 6 80mm AA guns that might also be secondaries (almost certainly 6x1) and 4 533mm torpedo tubes (2x2?).  I guess you could stick it at T4 like the Yubari. The Yubari has 2x2 140 mm guns, 1 120mm AA/secondary gun and 2x2 610mm torpedo tubes.  

So I think a PA cruiser line would be more paper than a RU BB line.