You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
M1_A4_Abrams

Does the goldfish have a name?

17 comments in this topic

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles
20 minutes ago, M1_A4_Abrams said:

Well does he?

...she?

DID YOU JUST ASSUME IT'S GENDER REEE!! 

D88KH28.gif

• Funny 2

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles
21 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

DID YOU JUST ASSUME IT'S GENDER REEE!! 

Actually, a good number of fish are either immature ("genderless") until breeding season or can even change genders as needed by the school. 

A school of clownfish is always built into a hierarchy with a female fish at the top. When she dies, the most dominant male changes sex and takes her place. In the wrasses (the family Labridae), sex change is from female to male, with the largest female of the harem changing into a male and taking over the harem upon the disappearance of the previous dominant male.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Actually, a good number of fish are either essently "genderless" until breeding season or can even change genders as needed by the school. 

You cheeky git~ :cap_haloween:

Members
2,405 posts
2,199 battles

I always figured it was named Fishy. Just like I assume captain mascot man is Cappy. :fish_book:     :cap_hmm:

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles

Speaking of names, however, I thought goldfish were supposed to be named "Trevor."

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles

If any, the fish can't be called Sam since its already taken by the cat, Unsinkable Sam. :cap_happy:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,523 battles

I believe in incidental mentions of the characters, the fish is just called Fish and referred to with a feminine pronoun. That said, who knows, it might have just been assumed in translation from Russian.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,856 battles
17 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

A school of clownfish is always built into a hierarchy with a female fish at the top. When she dies, the most dominant male changes sex and takes her place. In the wrasses (the family Labridae), sex change is from female to male, with the largest female of the harem changing into a male and taking over the harem upon the disappearance of the previous dominant male.

NOW I understand how Hillary got the Democratic nomination!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 3

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,807 battles
39 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Nature finds a way.

17 minutes ago, permanentnoob said:

Can't believe no one said Wanda yet...

You mean Wa-wa-wa-wa-Wanda.

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles

If the fish was named "fish" in Russian then you could call her Reba in American English.

[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
650 posts
7,861 battles

I think he's actually called "Fish".

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Actually, a good number of fish are either immature ("genderless") until breeding season or can even change genders as needed by the school. 

Fish come in all sorts. Clownfish are all born male, and one (and only one) will change to female. In absence of another fish, a clown will always change to a female. Crazy stuff