You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Unholy_Stench

4 Point CPT Skill Colorado

14 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
4,694 battles

Looking for advice - for the 4 point captain skill, currently on the Colorado, AFT or Fire Prevention?  Thanks in advance

For your entertainment, here is a sailor cat...

cat on a boat.jpg

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,250 battles

Of the two, I would pick AFT.  However, if you are going up the USN BB line, you should consider CE.  USN BBs from North Carolina on up really benefit from this.  And personally, I prefer the 3 point Basics of Survivability over Fire Prevention, as it reduces times for both fire and flooding, and its only 3 points.

Members
2,274 posts
7,347 battles
13 minutes ago, Scratched said:

Looking for advice - for the 4 point captain skill, currently on the Colorado, AFT or Fire Prevention?  Thanks in advance

cat on a boat.jpg

Neither, get CE. Concealment is the best thing you can get atm. Also Colorado is a slow ship, concealment helps you to survive and get good positioning.

After CE both AFT and FP are good choices, depends on what you want for your ship. You want a AA build? Go for AFT. You want a tanky build? Go for FP. 

Personally i set my USN BBs for AA.

Edited by Xlap

Members
80 posts
4,694 battles
21 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Of the two, I would pick AFT.  However, if you are going up the USN BB line, you should consider CE.  USN BBs from North Carolina on up really benefit from this.  And personally, I prefer the 3 point Basics of Survivability over Fire Prevention, as it reduces times for both fire and flooding, and its only 3 points.

15 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Neither, get CE. Concealment is the best thing you can get atm. Also Colorado is a slow ship, concealment helps you to survive and get good positioning.

After CE both AFT and FP are good choices, depends on what you want for your ship. You want a AA build? Go for AFT. You want a tanky build? Go for FP. 

Personally i set my USN BBs for AA.

Thank you!

Members
2,748 posts
6,245 battles

Fire Prevention. Colorado's a tank at 21 knots. Cruisers and DDs are going to spew HE all over your slow lumbering azz. Anything that will turn you into an Iron Zombie and make you live longer is to your advantage. I love the Colorado. [edited] is tough as a box of rusty nails and hits like Rocky.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,120 posts
18,636 battles

The current meta prefers that you stay hidden as long as possible. So CE for now. Later it’s up to you. USN BB have a good AA and profit from a AA build with AFT. If you hope you will not see carrier often and afraid of fire you may choose FP at this point.

If you want to respec your captain after unlocking the NC you can use FP for now. 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,529 posts
3,526 battles

As Colorado being my most played ship I will say AFT. At T7 you still see CVs fairly often with most being lower tier than you and most CV players don't expect a 87 AA rating. The salt and hacking accusations are pure gold.

Concealment Expert is another great choice if you are using this captain on further ships because concealment build NC is just plain great. For the Colorado it will allow her to disappear I think at 14ish KM.

Fire Prevention is a useless skill for me because I have rarely been on fire that much in any of my BBs. I do run Damage Control module 1 and 2 and Basics of Survivability so even if I get lit on fire I rarely burn long enough and with the Colorado's great heal it makes fire damage kinda of a joke

My current Colorado specific captain has Preventive Maintaince, Expert Marksman, BFT, AFT, Adrenaline Rush, Basics of Survivability and at 19 points I will get Concealment Expert. That said Superintendant is a fine skill along with a High Alert/ Jack of All Trades combo if you want to come back from death a few times. For mods I run DCS 1 and 2 and the AA mod. I did do a Secondary build for a little bit during the captain respec week and that is pretty hilarious because while the secondaries don't do allot of alpha damage, they do set tons of fires

Now if it was for later down the line then I would go with Priority Target, EM, BFT and CE. The thing is if a CV player sees your NC or Iowa and your not at a 100 rating for AA, they for some reason go out of their way to try to sink you regardless if there is a better target

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,176 posts
8,786 battles

AFT is relatively useless for the Colorado with its short secondary range although it does help the AA which is pretty good. I would go with Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert with FP being the better choice.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles

Fire prevention is an invaluable skill on any battleship.  It'd be folly to pass up.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts

Personally I think Concealment Expert is overrated on US battleships.  If you’re playing right you’ll be firing all the time anyway.  So the only benefit you’re getting is an few extra seconds of invisibility at the start of the game.  That’s not enough benefit for 4 skill points.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,176 posts
8,786 battles
12 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Personally I think Concealment Expert is overrated on US battleships.  If you’re playing right you’ll be firing all the time anyway.  So the only benefit you’re getting is an few extra seconds of invisibility at the start of the game.  That’s not enough benefit for 4 skill points.

Any little bit of time saved not being detected is good and it also means that you can go dark a bit sooner but there are other better options.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I'd go with FP first of the 2 you're planning on picking. 

AFT is great when the time comes to bouncing the Cmdr around other USN Prems especially is some of the ones you own are AA or SB spec'ed. 

But of the 2 I'd go FP first if you're going to grab both. 

The arguments for CE are good ones. Prior to the RN, the USN was the "stealth" BB nation. They're still good spec'ed that way. But the same is said for the previous SB builds with fhe IJN. 

If you're planning on a 3x4 skill loadout definitely take CE at some point.

[PVE]
Members
8,862 posts
7,262 battles
4 hours ago, Scratched said:

cat on a boat.jpg

My main BB captain that is going up the line is as follows. (he is on CO now)

PM, EM, HA, BoS, CE,   (AFT, BFT to come) Sort of a hybrid AA survivability build. I consider CE to be a  survivability skill for going dark if needed and I will be putting the captain into NC, Iowa and Montana.

My permanent Colorado captain will be as follows. PM, EM, BoS, FP,  (HA, AFT, BFT to come) Colorado is pretty slow, so I think FP will be worth more than CE.

1 hour ago, _V12 said:

Fire prevention is an invaluable skill on any battleship.  It'd be folly to pass up.

Oh yeah. It will be on most of my other BBs, it is just that the US has such good AA, that I'm going for that too.

1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Any little bit of time saved not being detected is good and it also means that you can go dark a bit sooner but there are other better options.

And the T8 US BBs are faster, so they can ghost easier than the standards.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles

You really want 14pts at the very least by the time you hit Tier VIII North Carolina.  CE is a must.  AFT is just as important to have that wall of AA to dissuade CVs from going after you, and if they still do, make them pay dearly.  A high tier USN BB with no buffed AA is as good as a Tirpitz in the eyes of a CV.