You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheSteelGeneraI

Beware of doubloon stealing camouflage

63 comments in this topic

Members
25 posts
4,610 battles

On several occasions over the last few months doubloons have disappeared from my account, I did not intentionally spend them.  The problem is Type 6 camouflage (and possibly others that are similar).  I received some type 6 camouflage as a reward, or in a container.  This type cannot be purchased with credits, only gold. I made the mistake to equip it on a ship with Auto-resupply enabled and when the cammo ran out, the game bought more using my doubloons.  It never asks for a confirmation and there is no real indication that I am spending gold. 

I opened a ticket and they said tough luck. 

Has this happened to anyone else?  It seems to me that the UI needs updating to be fair to the customer.  The game should give notice when the cammo supply on hand is depleted and it is going to begin spending my gold. 

-Not a satisfied customer.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,794 battles

This is sadly a PEBKAC problem. It clearly states in the UI that auto-resupply will use in-game currency if enabled. 

• Cool 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

More of an indication that you're spending doubloons on camos would be nice. I wonder how much WG makes from this.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
Just now, TheSteelGeneraI said:

On several occasions over the last few months doubloons have disappeared from my account, I did not intentionally spend them.  The problem is Type 6 camouflage (and possibly others that are similar).  I received some type 6 camouflage as a reward, or in a container.  This type cannot be purchased with credits, only gold. I made the mistake to equip it on a ship with Auto-resupply enabled and when the cammo ran out, the game bought more using my doubloons.  It never asks for a confirmation and there is no real indication that I am spending gold. 

Has this happened to anyone else?  It seems to me that the UI needs updating to be fair to the customer.  The game should give notice when the cammo supply on hand is depleted and it is going to begin spending my gold. 

So it happened to you once and you didn't turn it off?

Godzilla_facepalm.thumb.jpg.b3dc815e6a1b

I'm sorry but it's not Wargaming fault that you didn't notice, it's your own.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 4

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
1 minute ago, TheSteelGeneraI said:

I didnt't turn it off 'cause I ddidnt know where my doubloons were going.

General rule of thumb; If something is being taken suddenly stop doing anything and look at everything before you battle again.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SIMP]
Members
991 posts

Yep.

It's like a minefield WG intentionally installed. Because EVERYTHING defaults to doubloons for currency. 

Make one simple mistake and BOOM! doubloons are gone. And its so easy to do. Thanks WG for the obvious dirtbag money grab default!  :fish_palm:

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

It's a common complaint, although usually it's made by people new to the game.  I really don't see any good reason why they can't give you a heads up that it's doubloons only when setting it up to re-supply or give you a heads up any time doubloons are about to be deducted automatically.  It's nothing more than a money grab.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,737 posts
2,013 battles

Doesn't it show up in the service cost or in the resupply notifications that pop up after exiting the finished match?

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,458 battles
6 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

t's a common complaint, although usually it's made by people new to the game.  I really don't see any good reason why they can't give you a heads up that it's doubloons only when setting it up to re-supply or give you a heads up any time doubloons are about to be deducted automatically.  It's nothing more than a money grab.

it clearly stated that if you re supply it going to cost doubloon, read before click the button?

2 minutes ago, Hurlbut said:

Doesn't it show up in the service cost or in the resupply notifications that pop up after exiting the finished match?

it showed up, yes you right.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I don't auto replenish anything on any tech tree ship. I've seen too many tankers lose gold because of currency settings on consumables. I've been fortunate never to have lapsed in my vigilance. Hope you never lose doubloons again. Cheers

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles

Had the same thing recently with consumables. Had a supply of Type II DF so had them on auto-supply. Suddenly noticed my gold going down and had to go in an set the cost to silver to stop the drain. Seems like it should ask you when the payment type changes, except maybe WG LIKES it this way.

Members
25 posts
4,610 battles

It's a rare case.  Most cammos either can't be bought, or they can be bought for credits.  Type 6 is gold only, there may be others.  I would never buy Type 6, but I received some as a reward or in a container. 

It probably did pop-up a brief notification after a battle, but who reads that stuff?  In the notification list it says only "Auto-resupply: Exterior". 

The cost in doubloons is small (50) and I did not notice until quite a few hundred were gone. 

It's not a super big deal, I do admit some responsibility, but it's a trap that's easy to fall into.  So beware!  And WG, fix your game.

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,180 battles

It's definitely happened to me a couple times.  Between holiday stuff, the campaigns, etc etc, I have a page full of fancy camos.  9 out of 10 of them you just click the button to re-equip them, and you're fine until your ship looks plain again.  The other 1 out of 10 can and will be replenished with dubloons.  Easy to miss.

I've proposed a "dubloon lock" toggle to prevent you from spending dubloons on anything unless you toggle it back off.

Members
2,457 posts
12,175 battles
31 minutes ago, TheSteelGeneraI said:

don't feel to bad in that you aren't the only one. I feel like there is gremlin in game that turns my premium consumables off on certain ships...and I have misclicked or overlooked doubloons paying for resupply of camos here and there. Yes, it is my fault, but something to keep an eye on for sure. I do a weekly ship check to grab flags and camos off of ships that have auto resupply and don't want them there. It's like a an easter egg hunt...especially when I find dragon flags.

Members
660 posts
4,258 battles

Happened to me ages ago. I only noticed days after it started happening when I realized I was suddenly missing about 200 doubloons. Felt like an idiot. 

Realistically though WG will never change anything about how this works. They like sneaking doubloons away from you (same reason premium consumables default to doubloons instead of credits I'm pretty sure) and it is your responsibility to notice these things. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,807 battles
20 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I don't auto replenish anything on any tech tree ship. I've seen too many tankers lose gold because of currency settings on consumables. I've been fortunate never to have lapsed in my vigilance. Hope you never lose doubloons again. Cheers

You can use auto resupply, just be sure to uncheck the box saying "Resupply with in game currency if unavailable" when the item can't be purchased with silver.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
3 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

You can use auto resupply, just be sure to uncheck the box saying "Resupply with in game currency if unavailable" when the item can't be purchased with silver.

I try to keep my silver at over 10 mil...so theoretically I should be just fine, correct?

Beta Testers
1,013 posts
13,583 battles

In the future ...moving forward make sure this tick box is unselected.........

Doh!.JPG

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
35 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

it clearly stated that if you re supply it going to cost doubloon, read before click the button?

Correct me if I'm wrong, as it has been a while since I've looked at that, but doesn't it automatically check "resupply with in game currency" when you select to automatically resupply?  If so, then it's going to show you that it's doubloons after you've already clicked the button.  Most people new to Wargaming wouldn't notice that.  Really though, even if the doubloon icon appeared beside it when you clicked it, that's not going to catch a lot of people's attention anyway.  I've never had an issue with it, but a LOT of people have.  There's technically nothing wrong with what WG is doing, but they're well aware of the fact a lot of players don't notice and have chosen not to do anything about it.

Edited by AspiringCodger

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,807 battles
17 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I try to keep my silver at over 10 mil...so theoretically I should be just fine, correct?

Yeah, so long as it isn't an item like some camos, which can only be purchased with doubloons.

Members
25 posts
4,610 battles
49 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

it showed up, yes you right.

When you mount the camo, the box is checked by default.  No further warning or confirmation.  Most camos don't work this way (only doubloons), thus my guard was down.

They tricked me into buying something I didn't want.  They won't give refunds.  I'll be more careful in the future. 

Edited by TheSteelGeneraI

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, Harv72b said:

Yeah, so long as it isn't an item like some camos, which can only be purchased with doubloons.

I'll remember that...I'm not slapping on many camos yet as I'm still running mainly protected tier 4 at this point. I'll throw a camo on the tier 4 USSR dd, that's about it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,942 battles

There is a reason perma-camo is so expensive. Thanks for the warning. Until recently I have not had any doubloons at all, therefore none to "steal"/mislay, but I won a handful recently and now I shall be wary.