You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1HandTiedBehindMyBack

How is being afk not more toxic than chat

32 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,457 battles
1 minute ago, Jiggiwatt said:

Thank you someone who sees my point, AFK players are annoying yes but rarely are they malicious. A penalty system for ranked/ I can agree with, for Randoms? No 1 AFK player has too little impact for their to be any real reason for a penalty to be put in (unless they are in a CV, in that case yes they deserve a penalty).

[JASH]
Members
3,727 posts
10,630 battles
1 hour ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

Chat has a filter, you can block a person in game, you have a blacklist, heck players can give out chat bans but still WG thinks chat is more toxic than afkers.  Give us the players the ability to flag a person afk and if they do nothing in a game they get a 1 hour ban.  Had the same person 3 ranked game out of 5 AFK twice on my team once on the enemy, how is that not vastly more toxic?  Also if a person doesn't give a command foe 2 minutes assign a bot to the ship and give them 0 reward and full cost of repair.  If life happens none of this will effect anyone often, but it will remove the chain afkers.

How do you know for certain they're all in fact Away From Keyboard? 

Members
1,027 posts
5,679 battles
52 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

I'm not sure it's necessary in randoms but something like this is sorely needed in Ranked with escalating bans if you keep doing it. If you accumulate enough AFK games in a season you should be out for the season. If you can't commit or guarantee your presence in Ranked don't queue it up. Other people are relying on you. I only played 17 games this season and saw far too many AFKs. 

That is the best approach to the problem, even though ranked is still Random..

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
18,476 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

this is a good idea...

use capitals at beginning of sentences plz ok

[WFR]
Members
433 posts
2 hours ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

Chat has a filter, you can block a person in game, you have a blacklist, heck players can give out chat bans but still WG thinks chat is more toxic than afkers.  Give us the players the ability to flag a person afk and if they do nothing in a game they get a 1 hour ban.  Had the same person 3 ranked game out of 5 AFK twice on my team once on the enemy, how is that not vastly more toxic?  Also if a person doesn't give a command foe 2 minutes assign a bot to the ship and give them 0 reward and full cost of repair.  If life happens none of this will effect anyone often, but it will remove the chain afkers.

yeah uhh... the reason afk is less toxic? it's because you don't need to mute afk'ers in the first place.

i don't think people who press battle then leave the computer to go have the crap of their life on the toilet is very responsible either. should have a 'Hey if you afk one more time today you're getting softbanned from battles for half an hour. We will give you time to go poop in your toilet, whether you like it or not.' System in place.

PSA: Please remember your team! be sure you go poop BEFORE you start up warships! Thx to all!

1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

While we're at it, let's kick BB players off the team if they haven't managed to hit anything in the first 5 mins and replace them with a bot.

[aha! yes! that was sarcasm!]

best reaction.gif

Edited by SinisterSe7en
PSA was required for clarity, obv.

[PVE]
Members
3,234 posts
21,599 battles

Too many replies to this thread to read them all but the easy solution is if you are AFK for the whole match (in any mode...except standard co-op) you lose...even if team wins you get a loss on your record (& any penalties a loss implies such as lost stars in Random...no rewards in scenarios...etc).

I have made it all the way to a cap & been detonated w/out getting a shot off...mechanic is varied in that sometimes it gives a pittance of XP & other times it gives zero XP...not sure what the variables are to decide that but if game considers you to have earned zero XP you receive the loss...even if your team wins...so the people that try to move at just the last few seconds to try & defeat the AFK loss w/out ever getting into battle get the penalty also.

If it's an emergency it should only happen once so no big loss...if it's a connection/computer "hiccup" issue you should be able to get back in before battle is over...if not & it's more fatal than that then it again should also only happen once (in other words if you jump back in when some fatal error is reoccurring w/out getting it handled 1st then you will deserve the extra losses...if you need to keep jumping in to test stuff before submitting a ticket...do it in co-op/training room)

2 hours ago, cometguy said:

I've also witnessed more than one person reveal positions to the enemy team in chat

Instant loss of Kharma point from me when it occurs...whichever team they are on. Solo warrior achievement is a thing because it IS a thing...being set out by your own teammate (for any reason actually but most often...)just because they want to reuse that ship in the next battle ASAP is the ultimate sin IMO.

1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

let's kick BB players off the team if they haven't managed to hit anything in the first 5 mins

Gotta admit (now this is more in lower tiers w/VERY slow BBs w/low range guns...shouldn't be relevant in T8s) there's been plenty of battles where I go either east or west & either no enemies go that way or team annihilates the one or 2 right before my shells get to target...& then...the SLOW crawl to the other side of the map begins. Eventually I will see battle but sometimes in a BB that 1st 5 minutes is spent just getting into range...again...not a T8 issue...but if rank went back down to T6...it could be.

Edit: Sorry...forgot to read the fine print...so missed the sarcasm...Got Me...Well Done!!

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
Didn't read the fine print