You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1HandTiedBehindMyBack

How is being afk not more toxic than chat

32 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
355 posts
7,406 battles

Chat has a filter, you can block a person in game, you have a blacklist, heck players can give out chat bans but still WG thinks chat is more toxic than afkers.  Give us the players the ability to flag a person afk and if they do nothing in a game they get a 1 hour ban.  Had the same person 3 ranked game out of 5 AFK twice on my team once on the enemy, how is that not vastly more toxic?  Also if a person doesn't give a command foe 2 minutes assign a bot to the ship and give them 0 reward and full cost of repair.  If life happens none of this will effect anyone often, but it will remove the chain afkers.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
1 minute ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

dee.jpg

Right.....so you will screw over people who may actually have a legitimate reason to leave the keyboard, and screw them over?

• Bad 2

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
2 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

give them full cost of repair.  

You always pay 'full cost'.

IMG_6146.JPG.85d6a6e494e5548d1be068e24421516c.JPG

Beta Testers
355 posts
7,406 battles
2 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

dee.jpg

Right.....so you will screw over people who may actually have a legitimate reason to leave the keyboard, and screw them over?

So it is screwing over a person who joins a game then does't actively play?  Only thing that changes is a bot takes over after 2 minutes and if enough people report you take an 1 hour break.  What about the 14 other people you screw over by being afk, they count for nothing?

• Bad 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
1 minute ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

So it is screwing over a person who joins a game then does't actively play?  Only thing that changes is a bot takes over after 2 minutes and if enough people report you take an 1 hour break.  What about the 14 other people you screw over by being afk, they count for nothing?

Right so the people who have connection issues, phone calls, family emergencies, or unexpected tasks should get punished for things beyond their control?

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,121 posts
18,636 battles
Just now, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Right so the people who have connection issues, phone calls, family emergencies, or unexpected tasks should get punished for things beyond their control?

Nope. There are people in ranked that hope the team will carry them. I had it in other seasons that the same player joined battle after battle and did nothing. Don’t tell me they get every 15 minutes a family emergency of phonecall. 

• Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
15 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

Also if a person doesn't give a command foe 2 minutes assign a bot to the ship 

this is a good idea...

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

Nope. There are people in ranked that hope the team will carry them. I had it in other seasons that the same player joined battle after battle and did nothing. Don’t tell me they get every 15 minutes a family emergency of phonecall. 

That is a different story, in that case then his idea has some merit, but he wants this to happen to everyone who is AFK once or twice. That is a simply unrealistic.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

To me, the difference is that people in chat are going out of their way to ruin game play experience.

I've also witnessed more than one person reveal positions to the enemy team in chat, which is certainly worse than being afk.

• Cool 1

[GT99]
Members
147 posts
5,082 battles

A couple minutes is fine but 20 minutes is silly. I can understand it happening on occasion but it happens far too much. Even if it was a crash the worst laptop in my house can be back in the match in less than 5 minutes and that's with a reboot. Middle of match abandonment is cause life and understood or should be.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,121 posts
18,636 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

That is a different story, in that case then his idea has some merit, but he wants this to happen to everyone who is AFK once or twice. That is a simply unrealistic.

That’s right. The last client had some flaws and many people had to restart the game. 

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
16 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

a legitimate reason to leave the keyboard

Then they should turn off the game.

I agree with the OP. The AFK thing is a plague.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
Just now, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

Then they should turn off the game.

Stuff happens suddenly without warning, they should not be penalized if something like that happens. Not all AFK people are doing it on purpose and it should not be assumed.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
666 posts
4,261 battles

I'm not sure it's necessary in randoms but something like this is sorely needed in Ranked with escalating bans if you keep doing it. If you accumulate enough AFK games in a season you should be out for the season. If you can't commit or guarantee your presence in Ranked don't queue it up. Other people are relying on you. I only played 17 games this season and saw far too many AFKs. 

[FSA]
Beta Testers
155 posts
5,025 battles

AFK'ers doing it to be carried generally do it frequently.   WG could implement flag those accounts and apply the penalties accordingly.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
2 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

I'm not sure it's necessary in randoms but something like this is sorely needed in Ranked with escalating bans if you keep doing it.

You see i agree having something like this in ranked is fine as an AFK player has a much larger impact there but in Randoms? No, it us unneeded and unnecessary.

[R-F]
Members
676 posts
6,188 battles

I have a hard time believing many people are deliberately AFKing.

Ranked - you put your team at a massive disadvantage, and you ensure that if you lose you will never save your star.  A person deliberately and repeatedly AFKing would quickly sink to the bottom of the ranks.

Random - you're going to obtain zero xp and minimal credits, so whatever goals you're AFKing your way towards are going to take forever.

I'm not saying people aren't bad and won't abuse a system.  I'm saying it just doesn't make much sense.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
8 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

AFK'ers doing it to be carried generally do it frequently.   WG could implement flag those accounts and apply the penalties accordingly.

Carried to what end, I wonder. What does one hope to do with a 0 XP win?

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

As a player with barely over 300 random battles, I will say that I see way more AFK in ships than I ever see on console tanks (30k + battles).  I'm understanding of life needs, but it really does feel more habitual here from what I've seen thus far. 

Thankfully, it's only words on the screen and spamming "stow the crows" or "I need assistance", but I find chat to be horrible here. Tanks, on the other hand, you actually get verbal comms which are absolute trash.  I spend a lot of time muting people  

Whats funny is that this forum is much less toxic than console tanks. 

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
17 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Stuff happens suddenly without warning, they should not be penalized if something like that happens. Not all AFK people are doing it on purpose and it should not be assumed.

Yes, they should. By Wargaming's own policy on punishments, they should.

Being "mean" in chat is relative - I've seen people chat banned before simply because they criticized the play of a division on the team. So if that was "hurtful" enough to the team to warrant a ban, then AFKing for a long duration should definitely merit a micro vacation from playtime.

It literally takes nothing to turn off the client, or not click the battle button. But these self-absorbed people don't care; they're more concerned with whatever distracted them in any given moment than following through on a commitment they just made to 11 other people. So, yeah, I don't want those folks around me - I want them to suffer consequences. 

• Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles
44 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

...and give them 0 reward and full cost of repair.

There is never an instance where you don't get full cost of repairs.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

AFK,TK, Rage Chat,Troll Chat,Poor Play, Lazy Good for Nothing waste of space Play, there are so many ways to express what One Player Hates and should be Punished. 

How about Play your game with the cards your dealt? 

Ranked Battles are for those who strive for one goal.

AFK and all the other things directly affect this goal.

After two AFK reports from two seperate games to support, the player will be Banned from Ranked Play

Don't stop the "perp" from playing the entire game restrict them from the season of ranked.

Make this reviewable by staff to reverse the decision of ranked Ban

Members
634 posts
4,149 battles

Being AFK isn't something people are doing to be malicious, what would be the point? You get 0 XP, no cash and a full repair bill. The last game client was causing me to go AFK all the time due to disconnects requiring a quit and restart of the client. Sometimes I hit 'battle' and then something urgent comes up. Or my phone rings. Or the cat vomits on my lap. Or my girlfriend walks naked past the office door.

It happens to both sides in equal measure. You can already report people for being AFK, after a few of those you can end up with a temporary ban. If you really need more draconian punishments for being AFK, maybe make it 3 battles in a row without any keyboard input. Be careful though, because the more innocent people you catch with these kinds of things, the more people are going to give up on the game.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

While we're at it, let's kick BB players off the team if they haven't managed to hit anything in the first 5 mins and replace them with a bot.

[aha! yes! that was sarcasm!]