You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

All things being equal...what is the general target priority?

35 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

So...when I move with a group of ships in one of my cruisers and our flotilla is spotted, my little focus number in the detected ring almost always has a 3, 4, or 5 in it. Doesn't matter if I'm the furthest back in the group, somewhere in the middle, turning and kiting, or whathaveyou. I seem to keep the 3-5 as a maneuver like the three blind mice in an effort not to be shat on. 

Got me to thinking...if there are multiple ships that can be targeted, am I just unlucky to always be focused (I'm not talking about when I'm being stupid out front of everyone), or is their a priority to targeting that I'm not aware of yet?

In tanks, the majority of the player base goes for the weakest armored tank...which can be exploited into a win because they should be taking out more dangerous targets. 

Members
2,457 posts
12,205 battles

What ship are you playing? DD or cruiser? That number would and should be high if your a dd as you are a huge threat and should be eliminated. And if you are a crusier you are a big juicy piece of citadel meat that every BB is dying to chunk into. 

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,433 battles

Depends what ship I'm playing, but:

DDs are always top priority.  Absolutely.  If one is spotted and it's within my gunnery range, I drop what I'm doing and try to kill it.

Next would be any cruisers showing any broadside.

Battleships are usually the lowest priority because they are really only effective if they have some direct support, and they usually take a lot of time to kill.  Once their friends are gone, BBs are meat on the table.

CVs, I get if I can don't go out of my way to get them, unless I have a clear lane to rush it when playing a DD.  If they lose a lot of their planes then they have little effect on the match anyway.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

What ship are you playing? DD or cruiser? That number would and should be high if your a dd as you are a huge threat and should be eliminated. And if you are a crusier you are a big juicy piece of citadel meat that every BB is dying to chunk into. 

I expect it as a DD...I'm talking cruisers when there are other cruisers and BBs near by. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

Battleships like to shoot cruisers to make them go boom.  If you're playing a cruiser and see a 3, 4, or 5 on the PT indicator, in general it might be an idea to start wiggling intensively and/or kite away (even to break contact) if that is possible.  You may be too aggressive.

Target priority should be any spotted DD in reasonable range first, unless you are facing an immediate threat that needs to be deleted.  A lot of people don't shoot DDs as much as they should because they can be hard to hit and you don't rack up the big damage numbers.  But if you want high xp, or if you want to win, shoot DDs.

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles

Any ship that can spot you is a priority. This includes DDs, CVs, and radar-equipped ships. Since ancient times it's been known that if you can see your enemy but he can't see you then you have the advantage.

Edited by Snargfargle

[DYING]
Members
21 posts
7,389 battles

target lolibotes first, make sure to taunt them in all chat when you detonate them

[WOLF2]
Members
262 posts
4,291 battles

yeah, it's tough being a cruiser. Your best option is to position yourself where you cant even be targeted by that many ships. You have to use islands to your advantage. Be very cautious about sailing out in the open, especially when those 3, 4, or 5 ships are battleships. They like to see the big damage on the light armored cruisers.  Yes you want to support your fleet but you really can't run with your BBs until late game when there aren't as many ships shooting at you.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, Lillehuntrix said:

Battleships like to shoot cruisers to make them go boom.  If you're playing a cruiser and see a 3, 4, or 5 on the PT indicator, in general it might be an idea to start wiggling intensively and/or kite away (even to break contact) if that is possible.  You may be too aggressive.

Target priority should be any spotted DD in reasonable range first, unless you are facing an immediate threat that needs to be deleted.  A lot of people don't shoot DDs as much as they should because they can be hard to hit and you don't rack up the big damage numbers.  But if you want high xp, or if you want to win, shoot DDs.

Yes, I prioritize DDs. I will often turn my cruiser around to hunt them if they've successfully made a surprise move through a middle lane or something onto our side of the map. I'm doing the dodging and kiting, it's just hard to avoid 5 different sets of guns. I'm learning though.

[POP]
Members
840 posts
9,480 battles

If you spot a forum member, say @Snargfargle, sink him first.
otherwise:

2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Any ship that can spot you is a priority. This includes DDs, CVs, and radar-equipped ships. Since ancient times it's been known that if you can see your enemy but he can't see you then you have the advantage.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles

All things being equal, removing guns from the red team is a good priority. So shoot at things you can kill.

• Cool 3

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles

The idea is always to remove gun barrels as quickly as possible.  The specifics vary from scenario to scenario, especially because you also choose targets based on what ship you are in.  As an example, I will use my Cruiser matrix decision tree.

1.  Low HP ships of any class, if they can be killed with 1 or max 2 volleys from you - priority 1.

2.  DD's at close range ( sub 10k )

3.  Ships easy to citadel - generally those sailing broadside to you at 10k range or less - emphasis on EASY - not going to force trying to get BB citadel hits in a cruiser

4.  Slow Battleships that can be set on fire and kept burning

5.  DD's at longer than 12k range

6.  Cruisers and BB's that are kiting away near max range

There are always exceptions, but my matrix is designed to be useful to the team and do the most damage/kills possible during the match.

• Cool 5

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, Gerbertz said:

If you spot a forum member, say @Snargfargle, sink him first.
otherwise:

Took me forever in tanks to recognize other forumers GTs...I suspect about a year from now I may start to recognize some of you. BTW, how do you chat to enemy team?  I only see "to team" as an option. 

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

The idea is always to remove gun barrels as quickly as possible.  The specifics vary from scenario to scenario, especially because you also choose targets based on what ship you are in.  As an example, I will use my Cruiser matrix decision tree.

1.  Low HP ships of any class, if they can be killed with 1 or max 2 volleys from you - priority 1.

2.  DD's at close range ( sub 10k )

3.  Ships easy to citadel - generally those sailing broadside to you at 10k range or less - emphasis on EASY - not going to force trying to get BB citadel hits in a cruiser

4.  Slow Battleships that can be set on fire and kept burning

5.  DD's at longer than 12k range

6.  Cruisers and BB's that are kiting away near max range

There are always exceptions, but my matrix is designed to be useful to the team and do the most damage/kills possible during the match.

I really like this list...thank you. +1

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
262 posts
4,291 battles
4 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

BTW, how do you chat to enemy team?  I only see "to team" as an option. 

<ENTER> to open chat. <TAB> to cycle through chat options. Look for "to ALL" option

Edited by WolfmanJack99

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
5 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Took me forever in tanks to recognize other forumers GTs...I suspect about a year from now I may start to recognize some of you. BTW, how do you chat to enemy team?  I only see "to team" as an option. 

Hit enter to open chat, then hit Tab to switch channels. Just remember to switch back when communicating with your team.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, warpath_33 said:

Hit enter to open chat, then hit Tab to switch channels. Just remember to switch back when communicating with your team.

...unless you want to create a little espionage :cap_cool:

[R-F]
Members
675 posts
6,180 battles

I see most people are answering "how do you determine what to shoot at" but what you're really asking is "a lot of people are shooting at me, is this okay?"

And the answer to that, since you're in a cruiser:  No, it's not great.  The one exception is if you're "kiting" - running away, landing hits with your guns while using the long range and the maneuverability of your ship to dodge most incoming fire.  The rest of the time, if you're being targeted by 3-5 ships you are making yourself an overly attractive target.  Keep a greater distance, make use of islands, avoid going broadside if at all possible, and that number should go down.  Be especially cautious if you've lost a lot of health because you'll definitely be a priority target then.  Don't be afraid to completely drop contact by going behind an island and/or ceasing fire.  People aren't always great at switching targets so just forcing them to look for a new target for a bit may be enough to lighten the amount of incoming fire when you do expose yourself again.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,479 battles
  1. Almost always destroyers when you can see them and have a good chance of hitting them, very few of them have the ability to heal and even if you don't kill them take the chances you can get.
  2. Any ship that is close to being destroyed, especially if it's about to become unspotted.
  3. Anybody who is currently caught on radar, take advantage of your team's consumables.  Hydro also important, but is a lower priority simply because it lasts much longer.
  4. Ships that are in the process of capping, even if you don't think you can stop them permanently.  Keeping it reset can be crucial.
  5. Ships that pose a serious threat to your teammates, even if you don't kill them, concentrated fire may save a ship on your side and even if the player in question doesn't know what they're doing they still represent points on the board.  This goes hand in hand with ships that your teammates have tagged and asked you to shoot, use some judgement, some folks are clueless or just like to spam F3 but in general assume that they need the help and that you might be the difference between saving them or not even if it doesn't pad your own stats.
  6. Ships that have done something stupid like going aground in an exposed position, take advantage of mistakes when you see them, they might not make another.
  7. Certain ships like high tier RN battleships should be a priority when you know that they've consumed their repair party and damage control party.
  8. The lowest health ship that you have a good chance of hitting for damage, just firing hail marys at a ship on the other side of the map in your Yamato is probably not the best use of your guns 90% of the time.  And this does not not necessarily mean the lowest percentage health ship: kill a full health cruiser before a 70% battleship if you think you have an equal chance of damaging both of them.

Everything after 1 and 2 is somewhat situational and depends on having good map awareness and a good idea of enemy and friendly ship capabilities, but that's my general priority list in a generic situation.  Other players might value certain plays over others, but this should be a reasonably detailed list without going completely off the deep end.

• Cool 1

[BORK]
Members
256 posts
5,271 battles

priority....

DD>CA>BB

BB is the raid boss...everything else is a trash mob.

kill the trash first because they have lower hp than raid boss but can still whittle you down if you dont kill them.

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,884 battles
30 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I expect it as a DD...I'm talking cruisers when there are other cruisers and BBs near by. 

They also tend to go for lower tiers first.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles
44 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Got me to thinking...if there are multiple ships that can be targeted, am I just unlucky to always be focused (I'm not talking about when I'm being stupid out front of everyone), or is their a priority to targeting that I'm not aware of yet?

If there are multiple ships that can be targeted, and everyone is going after you; then the reason behind it are possibly:

0.) You are in a DD and you are spotted

1.) You have the least hit points, you always want to remove a gun from the opposing team

2.) You are the most out of position and/or your orientation is such that you're the most vulnerable

3.) You are the squishiest thing in your general vicinity

4.) They have shots on you but not your neighbors because of terrain obstruction. 

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,270 battles
  1. Any dd that is under 5km
  2. Any ship that can be one shot that isn't flooding or on fire already (secondaries may be used here)
  3. Any ship that is closing in to use torps or ram a teammate
  4. Any DD that is 5-10km 
  5. CV that screwed up and allowed itself to be spotted especially if you have HE loaded
  6. Any Radar Cruiser/DD
  7. Any Dd that is at 10-12km and closing
  8. Any lightly armored cruiser 
  9. Any broadside that you can cit or pen for heavy damage
  10. Missouri if it can radar your teammates
  11. Any DD at 10-12km that is retreating
  12. Heavy Cruiser
  13. CV at range
  14. Any BB
  15. DD at 12+km

That's for Cruisers/Battleships or CV's.

If you're in a DD, then the list is different since you're prioritizing dd's then bb's and staying away from cruisers when using guns. If torping: smoked ships, BB, cruisers, CV's and finally DDs.. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,324 posts
11,451 battles

Priority is a spotted destroyer followed by cruiser then battleship.

Generally speaking, in your case, a spotted cruiser will be the focus to get her rapid firing guns out of the game fast.