Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lexington_MuseumO7

What is all the rigging on the ships? What are they rigged for?

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,665
[HINON]
Members
10,945 posts

You might get some very specific info from the forum ships experts if you had some screenies of the rigging you were curious about. I would imagine there were different purposes like tying up to dock, hanging flags, etc. etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,948
[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,207 posts
8,357 battles

standing rigging would be to there to make sure masts, antenna and other wobbly bits, stay in place during foul weather. There are basically 2 kinds of rigging, standing, and running. Standing rigging keeps things upright, running rigging is there to move things about (such as sails). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
219
[VO_0V]
Alpha Tester
427 posts
654 battles

So sailors could hang out their laundry to dry, duh.

And hang nets off them when they're not drying so they can play volleyball (haven't you seen Top Gun, Volleyball is ALL they do).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,540
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,011 posts
16,218 battles
23 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I assume all the wires and rigging on ships historically served a purpose. Is it all just radio antennas? Or were there other purposes for it all?

It's for the imaginary radios WoW uses to justify RFP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,876
[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,793 posts
4,565 battles

As Nutty mentioned, to keep the more loose objects more secure on the ship, to hang tarps for shade, to string out flags for ceremonious occasion, to hold signal flags and ensigns, and there's a bit of naval tradition in there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,062
[HINON]
Supertester
20,971 posts
14,604 battles

A combination of securing masts in an upright position, hanging signals and redundant radio aerials. Navies love redundancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

rigging on ships

The tin-foil hatters and conspiracy theorists were right!  The game is rigged!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,062
[HINON]
Supertester
20,971 posts
14,604 battles
8 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

The game is rigged!

Well, the ships are ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327
[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles
1 hour ago, nuttybiscuit said:

standing rigging would be to there to make sure masts, antenna and other wobbly bits, stay in place during foul weather. There are basically 2 kinds of rigging, standing, and running. Standing rigging keeps things upright, running rigging is there to move things about (such as sails). 

This is the correct answer.  Most masts on ships were historically held in place by the rigging rather than simply by being attached to the deck or superstructure, with some notable exceptions like the US use of lattice masts on battleships.  They're big long levers and they required a lot of support to stay upright even in the lightest of breeze, let alone under the forces normally found at sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
383
[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,228 posts
3,933 battles

If you are talking like WW 1 era ships with all those wires and such those are primarily there for radio communications.  Back in those days radios were big and not particularly efficient:

marconi_radio_operator_1922.jpg

It took really BIG antennas, hundreds of feet long to absorb enough signal to allow the radio to receive it.  So, they hung the wires across the length of the ship as high as possible to get the best signal.  Sending a signal took the same sort of huge antenna.  If you had more than one radio (and most military ships did) then you needed multiple antennas for them as they couldn't share like they often do today.

Next, masts of that era were also usually braced with rigging as has been previously noted.  So, there's some of that too.

Edited by Murotsu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,932
[ARGSY]
Members
11,848 posts
7,553 battles
On 29/01/2018 at 12:29 PM, Umikami said:

It's for the imaginary radios WoW uses to justify RFP.

Google HF/DF and you will see how WoW justifies RPF. It was very, very real, but it was also primarily an anti-submarine tool. (In-game it should more properly be a tier-based module applied to ships and not to the captain; the idea of a Chester or Weymouth having it is just ludicrous.)

 

On 29/01/2018 at 3:35 PM, Murotsu said:

If you are talking like WW 1 era ships with all those wires and such those are primarily there for radio communications.  Back in those days radios were big and not particularly efficient:

marconi_radio_operator_1922.jpg

It took really BIG antennas, hundreds of feet long to absorb enough signal to allow the radio to receive it.  So, they hung the wires across the length of the ship as high as possible to get the best signal.  Sending a signal took the same sort of huge antenna.  If you had more than one radio (and most military ships did) then you needed multiple antennas for them as they couldn't share like they often do today.

Next, masts of that era were also usually braced with rigging as has been previously noted.  So, there's some of that too.

All this is true.

(Note picture of young woman at controls of wireless set; typical example of involvement of intelligent young women in high tech in that age, but on a light-hearted note could also be considered stock photo of crewmember on board ARP ship of the WW1 era. :Smile_teethhappy:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×