Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
stardestroyer001

[Survey] 2017 "Year of the CV" survey, part 1

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
78 posts
7,088 battles

Good morning! As you might know, last year was supposed to be the "year of the CV". Some of the changes were:

  • Revamped control interface; alternative mouse controls
  • Commander skills rework
  • Removal of manual attack from T4, T5 CVs
  • USN CV rework, addition of AP DBs
  • Two released premium CVs: Kaga, Enterprise
  • Addition of strafe-out

I would greatly appreciate your help in gauging community feedback. Please click here to fill out Part 1 of the survey. There are a lot of questions, so I've decided to split the survey into two halves. This week's survey covers general CV balance/feedback, and specific CVs. The survey will be active for one week, after which I'll post the second half.

Thanks to Danorou from Reddit for early feedback!

If you have any questions or feedback regarding the survey, feel free to comment below or send me a PM.

Thanks again for your time and interest, and see you next week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,305
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,436 posts
6,631 battles

technically; 3 premium cvs were released last year.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
78 posts
7,088 battles
31 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

technically; 3 premium cvs were released last year.

Graf Zeppelin is in a weird place where she was officially released and is still in testing. I decided not to include her in the survey because we still don't know her final setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
78 posts
7,088 battles

Also, I forgot to mention that this is part 1; part 2, which will be live next week, covers player balance proposals and the surface ship (non-CV) point of view. If you have any suggestions for balance, please feel free to comment and I'll add as many as I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,557
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,540 posts
13,992 battles

There is no mention on the notable exclusion of CVs in Clan Wars by WG, that in itself is a big "F--k you" to CVs despite the "Year of the CV."  The removal of Manual Attacks for Tier IV-V CVs and the decrepit state of Tier VI-IX USN CVs despite the revamp is a funny way of WG saying 2017 was to be the "Year of the CV."  Some of those Tech Tree USN CV Revamp ships have gotten worse since the changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,799
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,414 battles

IMHO besides Big E coming in, WG failed miserably to fix carriers. Till they bite the bullet and completely rebuild the mechanics, nothing they do will fix this mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
740
[NG-NL]
Members
4,948 posts
8,094 battles

They need to overhaul CVs probably from ground up.

 

After having devastatingly good matches in Taiho and seeing the AA-spec irritants in SL, CVs swing too much from being "good" to "bad." I really loathe being shut down and it feels a bit bad having the advantage against many T7-8 ships in Taiho.

 

Don't even run her much because the AA, too, tends to be either too much or too little. It'd be nice if WG nerfed AA on some ships and set US as the AA-king, maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
78 posts
7,088 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There is no mention on the notable exclusion of CVs in Clan Wars by WG, that in itself is a big "F--k you" to CVs despite the "Year of the CV."  The removal of Manual Attacks for Tier IV-V CVs and the decrepit state of Tier VI-IX USN CVs despite the revamp is a funny way of WG saying 2017 was to be the "Year of the CV."  Some of those Tech Tree USN CV Revamp ships have gotten worse since the changes.

Good point, I'll include that in the second part coming soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
507
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
2 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

IMHO besides Big E coming in, WG failed miserably to fix carriers. Till they bite the bullet and completely rebuild the mechanics, nothing they do will fix this mess.

 

Thats what they're in the process of doing, that's why we didn't get the big CV rework last year, despite the term "year of the CV" they basically postponed it for a year because they needed a bigger overhaul and that takes time to code. Last news we had it would be entering internal pre-supertst alpha sometime in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,648 posts
9,957 battles

If I hadn't done my homework and it was a year late, I might claim that I tried to do it but it didn't work out, and no you can't see the workings.

But I am over cynical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
50 posts
4,161 battles

Recently, USN CVs were reworked. In general, how has this affected balance when playing as USN CVs? *

Well the real answer for this question is something like...it's removed the annoying AS opponents and the no fighter or no TPB decision and improved the stock (my usual choice) but did nothing for the IJN vs USN balance IMO at least in case of the Ranger and Lexington I've playing. It's the number of fighters that matter vs IJN. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
414
[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,764 posts
5,805 battles

The long fix for CV's is very complicated, the short fix isnt.  There are too many 'flavours' in the CV game to make it easy to balance or even adjust the balance.

The short fix is to break CV's/planes/armament into 3 levels. This would put T4-5 into pre/early war, T6-7-8 in the middle/late and 9-10 into late/post war. 

AA could be broken down into the same 3 levels. The key is to make the differences in the AA and the planes fairly minimal over the tiers.

CV's need to be dumbed down so the masses can compete with the unicums or even the fairly decent CV players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles

WG in 2017, officially stated CVs are OP, and therefore removed from certain battle modes.

 

It is the year of the CV, no other ship class in game has been identified as OP officially by WG.

 

Also lawl AP dive bombers.

Edited by NeutralState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,557
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,540 posts
13,992 battles
1 hour ago, NeutralState said:

Also lawl AP dive bombers.

AP DBs are overly specializing the CV for Anti-BB work, and killing BBs was what they already were good at.  Even then, the AP DBs aren't as good against IJN BBs, and USN BBs laugh at them.  Don't get me wrong, it will always look hilarious punishing the Germans for their WWI designs with more modern warfare, but it makes the CV less dangerous to some other important targets:  Anything else that isn't a BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,849 battles
1 hour ago, NeutralState said:

WG in 2017, officially stated CVs are OP, and therefore removed from certain battle modes.

"Officially stated CVs are OP".  

Please link me to the WG post that specifically stated this rather than implying that they wanted a different style of gameplay.

Maybe the filthy casual @Anumati can speak more on your level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,305
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,436 posts
6,631 battles
12 minutes ago, _V12 said:

"Officially stated CVs are OP".  

Please link me to the WG post that specifically stated this rather than implying that they wanted a different style of gameplay.

Maybe the filthy casual @Anumati can speak more on your level.

that scrub? Move aside, lemme speak, clearly in need of an expert of my calibre:Smile_glasses:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
On 1/29/2018 at 1:31 PM, Reymu said:

They need to overhaul CVs probably from ground up.

 

After having devastatingly good matches in Taiho and seeing the AA-spec irritants in SL, CVs swing too much from being "good" to "bad." I really loathe being shut down and it feels a bit bad having the advantage against many T7-8 ships in Taiho.

 

Don't even run her much because the AA, too, tends to be either too much or too little. It'd be nice if WG nerfed AA on some ships and set US as the AA-king, maybe.

Oh yea. Literally, scrape majority (if not everything) and rework the entire CV interface and balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×