You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Anyone mesh well with the German cruiser line?

110 comments in this topic

Members
3,469 posts
3,778 battles

I thought I did until T6, when finally facing people that know the name of the game. Its not the line's fault though, like other cruiser lines they shine in the right conditions. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,176 battles
5 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

I thought I did until T6, when finally facing people that know the name of the game. Its not the line's fault though, like other cruiser lines they shine in the right conditions. 

Problem is tier 5 and 6 are literally floating glass cannons that when you sneeze on them you break the citadel. I found Yorck so much better because Yorck can actually take a few hits.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,039 posts
4,848 battles

The line is probably one of the easiest and most consistent in the game. From Konigsburg on up you will learn how to keep your wits and SA at all times. Konig and Nurn are basically floating citadels...the spammer guns go away at tier 7 and you begin to learn just how lethal 8 inch german AP is. Hipper introduces you to armor and solid damage potential...build for concealment for this line, adrenaline rush is paramount. 

Don't be a scrub and go with HE...AP IS LIFE. 

Once you get to the Hindenburg, it's basically this all day, every day.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,902 posts
19,321 battles

Karlsruhe, a well as almost every other low tier cruiser, is garbage.  Don't gauge the rest of a Cruiser Line by those garbage low tier ships.  I'm not saying every ship past that tier will be great, but they do not represent what is the general capability of the line.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,176 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

The line is probably one of the easiest and most consistent in the game. From Konigsburg on up you will learn how to keep your wits and SA at all times. Konig and Nurn are basically floating citadels...the spammer guns go away at tier 7 and you begin to learn just how lethal 8 inch german AP is. Hipper introduces you to armor and solid damage potential...build for concealment for this line, adrenaline rush is paramount. 

Naa HE on Hindenburg is a useful tool. Just don't mindlessly spam it. But against something bow on like Yamato, 51mm of pen is quite useful for HE, even with lower alpha in HE than other lines. Also helpful in swatting RU DDs, particularly KHAB. They go angled and try "haha now you can't hurt me" then slap them in the face and send them running away crying is always fun.

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
5,039 posts
4,848 battles
5 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Naa HE on Hindenburg is a useful tool. Just don't mindlessly spam it. But against something bow on like Yamato, 51mm of pen is quite useful for HE, even with lower alpha in HE than other lines. Also helpful in swatting RU DDs, particularly KHAB. They go angled and try "haha now you can't hurt me" then slap them in the face and send them running away crying is always fun.

I should have been more specific, I see ALOT of Hindy's spamming HE...even when they should be using AP. Playing the line helps you realize what works best in situations, which is why I say that skipping the Hipper is a bad idea. You learn how those guns work, you learn how to use them to their max advantage. Tier 8 is the gateway to glory in this line, you hit the Roon with the learning experience from the Hipper and you can make the "Germanic Lobster" work like a boss. I loved my Roon, I do miss it....but Hindy is floating Valhalla. 

[NGAGE]
Members
3,502 posts
8,534 battles
4 hours ago, Cobraclutch said:

I enjoyed 

Konigsberg

Nurnberg

York

I wasn't a fan of : Hipper 

I absolutely love Roon

And I feel Hindy is going to be great. 

This is nearly exactly how I felt about the line, though I'm at Hindenburg and 2x absolutely love it!

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles
5 hours ago, BullpupWOT said:

I picked up the Karlsruhe over the weekend. I like to grind at least one or two upgrades in PvE before taking a ship into PvP. 

I'm wondering if the German cruiser line continues along this meta...boy, when I first tried to make a hard rudder turn it sure felt like a BB. 

I'm thinking this ship/line might have a required skill set that I don't have as it doesn't seem to have enough armor/HP to tank damage but also lacks the maneuverability I seem to like in my playstyle. 

Is the rest of the line more of the same?  Should I just grind this one out in PvE? Should I just forget about this line if it doesn't fit the style of play I'm developing or should I embrace learning different styles the hard way?

With Konigsberg you get one of the gems of the line but be prepared as tiers 6-8 are all meh boats. Then you get to Room and finally HINDENBURG. There is a joke that's been around awhile that it's actually Battleship Hindenburg not CA. Hinden is a beast I have 20+ 200K damage games in the Hinden by far the most 200K games for me in any ship played. I would suggest staying with Konigsberg for awhile until you have a minimum 12 point captain because if you move him up you are going to need a high point captain to bring out the best in the other ships. Set your sights on grinding with your captains in mind and not necessarily getting to the next ship as fast as you can. It will make the higher tier cruisers much more enjoyable.

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,176 battles

I should have been more specific, I see ALOT of Hindy's spamming HE...even when they should be using AP. Playing the line helps you realize what works best in situations, which is why I say that skipping the Hipper is a bad idea. You learn how those guns work, you learn how to use them to their max advantage. Tier 8 is the gateway to glory in this line, you hit the Roon with the learning experience from the Hipper and you can make the "Germanic Lobster" work like a boss. I loved my Roon, I do miss it....but Hindy is floating Valhalla. 

Hindy is my favorite tier 10. Bar none. Only have 3 but, I think Hindy is gonna be my fav tier 10.

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,567 posts
6,856 battles
2 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

The thing that many people seem to forget about the Hindenburg is that it has the 2nd highest theoretical HE DPM and fire starting rate of any Tier 10 cruiser, only second to the Des Moines in both categories.  If you factor in the Hindenburg's superior penetration and shell arcs, you could even make the argument it has the highest practical HE DPM of any tier 10 cruiser.  

The Hindenburg has god tier AP that should always be your number one ammo choice if given the right opportunity to use it, but I always get triggered by those Hindenburg players who repeatedly bounce AP off the angled bow of a Moskva because "German HE is garbage".  

[WUDPS]
5,039 posts
4,848 battles
2 minutes ago, yashma said:

The thing that many people seem to forget about the Hindenburg is that it has the 2nd highest theoretical HE DPM and fire starting rate of any Tier 10 cruiser, only second to the Des Moines in both categories.  If you factor in the Hindenburg's superior penetration and shell arcs, you could even make the argument it has the highest practical HE DPM of any tier 10 cruiser.  

The Hindenburg has god tier AP that should always be your number one ammo choice if given the right opportunity to use it, but I always get triggered by those Hindenburg players who repeatedly bounce AP off the angled bow of a Moskva because "German HE is garbage".  

When you smack a BB for 8K consistently per AP salvo, and you reload in 8 seconds...you just feel the basking sunlight of German superiority and hear chipper Rhinemaiden's singing about glory. 

Hidenburg is pure glory....I day say it's the best ship in the game. 

I do like my Zao though...it's like taking a Samurai sword into battle. 

[NGAGE]
Members
3,502 posts
8,534 battles
Just now, IronMike11B4O said:

With Konigsberg you get one of the gems of the line but be prepared as tiers 6-8 are all meh boats. Then you get to Room and finally HINDENBURG. There is a joke that's been around awhile that it's actually Battleship Hindenburg not CA. Hinden is a beast I have 20+ 200K damage games in the Hinden by far the most 200K games for me in any ship played. I would suggest staying with Konigsberg for awhile until you have a minimum 12 point captain because if you move him up you are going to need a high point captain to bring out the best in the other ships. Set your sights on grinding with your captains in mind and not necessarily getting to the next ship as fast as you can. It will make the higher tier cruisers much more enjoyable.

Nurnburg and Yorck are not "meh" boats. 

If you master the play style at the Nurnburg you will dominate in the later tiers.

[WUDPS]
5,039 posts
4,848 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

Nurnburg and Yorck are not "meh" boats. 

If you master the play style at the Nurnburg you will dominate in the later tiers.

I agree to a point, Konig and Nurn teach you how to stay alive...you-have-no-armor-at-all 

Yorck teaches you solid gunnery.

[AP]
Members
1,231 posts
13,768 battles

When you smack a BB for 8K consistently per AP salvo, and you reload in 8 seconds...you just feel the basking sunlight of German superiority and hear chipper Rhinemaiden's singing about glory. 

hind AP is great.....until enemy angles 5 degree

thats why i usually fire just 1 AP salvo with enemy being 90degree broadside, then switch to HE afterwards

the AP penetration power on slightly angled target is just awful

[FACT]
[FACT]
Members
571 posts
8,446 battles
5 hours ago, BullpupWOT said:

I picked up the Karlsruhe over the weekend. I like to grind at least one or two upgrades in PvE before taking a ship into PvP. 

I'm wondering if the German cruiser line continues along this meta...boy, when I first tried to make a hard rudder turn it sure felt like a BB. 

I'm thinking this ship/line might have a required skill set that I don't have as it doesn't seem to have enough armor/HP to tank damage but also lacks the maneuverability I seem to like in my playstyle. 

Is the rest of the line more of the same?  Should I just grind this one out in PvE? Should I just forget about this line if it doesn't fit the style of play I'm developing or should I embrace learning different styles the hard way?

I am Ch/L/A whatever  person. The best two ships I have are the Prinz E followed by Yorck. I have other 'good' ships (to me) but KMS is the best. Bias, yes, but they are good, even with all the BBbabies nerfing.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles
4 minutes ago, yashma said:

Not to mention the Des Moines bow us less protected than the Baltimore, so she doesn't stand up to the same amount of fire the Hindenburg can.

Honestly the Radar is the biggest reason the Des Moines is viable in ranked. Outside of that she doesn't bring a ton to the table because her poor protection is such an issue.

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,176 battles

Highest I ever did was 12k on a Grober. However never discount USN AP. Tore an Iowa apart 1 fine day in a Baltimore from full health in a short range brawl. I couldn't run, couldn't get to cover so I barrled in short range and just tore him to pieces.

Though Hindy is love, Hindy is life. And the 5k doubloon camo is so worth it.

[Y0L0]
Members
9,797 posts
13,306 battles
23 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

don't listen to him.   German HE gets 1/4pen , which is like having free IFHE or better while AP  is only good at broadside as it tend to bounce a lot when angled, limiting you to using it on   super structure.         you have to be selective.  On top of this, Yorck has  horrible  arc at range with AP while its HE has flatter profile making it easier to hit target.          

Use HE   for angled target and when you see broadside, swap to AP.  learning  to use both will make you more effective.

[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
530 posts
2,092 battles

Konigsberg is a hell of a ship. I love it. Same with nur, but she's a bit more punishing because of the higher tiers. 
Hipper is LOVE. It's the first ship in the line where you start to learn how to german cruiser. Great AP firepower into broadside BB, great angling tanking, good range, but her HE won't really work very well since she has little guns with high reload speed, but the AP fun makes up for it! same with Roon, even tough I hate Roon's gun layout.

[WUDPS]
5,039 posts
4,848 battles
11 minutes ago, centarina said:

don't listen to him.   German HE gets 1/4pen , which is like having free IFHE or better while AP  is only good at broadside as it tend to bounce a lot when angled, limiting you to using it on   super structure.         you have to be selective.  On top of this, Yorck has  horrible  arc at range with AP while its HE has flatter profile making it easier to hit target.          

Use HE   for angled target and when you see broadside, swap to AP.  learning  to use both will make you more effective.

Read my subsequent posts, I addressed the HE for German cruisers,

[PVE]
Members
2,188 posts
5,197 battles
5 hours ago, Cobraclutch said:

I enjoyed 

Konigsberg

Nurnberg

York

I wasn't a fan of : Hipper 

I absolutely love Roon

And I feel Hindy is going to be great. 

@BullpupWOT

The play style you are looking for really takes off at Roon. You get a taste of it at York and Hipper but Roon is when you really feel good about the line. 

My feelings too. I WANT to like the Hipper. Heck, I DO like the Prinz Eugen. It's strange, but they are like two completely different ships. 

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,567 posts
6,856 battles
26 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

When you smack a BB for 8K consistently per AP salvo

22 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Highest I ever did was 12k on a Grobe

You can get a lot higher than that if you catch a BB showing perfect broadside at close range.  I've landed 18k salvos on BBs showing flat broadsides at closest range, with out the use of citadels, and you can theoretically break 20k, but that gets difficult with dispersion and damage saturation kicking in.  

22 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Not to mention the Des Moines bow us less protected than the Baltimore, so she doesn't stand up to the same amount of fire the Hindenburg can.

Honestly the Radar is the biggest reason the Des Moines is viable in ranked. Outside of that she doesn't bring a ton to the table because her poor protection is such an issue.

It's still fun in randoms, but the combination of its play style and 27mm upper belt means it gets punished hard by BBs.  Most other tier 10 cruisers can reliably bounce shells off their belt, but the DM isn't so lucky.  I've been secretly hopping the DM's upper belt would get buffed to 30mm, but that doesn't look likely.

*If there is a silver lining, it's that recently there have been a lot more 15 inch gun BBs added to the Tier 8+ bracket, Roma and soon™ to be the Gascogne, Richelieu and Alsace.  The DM is actually practically immune to to 15inch AP when angled.

Edited by yashma

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,176 battles
3 minutes ago, yashma said:

You can get a lot higher than that if you catch a BB showing perfect broadside at close range.  I've landed 18k salvos on BBs showing flat broadsides at closest range, with out the use of citadels, and you can theoretically break 20k, but that gets difficult with dispersion and damage saturation kicking in.  

It's still fun in randoms, but the combination of its play style and 27mm upper belt means it gets punished hard by BBs.  Most other tier 10 cruisers can reliably bounce shells off their belt, but the DM isn't so lucky.  I've been secretly hopping the DM's upper belt would get buffed to 30mm, but that doesn't look likely.

*If there is a silver lining, it's that recently there have been a lot more 15 inch gun BBs added to the Tier 8+ bracket, Roma and soon™ to be the Gascogne, Richelieu and Alsace.  The DM is actually practically immune to to 15inch AP when angled.

Yeah but still won't get the big citadels USN can at short ranges.

Edited by IronWolfV

[KRAB]
Members
827 posts
7,260 battles

I found Yorck to be extremely powerful due to the protected citadel, 1/4 pen HE allowing penetration of Iowa, MO and FDG decks as well as the AP being more than strong enough at the 8-10km range where your armor scheme helps most vs other cruisers.

I never had trouble with the high arcs (Pensacola has the same problem and I played that first) and they actually help prevent belt shatters if you are using extreme-range HE and may allow plunging fire deck penetrations with AP.

I plan to re-buy it eventually, but right now the captain is waiting for me to buy the Hindenburg. 

#YOLOYorck #AssaultHipper 

Edited by MaxL_1023

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I picked up the German cruiser line over the weekend, and while I only played 26 games, I found it quite agreeable. I played 12 games in the karlsruhe and won 6, but sank 17 ships in that span. The guns worked well enough for me vs destroyers and cruisers, and I'd save battleships for last. For them I'd charge in, using my health and their terrible disbursion to get in torpedo range. One game I had 3 devastating strikes on battleships using the torps.

I really liked the AP on the konigsberg, and got really close to one shotting a lot of cruisers with that.

Only one game in the Nuremberg, but so far so good.