You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Anyone mesh well with the German cruiser line?

110 comments in this topic

[NNC]
Members
2,091 posts
10,769 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

be 17km and angled, i dont care about being hit the slightest bit......

gimme more potential damage:Smile-_tongue:

lol i sail 17-18km broadside at 1/2 speed soon as i see incomming i put the petal to the metal

[AP]
Members
1,235 posts
14,058 battles
7 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

lol i sail 17-18km broadside at 1/2 speed soon as i see incomming i put the petal to the metal

but when someone knows how to aim.....hind hasnt got the acceleration ability to dodge those shells, and at long range turtleback has 0 effect......

youd probably get away with this in HIV, but not in hind

i dare not bet my HP on enemy aiming with their eyes closed

Edited by jason199506

[NNC]
Members
2,091 posts
10,769 battles

but when someone knows how to aim.....hind hasnt got the acceleration ability to dodge those shells, and at long range turtleback has 0 effect......

i dare not bet my HP on enemy aiming with their eyes closed

you would be surprised to see how well it works lol i also have rudder mods and engine mod

[KARP]
Beta Testers
204 posts
7,236 battles

I do love the German cruiser line. My stats in the Admiral Hipper are not great but she was a keeper for me. The Roon takes a bit to get used to but I do like her a lot. I will probably keep her as well. The only ship in the line I didn't care for was the Yuck (aka Yorck) I had a tough time with her.

Capture.PNG

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

For whatever reason, I'm a contrary indicator on German cruisers.  I liked the Nurnberg much more than the Konigsberg - maybe I just finally understood the ship at that stage (since they're so similar), but the slight velocity buff the Nurnberg enjoys made a lot of difference for me as well.  Liked the Yorck, liked the Hipper...can't seem to make the Roon work well.

But we all agree that the Karlsruhe is crap - one of the worst experiences of my early WoWS journey and thus one of my worst ships overall (that would be 32% WR and 12k damage for those of you scoring at home).  The good news is that it is tier 4 crap, whereas it seems that a lot of lines have particularly weak ships at tier 5, where you are also uptiered all the time (Emerald, Jianwei...even Omaha to some extent, I'm looking at you).

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

I've played every Cruiser in the line, sans the Yorck, through the Hipper and wouldn't keep or recommend a single one thus far.

The line is in serious need if a revision with thought to the current meta. Simply put the strength of the line is in theoretical AP damage that doesn't bear fruit when you face so many Battleships and angled Cruisers.

The HE buff is a long way from fixing a line that doesn't become enjoyable until Tier 9.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I'm away from my PC and the game client right now, just curious though:

If I want to pick up a German premium, is the Graf Spee purchaseable with doubloons and is it worth it...or is this HS version of it in the store for $25 a better deal?

Edited by BullpupWOT

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,283 posts
22,506 battles

They first start to shine at T5/6. Both CL are squishy but can deal a good amount of damage even over range. Just don’t yolo. The Yorck got better after a few buffs but she is still difficult. This comes from the very different shell ballistic from HE and AP. While the Hipper has potential she suffers from the current meta. She can be powerful and easy punish any other T8 and below cruiser over any distance if they show a broadside but she feels meh. The Roon is fine but I had problems with the turret layout. And then T10 aka pocket battleship. Flamu made a nice clip about the T10 cruisers and there is nothing bad to say about her. She is a real jack of all traits without being mediocre. Excellent AP, usefull HE, 8 torpedos per side with good angles and, very good AA (got both kill 40 planes in a cruiser in one battle missions from the campaigns done) and turtleback. So what makes the turtleback special? She is hard to citadel by any other cruiser in close combat. And she would have radar she would be utterly OP. My fav T10 cruiser.

[ARGSY]
6,283 posts
22,506 battles
2 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

If I want to pick up a German premium, is the Graf Spee purchaseable with doubloons and is it worth it...or is this HS version of it in the store for $25 a better deal?

The HSF version comes with a 6 point captain and the chance to get 20 special container for the Haifuri collection. You can play the matches for them even in co-op.

• Cool 1

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, Erebthoron said:

The HSF version comes with a 6 point captain and the chance to get 20 special container for the Haifuri collection. You can play the matches for them even in co-op.

Do the containers give you anything except portraits/captains or whatever it is?  I'm not really interested in those people beyond the 6 point captain. 

[ARGSY]
6,283 posts
22,506 battles
4 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Do the containers give you anything except portraits/captains or whatever it is?  I'm not really interested in those people beyond the 6 point captain. 

You get 10 +50% captainXP flags per container and 2 portraits. If you finish the collection you get a premium Yamato camo.

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,272 battles
2 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I personally like the Graf Spee (I have the regular one and use it as a trainer for my German captains and it is available on the tech tree for dubs).

It's a hybrid between a cruiser and BB that doesn't play the same as the other mid-tier German cruisers.  You don't have great armor, so positioning is important (you want to avoid getting focused).  However, you do have a mix of decent mobility, good main battery range, and solid guns that hit hard for tier 6 (you can catch a lot of cruisers and even BB's napping).  It also gets a heal.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,257 posts
12,075 battles

I did OK with Karlsruhe, Loved the Konigsberg, didn't care for the Nurnberg (like it now with the 360 turret buff), Loved the Yorck (I'm an outlier on that one), hated the Hipper and loved the Roon and Hindy. My favorite line!

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

So $25 dollars with a six point captain and extra containers that have crew XP multipliers is a decent deal?  Seems like it. No?

[AP]
Members
1,235 posts
14,058 battles
3 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

So $25 dollars with a six point captain and extra containers that have crew XP multipliers is a decent deal?  Seems like it. No?

would not recommend the spee

plays different from all tech tree german cruiser

doesnt even play like a cruiser

eugen would be a better deal....if you are willing to face high tier meta

[ARGSY]
6,283 posts
22,506 battles
Just now, BullpupWOT said:

The Haifuri camo differs from the 5k gold version of the Yamato. The gold camo comes with +100% XP and +20% credits. The HSF has +50% XP/+50% captainXP. But most important: she gives you the same -50% maintaince reduction. So it’s more like a 4k gold camo but still good.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,917 posts
12,246 battles

The German line is pretty all over the place.

The lowest tiers have tiny derp guns. Nurn/Koni are similar to each other but very different to what comes before. Yorck is then a standout HE spammer, before Hipper which is more AP oriented (or just bad IMO). The final two, Roon and Hindy look pretty similar (I'm on Roon).

Some people can mesh well with all of that, but well, it's a bit all over the shop.

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

No no...I won't be going there in PvP for quite some time. I'm just dipping into tier 5 right now in 4 cruiser lines. I'm thinking of the Spee as a co-op and operations crew trainer for German crews to prepare for eventual play at tier 7+. 

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,571 posts
6,877 battles
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

The line is in serious need if a revision with thought to the current meta. Simply put the strength of the line is in theoretical AP damage that doesn't bear fruit when you face so many Battleships and angled Cruisers.

The HE buff is a long way from fixing a line that doesn't become enjoyable until Tier 9.

The strength of German cruisers tiers 5-7 is their HE.  The Koenigsberg and Nurnberg are some of the best HE spammers in their tier.  I personally didn't like York as it felt like a worse version of the Algerie, but it still has decent HE.  It's really just the Hipper that suffers.  It still has individually worse HE shells, but does not have the number of guns or RoF to make up for it like the previous ships can.  Even so, I honestly really enjoyed the Hipper just because it felt different than the York.

Honestly the only change to the German line I would do is give the Hipper a 10 second base reload.  When it has the fewest amount of guns of any Tier 8 cruiser, and individually weak HE shells, the least they can do is give it competitive RoF.  The Hipper's AP is good, but it's not that good as to be OP with a slightly better reload. 

If we're talking comprehensive overhauls, then WG could also revert the HE penetration buff and instead give German cruisers superior AP normalization angles like those found on the USN SH AP rounds.  

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,272 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

Eugen is a better deal if you want little to no ability to carry.  She does earn well from an XP and silver perspective, though.  You'll just face a lot of challenging tier X games...

1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

I did OK with Karlsruhe, Loved the Konigsberg, didn't care for the Nurnberg (like it now with the 360 turret buff), Loved the Yorck (I'm an outlier on that one), hated the Hipper and loved the Roon and Hindy. My favorite line!

I liked the Yorck, too, for some reason and agree on Roon and Hindy 100%.

1 hour ago, BullpupWOT said:

No no...I won't be going there in PvP for quite some time. I'm just dipping into tier 5 right now in 4 cruiser lines. I'm thinking of the Spee as a co-op and operations crew trainer for German crews to prepare for eventual play at tier 7+. 

One last thing I forgot to mention on the Spee is a surprisingly good 4 tube torp launcher on each side with good forward firing angles and an 8km range that is good for area denial when you are kiting or even closer range attacks. I think some folks forget the Spee has a longer torp range, so you catch folks off guard.

I don't think $25 is a bad deal if you can use the ship to complete some of the HSF perks, too.  The blue Yamato camo looks pretty sweet.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,243 battles

It gets way better. 4-6 was meh. 7 was good long as you understand the guns. 8 is meh...9 is outstanding, 10, pound for pound one of the best ships in the game.

[AP]
Members
1,235 posts
14,058 battles
10 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Eugen is a better deal if you want little to no ability to carry.  She does earn well from an XP and silver perspective, though.  You'll just face a lot of challenging tier X games...

but if you want to grind up german cruiser line, you're gonna be living through the hell called hipper, might as well prepare for it with eugen

1 hour ago, BullpupWOT said:

my point is spee is too different from german cruiser, experiences you learn from spee wont benefit you when grinding german cruiser line

admiral makarov or eugen will both serve you better

(iirc makarov is a nurnberg clone with russian shells, prepares you very well for konigsberg/nurnberg, only problem is it only trains russian crews)

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
4 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

but if you want to grind up german cruiser line, you're gonna be living through the hell called hipper, might as well prepare for it with eugen

my point is spee is too different from german cruiser, experiences you learn from spee wont benefit you when grinding german cruiser line

admiral makarov or eugen will both serve you better

(iirc makarov is a nurnberg clone with russian shells, prepares you very well for konigsberg/nurnberg, only problem is it only trains russian crews)

Is the makarov the tier 7 premium cruiser (USSR)?  If so, I got that in a Santa box and use it in Operations...I like it!!  The reload makes me impatient, but I like the gun handling/and shell behavior. 

Oops, my bad. I have the tier 6 Molotov from a Santa box. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

[AP]
Members
1,235 posts
14,058 battles
Just now, BullpupWOT said:

Is the makarov the tier 7 premium cruiser (USSR)?  If so, I got that in a Santa box and use it in Operations...I like it!!  The reload makes me impatient, but I like the gun handling/and shell behavior. 

it's T6 russian cruiser.....and seeing your coop record, you have the molotov, not the makarov

Members
4,116 posts
15,224 battles

German Cruisers get better maneuverability as you tier up but starting at tier 8 their detectability gets insanely high.