You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Anyone mesh well with the German cruiser line?

110 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I picked up the Karlsruhe over the weekend. I like to grind at least one or two upgrades in PvE before taking a ship into PvP. 

I'm wondering if the German cruiser line continues along this meta...boy, when I first tried to make a hard rudder turn it sure felt like a BB. 

I'm thinking this ship/line might have a required skill set that I don't have as it doesn't seem to have enough armor/HP to tank damage but also lacks the maneuverability I seem to like in my playstyle. 

Is the rest of the line more of the same?  Should I just grind this one out in PvE? Should I just forget about this line if it doesn't fit the style of play I'm developing or should I embrace learning different styles the hard way?

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Karlsruhe was one of my least successful ships in the game, so far.  Hated it.  It's the only ship I used Free XP to finish.

However, after her you get Konigsberg, which is a great ship.  Fragile, but fast and with nasty AP.  Plus she has cool, offset aft turrets.  I enjoy her enough to keep her.  She is very good when I have mission requirements for citadel hits.

Tiers 6, 7, and 8 were good.  Roon at T9 is excellent, as is Hindenburg at T10 (so I have heard...not quite there, yet).

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

Karlsruhe was one of my least successful ships in the game, so far.  Hated it.  It's the only ship I used Free XP to finish.

However, after her you get Konigsberg, which is a great ship.  Fragile, but fast and with nasty AP.  Plus she has cool, offset aft turrets.  I enjoy her enough to keep her.  She is very good when I have mission requirements for citadel hits.

Tiers 6, 7, and 8 were good.  Roon at T9 is excellent, as is Hindenburg at T10 (so I have heard...not quite there, yet).

Oh good...they get some mobility/maneuverability then.....I'll stick with it then if that's the case. 

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
4 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Oh good...they get some mobility/maneuverability then.....I'll stick with it then if that's the case. 

Yes, Konigsberg is twice the ship Karlsruhe is. 9x 150mm guns with 16.5km range and a 32kt speed with dual triple torp launchers on both sides 6km range. Good shell arcs too. Strong AP on broadsides. HE with 1/4th pen is reliable damage. The way to get the most out of her is learning how to kite and maximizing the turret setup.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,047 posts
9,275 battles

They continue to get better as you go up. The Hindi is arguably the best tier 10 cruiser in the game.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
30 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I generally agree with you here.  I will say though that the Tier 6 is kinda meh.  Why?  Because it's basically a slightly better Konigsberg with the same guns and shells.  And unfortunately, those guns and shells now have to potentially face tier 8 ships, and they don't scale up all that well.  It's not that the Nurnberg is a bad ship.  It just just that it feels like you're sometimes fighting tier 8 ships with tier 5 guns, though tier 5 guns with good range.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,335 posts
3,555 battles

I enjoyed 

Konigsberg

Nurnberg

York

I wasn't a fan of : Hipper 

I absolutely love Roon

And I feel Hindy is going to be great. 

@BullpupWOT

The play style you are looking for really takes off at Roon. You get a taste of it at York and Hipper but Roon is when you really feel good about the line. 

[HYDRO]
Members
1,299 posts
3,653 battles

Personally the Yorck was the deal breaker for me, it just felt so meh and bland compared to the rest of the same T7 cruisers. I especially disliked the sudden "nerf" in the AP after the epicness that was Nurnberg and Konigsberg, but thats just me I guess.:Smile_hiding:

Members
63 posts
223 battles

I like the nice AP damage potential and gun velocity but I’ve noticed my shots bounce a lot so I’m still working on practicing German cruisers. I’ve heard their late game cruisers are pretty good so hopefully that’ll be reward enough for getting there. Going from the Karlsruhe to the Königsberg was a welcome change though, so I’d say stick with it.

Edited by Situational_Unawareness

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Personally the Yorck was the deal breaker for me, it just felt so meh and bland compared to the rest of the same T7 cruisers. I especially disliked the sudden "nerf" in the AP after the epicness that was Nurnberg and Konigsberg, but thats just me I guess.:Smile_hiding:

I loved the Yorck, and I played through it back when its turret traverse was one hell of a lot slower.  In fact, I was grinding it both before and after the turret traverse buff.

I can agree that the Yorck is a real change of pace on a line whose flavor is strong HP, but IMO that doesn't make it bad by any stretch.  I don't know why they felt the need to make the Yorck play differently than the other German cruisers in terms of its AP and HE shells.  The ship itself isn't that bad.  Pretty similar to the Algerie with its 4x2 turret layout.  I felt that I did Ok in it, but then again, I don't worry about something like "bland".  To me, warships are warships, and blandness or lack thereof just isn't part of the equation.  Of course, meh-ness, aka mediocrity, is a different story.  Boring doesn't matter to me.  Mediocrity does.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,499 posts
7,354 battles

Karlsrugh and Yorck were the speed bumps in the line for me, as well.  Yorck I made work, but basically skipped of the Karl.

Konigsberg was a keeper, the AP lives up to reputation, cits on Kirov and Omahas, are just fun.  Hipper is Meh Ok, I kept it for awhile, but now prefer Charles Martel at T8. 

The Hindy is awesome. My goto in Clan Battles. The Roon makes the T9 grind bearable.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,193 battles

Karlsruhe was the stinker of the line, thankfully T4 grinds are short. Königsberg is such a dream that I keep it around for fun/citadel missions. Nürnberg is similar but a tier higher. Yorck was difficult for me, so much so I ended up skipping it with FreeXP (which I've only done three times total, Yorck was the 2nd ship). Hipper was pretty good, and Roon is pretty awesome. Though I have a habit of charging in too early and getting obliterated. But when you manage to stare down an Izumo over 12km of open sea while closing the distance and survive the encounter, it's a rush.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles

dresden was a machine gun so fun, kolberg was sort of the same same

~ karlshure was a pile of sheit (although i did get my first double strike in it)

~konigsberg one of the best tier 5 cruisers (hard to say between Kirov, furutaka, konigsberg.)

~nurnberg basically a up tiered konigsberg with a higher rate of fire...

~yorck i didnt really play this just fxped it

~admiral hipper (fxped it) but i do have prinz eugen and i love my prinz. its fun long rage allows you to hammer from a bit of a distance and when you do have to get close those torps are funny.

~roon is sort of a troll sometimes. very long range but wont start fires if rng isnt on your side. it has potential and is quite fun but not a very team friendly ship

~hindenburg LOLOLOL best ship!

[WOLFB]
Members
209 posts
4,682 battles

As someone who has already grinded all the way up to the Hindy i have to agree, the Karslruhe was not fun.

But be assured that the Konigsberg, Nurnberg, Hipper, Roon and Hindenburg all have pros and cons.

Only ship i HATE with a passion is Yorck, it just never clicked with me, it did away with the reliable AP performance for decent-ish HE, and the shell arcs and travel times are horrid.

Here's a bit of a comprehensive look from my experience in them. these are just my opinions though so take it as you may ( slight wall of text so i made put it in a spoiler)

Spoiler

Konigsberg and Nurnberg play similarly:

A) You have no armor and you are a floating citadel, so learning how to wiggle and dodge is king.

B) You have very reliable HE damage, since german cruisers get 1/4th the HE pen compared to other cruiser lines (AKA you have built in IFHE)\

C) If and when someone gives you broadside you can punish them with ridiculous AP power for cruiser standards, the real problem with german cruiser AP is the penetration angles are horrible, if someone angles even slighly, prepare to see most shells bounce.

Yorck (ugh):

A) You are now a dedicated HE cruiser with no armor and slow speed

B) You're best bet for using it is kiting distracted enemies, since you still have reliable HE damage

C) The shell travel times and shell arcs on the Yorck are what drove me crazy (the HE is ok, but the AP, hot damn)

D) If you want to hit anything with your AP i suggest you wait until you're less than 11km from your enemy (AP travel times can get over 17 seconds at longer ranges)

E) One redeeming factor is you have some pretty damn good AA, if you use defensive AA and spec for it

Hipper (a bit of a polarizing cruiser, personally i love it, but i do have some problems with it):

A) You finally have amazing armor, if you angle well you'll be able to shrug off most AP fired at you, even some BB AP (I've somehow bounced yamato shells with it)

B) You have good to amazing AA capabilities (i've had clear skies with mine plenty of times)

C) You are not the fastest cruiser though, and your Concealment isn't as good as some others you'll face so keep that in mind

D) You have very reliable HE damage and decent firestarting, but your main method of damage should be AP, this is where german cruiser AP pops off and becomes amazing. If you see ANYTHING give you broadside, even BBs, you switch to AP, if they angle, switch to HE and rinse and repeat.

E) The two mayor downsides of the Hipper as i see them is the DPM is pretty crap compared to most of your competitors, you will feel the 13s reload, but Hipper makes up for it in raw AP damage, AR helps immensely with this though. Personally i feel like hipper could use a SLIGHT rate of fire buff to make it more competetive, lowering it by 1 or 2 seconds would suffice. The second mayor thing that hurts Hipper is the fact that you'll be facing T10s ALL THE TIME, get used to it because sadly it's what all T8s have to suffer through.

I'll stop myself here, I've already written a wall of text but hopefully it gives you and idea of what to expect coming forward.

Fair seas mates. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Saidalphon
  • Cool 3

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,715 battles

God yes!  Hindenburg is Love!!!

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
209 posts
4,682 battles
Just now, NoZoupForYou said:

God yes!  Hindenburg is Love!!!

Hindenburg is life!

I still kinda wish there where more representation of the Deutschland class cruisers though...like a split line of German double turret cruisers, got it'd be awesome. 

Members
17,691 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, BullpupWOT said:

Loved the line starting at Tier 5. Karlsruhe (and it's been buffed since I was there) is the only ship in all of WoWS that I skipped.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
Just now, Saidalphon said:

Hindenburg is life!

I still kinda wish there where more representation of the Deutschland class cruisers though...like a split line of German double turret cruisers, got it'd be awesome. 

amen zoup. it was fun killing yeh the other day :P

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,715 battles
Just now, RiverTheIdiot said:

amen zoup. it was fun killing yeh the other day :P

o7.  I am proud to be added to your throne of skulls!

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

german cruiser line changes as it goes up tier....

tier 567 doesnt have any armour, maneuverability is OK, firepower is excellent

tier 8 lacks everything, armour and maneuverability and firepower

starting from tier9, it becomes the tank, tier10 hindenburg is the slowest TX cruiser, with brick-like handling, but excellent armour and firepower

• Bad 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

german cruiser line changes as it goes up tier....

tier 567 doesnt have any armour, maneuverability is OK, firepower is excellent

tier 8 lacks everything, armour and maneuverability and firepower

starting from tier9, it becomes the tank, tier10 hindenburg is the slowest TX cruiser, with brick-like handling, but excellent armour and firepower

eh if your 17k+ bb's have a hard time hitting you when you go 1/2 speed and thottle reverse or foward with the rudder

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
1 minute ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

eh if your 17k+ bb's have a hard time hitting you when you go 1/2 speed and thottle reverse or foward with the rudder

which ship are you referering to?

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

which ship are you referering to?

hindy

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

The German cruiser line is the first line I took all the way to Tier X, and I don't regret that decision!  There are a few ships that take a bit more effort along the way, but it's a solid line and didn't feel like a grind to me once I got beyond Tier VI.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
2 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

hindy

be 17km and angled, i dont care about being hit the slightest bit......

gimme more potential damage:Smile-_tongue: