You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BRailfanH

Order of Upgrades for Roon

15 comments in this topic

Members
117 posts
6,647 battles

So this past weekend I finally got my Roon (I've been waiting a long time to build up the credits for her, and get the ship upgrades).  Now that I'm getting close to upgrading the turrets, I'm wondering: should I upgrade the guns first, or the hull?  Should hull always be upgraded first, regardless of what ship you're in?

BTW, I'm going with a maneuverability setup, taking both SGM2 and SGM3, even though my captain has CE (which could mean I could've gone full concealment instead, but on the PTS I've discovered that SGM2+3 worked best for me).

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,406 battles

if you upgrade the gun, your reload come down to 8.8, and if you also had AR as capt skill, you can shoot even faster. 

Now compare that to if you upgrade the hull, you will survive a little longer, you can still dealing out damage base on the AR as capt skill

So which is suit to your own style playing?

[SOA]
Alpha Tester
553 posts
2,474 battles

Get the guns first. The upgraded guns have quicker reload and also quicker traverse, the combination of which will offer a MASSIVE increase to your effective damage output. This makes it much easier to grind everything else. Roon is fantastic. Enjoy!

Also, double rudder is the way to go. You spend a lot of time slinging HE from long range, so your concealment is kinda moot, but your WASD hax are not.

--Helms

• Cool 1

Members
65 posts
2,055 battles

I got my Roon this weekend as well. Guns were first as that 8.8 second reload is awesome. I actually did fire control second as the extra range is nice, and am saving the hull for last.

I may considered the double rudder as I current have the concealment mod installed. With CE cappy and concealment mod I figured it would get her spotting to below 11km... but it does not..... currently at like 11.2 or 11.4 km so might swamp out concealment for double rudder and see how that works.

Like the Roon a lot so far. Didn't play a lot of games in her as MM decided I was not allowed to be on winning teams this weekend, but in like 2nd random game in her landed 150 hits for 120k in a loss.... The heavy rear turret layout is pretty comfortable as I came from IJN cruisers and you are always kiting in those anyway. The HE does solid damage and always be ready to switch to the AP when a target presents itself. The guns arcs are good and the shell groupings are not as tight as Zao but still pretty good. She seems like she is going to be WAY better than the Ibuki was....

• Cool 1

Members
37 posts
6,181 battles

If you have a 19pt captain suggest giving manual fire secondaries in conjunction with CE a try. Late in the game, if you get a snotty little DD with low to mid health in range, the manual secondaries can almost single handedly dispatch them.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,948 posts
8,803 battles

When I re-worked her wiki page a while back, I recommended the gun upgrade first for Roon (instead of Hull B).  I still feel that way.  The improved guns are a significant boost to her battlefield effectiveness, and should make earning the second hull quicker and easier.  Honestly, if you have the free XP, just pick up the gun upgrade as soon as you buy the ship. 

[-K-]
1,948 posts
8,803 battles
23 hours ago, Labedoyere said:

Is double rudder the same things as steering gears mod 3 ?

Yes.  "Double rudder" is a quick way of saying "equip Steering Gears Mod 2 and Steering Gears Mod 3".

[NASTY]
Members
105 posts
5,226 battles

guns first for sure.  Just graduated Roon.  Proud owner of Hindy as of yesterday

Members
1,506 posts
7,931 battles
On 1/30/2018 at 7:56 AM, SeaRaptor00 said:

When I re-worked her wiki page a while back, I recommended the gun upgrade first for Roon (instead of Hull B).  I still feel that way.  The improved guns are a significant boost to her battlefield effectiveness, and should make earning the second hull quicker and easier.  Honestly, if you have the free XP, just pick up the gun upgrade as soon as you buy the ship. 

Hey

Good advice; many times I will use my XP to upgrade a ship that I have unlocked, but rarely have I used XP just to get a ship.   A fully upgraded Roon is one of my favorite ships and my first with a 19pt captain.  I like her just as good as my Hindy, maybe even slightly better, since she handles a bit more nimbly.

Pete

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

I just ground to Roon as well, my plan was range module first (in CAs I always take this first), then gun upgrade, then hull upgrade. Then again, the guns become so much better that it might be more worth it to get the guns first.

[-K-]
1,948 posts
8,803 battles

Get the guns first.

Members
842 posts

The simple answer is this:

1. Mount the GFCSM2 range module immediately
  2. Get the Gun upgrade first.
  3. Now get the Hull Upgrade
  4. Now get the Fire Control Upgrade
  5. Swap GFCSM2 for MBM3 (better ROF)

That lets you comfortably shoot to about 17km the entire time, which is really all you should bother with.  It's not a good long-range HE spammer (that's the Ibuki at this tier). And AP at beyond 17km is really unreliable damage. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,506 posts
7,931 battles

Hey

For my Roon; I prefer to use the range mod over that of the ROF mod.  I like to shoot from range and having the double steering gears allow me to dodge incoming shells decently and with the 10 sec. reload I get good results and the 20.3km range allows me to spam HE on those high tier BB's and I don't need to get closer if I choose not to.  It works for me and I play pretty aggressively with it.  I did all of the upgrades at once since I didn't feel like being aggravated by some portion of waiting but would have done the hull first, guns second, range 3rd.  I love the Roon and is my favorite ship in the game and my first with a 19pt captain.  I seem to be more consistent with it than my Hindy.  The initial specs don't look much better than Hipper/PE but what a difference between them, night and day better.  Mainly due to the ROF increase and more guns.  I found the ROF upgrade was a little disappointing since so many times, upper tier ships were outside my range, but with 20.3km I could then hit them with HE, up close the AP works very well.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i've tried range mod on both hindy and roon, but I seem to prefer  rof mod for both.       short of big wide open map,    18km range is fine.          roon is fun bote and only t9 cruiser that I've kept.