You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tulisang

Anyone Like The Orion?

32 comments in this topic

[TBCIC]
Members
576 posts
6,361 battles

Ahoy, capns ... currently grinding a RN Orion IV (TIL named after a mythical hunter) and for the life of me have not experienced a slower most 'bent turret' shell bracketing BB .. now I know that BBs are slow (yet pack a punch) and enjoy battling with 'em .. especially with my New Mexico, however I'd be interested in any feedback in comment, or even suggestions regarding this boat .. TIA 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Orion_(1910)

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,982 battles

Yeah, Orion for me is one of those OP tech tree ships.  I believe it has the same HE alpha as Montana.  All about positioning, keeping the right fires burning and switching to AP in the right situation.  I kept it because it is so strong, no need to have Wyoming hanging around any more.  Of course Kaiser had Wyoming outclassed already.  That thing is borderline Nikolai effective IMO.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,223 posts
8,400 battles

lolrion

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,524 posts
3,515 battles

Orion has some is the best AP for her tier, 13.5" can get into ships that 12" guns can't and mix with her low penetration means deleting cruisers and DDs is so much easier

Members
1,904 posts
2,492 battles

I only played a handful of games in mine, but in a few of them I did ~120,000 damage. Not bad for a tier 4.

[TBCIC]
Members
576 posts
6,361 battles
6 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Yeah, Orion for me is one of those OP tech tree ships.  I believe it has the same HE alpha as Montana.  All about positioning, keeping the right fires burning and switching to AP in the right situation.  I kept it because it is so strong, no need to have Wyoming hanging around any more.  Of course Kaiser had Wyoming outclassed already.  That thing is borderline Nikolai effective IMO.

I'm not necessarily b!tchin' 'bout her and I like her punch (can't count how many cits) just that the turret & rudder turn is painfully slow.  Guess I have 2 have to keep a generous distance from DDs and stick to HEs when 3+ DDs are RNG'd  .. Presumably she's a 'keeper' after getting the next in line .. just need some getting used to .. thanks for reply.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

It's one of the most OP tech tree ships lol, I imagine lots of people like that. 

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,308 battles
32 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Orion has some is the best AP for her tier, 13.5" can get into ships that 12" guns can't and mix with her low penetration means deleting cruisers and DDs is so much easier

I rarely use AP on it... the HE can citadel any cruiser it comes up against with ease  all but delete any DD that dares to get in range and get spotted,... and BBs??.... well the HE pen damage is very good, and the fires... OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,982 battles
6 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

I rarely use AP on it... the HE can citadel any cruiser it comes up against with ease  all but delete any DD that dares to get in range and get spotted,... and BBs??.... well the HE pen damage is very good, and the fires... OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Yeah it's pretty stupid.  I never use it but as a tech tree T4 in case I need it, I know that at any time I can take it out and have a very high chance of carrying as needed.  Like I mentioned earlier, if I am not mistaken it has the same HE alpha per shell as Montana.  Dumb.  Don't even need Nikolai any more.

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
681 posts
10,330 battles
21 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Yeah it's pretty stupid.  I never use it but as a tech tree T4 in case I need it, I know that at any time I can take it out and have a very high chance of carrying as needed.  Like I mentioned earlier, if I am not mistaken it has the same HE alpha per shell as Montana.  Dumb.  Don't even need Nikolai any more.

Actually better HE Alpha Montana is 5700 Orion is 5900 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,655 posts
8,039 battles

DIdn't played the Onion since I had a flag giving me Iron Duke for free but after playing Iron Duke I can already tell that this BB is broken. 

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles

Orion is straight up silly in Tier IV :Smile_teethhappy:  Consider also how poorly armored every single Cruiser is in her tier range, there are absolutely ZERO REASONS to use AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles

Orion and Iron Duke are so similar in so many ways on paper it isn't funny. I'm currently in the Orion, just getting used to her, but she feels like a comfortable ship to play - although your comments on rudder and turret are definitely spot-on. 

Of course once you get into the Iron Duke, the match-making is no longer in your favour, so I consider the Orion to be valuable preparation for moving up and I'll probably  be staying in her a while after I've worked up the XP (I also need to work up the commander). The best thing about her after the Bellerophon is that she's eligible for tasks in the Science of Victory campaign, so a task that involves setting fires isn't the YOLO-to-your-doom proposition that it is in a British cruiser (you can set fires in Leander and Fiji by getting in really close and staying close long enough for the secondaries to do it, but your chances of both succeeding and surviving are definitely on the slim side, and you can't count on more than one per battle).

Members
457 posts
12,117 battles

The Orion is a lot of fun. Pretty OP overall. The dispersion can be wonky but that’s the only real knock on it. It’s got the crazy good British HE and the AP is great on broadside targets. Because of the dispersion you might want to go HE at longer ranges because even one or two shell hits can easily result in a fire.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,308 battles
10 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

DIdn't played the Onion since I had a flag giving me Iron Duke for free but after playing Iron Duke I can already tell that this BB is broken. 

zYHQBln.gif

Supertester
2,589 posts
8,292 battles

Orion is hilariously OP. Just load HE until something derps up to you full broadside. 

My first salvo out of it set a triple fire on a South Carolina. Poor guy. 

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits

Supertester
2,589 posts
8,292 battles
19 hours ago, Tulisang said:

I'm not necessarily b!tchin' 'bout her and I like her punch (can't count how many cits) just that the turret & rudder turn is painfully slow.  Guess I have 2 have to keep a generous distance from DDs and stick to HEs when 3+ DDs are RNG'd  .. Presumably she's a 'keeper' after getting the next in line .. just need some getting used to .. thanks for reply.

A heads up for you then... The entire RN BB line has slow turning turrets. Ship handling improves at T6+, but you get slow turrets for the entire line. 

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

Orion was a rare enjoyable grind. I’m on the QE now but I’m fairly certain I used predominately AP with it. It was completely satisfying watching underaged botes trying to do a torp run just to fire a whole broadside into them. Popped like balloons, they did.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,391 battles
20 hours ago, Tulisang said:

Ahoy, capns ... currently grinding a RN Orion IV (TIL named after a mythical hunter) and for the life of me have not experienced a slower most 'bent turret' shell bracketing BB .. now I know that BBs are slow (yet pack a punch) and enjoy battling with 'em .. especially with my New Mexico, however I'd be interested in any feedback in comment, or even suggestions regarding this boat .. TIA 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Orion_(1910)

I currently hold the highest win rate on the server over 80% win rate and by far have the highest Kill to Death ratio at 8.8 to 1. Ask away. I'm running a 19Pt captain as I do in all ships I consider keepers. 

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,391 battles
29 minutes ago, Psicopro said:

The Orion is a battleship that the Nikolai looks at and goes "That is bullsh*t."

Couldn't agree more. The Orion is the only one even close to giving my Nik a run for it's money.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,524 posts
3,515 battles
4 hours ago, Psicopro said:

The Orion is a battleship that the Nikolai looks at and goes "That is bullsh*t."

In the Right hands though, I went with 2v1 against 2 Orions in my Wyoming, they fired HE and I fired AP, sure I burned but I sank both of them and since fire is perfectly healable I was able to keep fighting cause I just repaired the damage afterward. With those 13.5" guns they could have easily sank me if they were using AP (and not sailing in straight lines)