You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sinton

To new Battleship players

37 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
2,292 posts
1,329 battles
Just now, Sinton said:

Dutch?   long line of "don't matter" people.

And why does that matter? So what he's dutch? Leave someone's nationality out of this.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,130 posts
6,779 battles
1 minute ago, Sinton said:

Dutch?   long line of "don't matter" people.

Good boy, insult more people… You must be proud :)

Members
63 posts
239 battles

I played a little bit of BB before becoming a cruiser main, so I can understand their fear of torpedos and catching on fire, but everytime I move up with our destroyers to sink enemy DDs, I get obliterated the second I get spotted so I’m not sure what I should be doing besides hiding behind an island and lighting people on fire until the coast is clear. Seems a much better time than dying because I’m slightly out in the open, but I’ll still prioritize destroyers if I see them.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

I think BB players are doing just fine and the whole team needs to be more cautious early on. BB's aren't just sitting back doing nothing they are shooting targets that are trying to kill you. In the latter half of the game when a lot of the ships are on the bottom of the sea it is safer to be more aggressive but early on rushing into the fight is audible to get you blown up or fighting 1v3 or 4. 

Teams should always stick together whether cautious or aggressive, much of the time IME though the majority of the team is standing back picking their spots and 1 or 2 ships are really going forward putting their lives on the line. Now sometimes they manage to take a ship with them before their funerals which is no harm, no foul I guess other times they get utterly destroyed. Recent ranked game I was in had 4 DD's who thought it was a good idea to charge the entire enemy team with torpedos and proceeded to get mad for us four BB's just sitting back. All four DD's got slaughtered and when we went to attack we in turn all got destroyed because we were so heavily outnumbered. In that scenario, you might think to blame the BB player for not supporting you, but don't you think it's fair for the BB players to blame you for getting yourself killed. We usually only need 1-2 DD's at most to cap. As I say on chat so often, you are valuable, we need you later in the game, don't get yourself killed.  

In terms of cruisers, at least with DD's they are hard to hit, cruisers, you realize that you're a BB's favorite target right, why would you rush into the enemy's BB's when you are EXACTLY what they want to see? In games, an early order a BB player often sends out is "find the Cleveland" or find the "New Orleans ", finding a cruiser to sink early on and get the numerical advantage is a vital part to many BB players strategy and just because cruisers are the easiest thing for BB's to kill. Even if we were to come support you, you would be the primary target because getting rid of you would be most of the BB players main objective. Find the New Orleans is a sentence I might have heard more times than sink the Bismarck.  

Edited by Aristotle83

Members
218 posts
2,117 battles

What is very maddening is seeing BBs go up at 3KM to blast a broadside New York and then they shoot HE. It's ridiculous. I don't really get mad when there is a BB behind me landing pens and citadels on enemies, but it is infuriating if you are anything but a British BB. 

Countless times I have seen great opportunities to delete people and yet a friendly battleship insists on firing HE. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,618 posts
5,658 battles
2 minutes ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

What is very maddening is seeing BBs go up at 3KM to blast a broadside New York and then they shoot HE. It's ridiculous. I don't really get mad when there is a BB behind me landing pens and citadels on enemies, but it is infuriating if you are anything but a British BB. 

Countless times I have seen great opportunities to delete people and yet a friendly battleship insists on firing HE. 

At tier 5 I would expect that.  Very much still learning down there.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,233 battles

Ask not what your team can do for you, but what you can do for your team.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
1 hour ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

I'd hope everyone could agree that's inexcusable.  Your anecdotal story honestly is making me terrified of going back down to T4-T5. Problem is at the low tiers you'll have more new players who don't know the difference between HE and AP and you click 1 for HE so it's like the default setting. If you're confused you can always ask in chat(or look it up which is what I did) but something tells me a lot of people don't take these steps and if they do aren't aware that AP is considerably more powerful. Like if someone answers that question they'll be "1 is HE and 2 is AP not that 1 is for setting things on fire and that 2 is almost always more powerful and player still would go on ignorant. Not defending their actions AT ALL, just trying to explain how people like that would exist because knowingly doing that is just so unexplainable.

That being said I remembered this happening in ranked once at T8. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts

As a general rule, you as a BB have two main roles:

- Support your team by getting close enough to inflict punishment on the enemy team at least somewhat consistently. This means shooting at most from 15km away on very accurate BBs like the IJN ones, or getting even closer on less accurate shells like on German BBs. Sitting at max range and landing one shell per salvo isn't helping your team at all.

- Support your team by drawing attention away from them and onto you. Battleships are tanks, plain and simple. Every ship is expected to do damage. But they also have a second role dependent on ship type, and an important one at that. DDs need to cap. Cruisers need to use support tools like Defensive Fire and Radar. Battleships are there to present a big easy to hit target for the enemy to shoot at as they can take that punishment significantly better than cruisers can. It's quite simple ... if at a the end of a match your Potential Damage sits at under 1 million, you're not doing enough. If it's below 500k, it's cause you're intentionally avoiding being targeted and hence being utterly utterly useless to your team that are likely all dying around you. Tank, damnit, or stop playing BBs entirely.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,130 posts
6,779 battles
21 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

Ask not what your team can do for you, but what you can do for your team.

Hello JFK!