Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_Hutt

Petiton to change the name of the French tier 10 Battleship

70 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles

William the Conqueror?  Or The Conqueror?  Duke of Normandy? He who crossed the channel in 1066 and took down the Saxons at Battle of Hastings. 

Edited by dmckay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
30 posts
5,001 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

William the Conquer?  Or The Conquer?  Duke of Normandy? He who crossed the channel in 1066 and took down the Saxons at Battle of Hastings. 

i think the word you're after is "Conqueror".  as in "one who conquers".  which is already the name of the UK tX BB.  and just adding "william the" in front is both too long/verbose and still too similar.

 

though "duke of normandy" is probably a valid suggestion. *shrug*

Edited by BreakingForce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
Just now, BreakingForce said:

i think the word you're after is "Conqueror".  as in "one who conquers".  which is already the name of the UK tX BB.  and just adding "william the" in front is both too long/verbose and still too similar.

Right.  I failed to catch that.  Gonna fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
30 posts
5,001 battles
Just now, Aristotle83 said:

The Maginot is another one I have. 

i don't know that the french are interested in memorializing the grand defensive work that didn't...well...work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
1 minute ago, Aristotle83 said:

The Maginot is another one I have. 

But, but, it was a flop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

But, but, it was a flop. 

I was joking. Cause the France isn't supposed to be good at T10. 

Edited by Aristotle83
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles

The Frog?  :Smile_facepalm:  Oh my, I may be in trouble now. 

Edited by dmckay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
30 posts
5,001 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

But, but, it was a flop. 

"Oh, an "impregnable" defensive line? How cute."

     -The Germans, probably. As they went around the defenses through the Ardennes

 

though, on reflection, the Maginot line itself was named after a french government official, and a ship could also be named after him. iunno. again, not sure they'd want to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
6 minutes ago, BreakingForce said:

i think the word you're after is "Conqueror".  as in "one who conquers".  which is already the name of the UK tX BB.  and just adding "william the" in front is both too long/verbose and still too similar.

 

though "duke of normandy" is probably a valid suggestion. *shrug*

Duke of Normandy has a nice ring to it IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327
[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

I'd be surprised if the name was changed and I don't really see why it's a huge problem.

The Germans had a heavy cruiser named Deutschland, the United States has had several ships named United States and America, and France has actually had a battleship named France.  They're all relatively famous names and in the case of France it seems entirely consistent that they might have named a future major warship with this name.

It's not like Montana, Khabarovsk, or Yamato is somehow a magically exciting name, and in the case of Yamato it's more or less the same connotation.  They're all just places and some of them have next to nothing to do with the sea or naval combat, at least France is a name that was actually used for previous warships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
2 minutes ago, BreakingForce said:

"Oh, an "impregnable" defensive line? How cute."

     -The Germans, probably. As they went around the defenses through the Ardennes

 

though, on reflection, the Maginot line itself was named after a french government official, and a ship could also be named after him. iunno. again, not sure they'd want to 

Heh.  Well it DID make em take a detour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
30 posts
5,001 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Duke of Normandy has a nice ring to it IMO. 

except like...whatever that is in french.

 

because it wouldn't make sense for the French to name their ships in english.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
Just now, BreakingForce said:

except like...whatever that is in french.

 

because it wouldn't make sense for the French to name their ships in english.

OK.  Back to the drawing board!  Hell just put it in French...ya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,950
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,817 posts
11,997 battles
Just now, K538 said:

I'd be surprised if the name was changed and I don't really see why it's a huge problem.

The Germans had a heavy cruiser named Deutschland, the United States has had several ships named United States and America, and France has actually had a battleship named France.  They're all relatively famous names and in the case of France it seems entirely consistent that they might have named a future major warship with this name.

I agree. Add in that the UK has had Albion (an old name for Britain) and Britannia (well...) and it's pretty normal.

 

I also agree with earlier concerns on Charles de Gaulle, whatever parallel universe WoWs exists in, it would seem France didn't get knocked out early in WWII in it, and that the Free French would therefore not have been a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,537
[A-D-F]
Members
1,648 posts
2 hours ago, ChampionsVA56 said:

This is my petition of Wargaming to please change the name of the Battleship "FRANCE" to something more interesting and historically appropriate. Please do this before the release......I think "France" is a bit generic and does not inspire the excitement for a tier 10. Perhaps you could have done a contest much like your Normandie camo contest which was quite a success. My suggestions for names: Joan of Arc or Charlemagne. Just my two cents.....

But, as I understand, gutless surrender monkey was already taken, so they chose a synonym.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,297
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,822 posts
11,559 battles
13 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Lost?  I have never heard the Battle of the Capes described as anything but a French naval victory over the British. This was the battle fought near Yorktown which was located on the Virginia peninsula between the York and James rivers. Are we talking bout the same battle? By the way...being an idiot...I forgot that name is already used.

It was a French victory because they accomplished their mission of getting the transports into the bay by drawing the British fleet away from the bay but they definitely didn't win the naval action. Like I said tactical loss and strategic victory. Graves lost the strategic battle as soon as he went out to fight where if he had stayed in his blockading position the French would have had to try to punch through and likely would have been badly beaten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It was a French victory because they accomplished their mission of getting the transports into the bay by drawing the British fleet away from the bay but they definitely didn't win the naval action. Like I said tactical loss and strategic victory. Graves lost the strategic battle as soon as he went out to fight where if he had stayed in his blockading position the French would have had to try to punch through and likely would have been badly beaten.

I see now what you are saying. Been a long time since I studied this (long time) and I forget but how did the French actually do in the naval battle? O heck.  I can go look that up. Carry on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,705
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,249 posts
16,582 battles
2 hours ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

It's been discussed. Some needs to poke @Pigeon_of_War  and @LittleWhiteMouse and @Lert about the name change...

You might try going a little higher on the food chain, say @SuperNikoPower? @Pigeon_of_War has like 3 Forum posts to write, and if you've ever seen a pigeons feet you gotta know that typing's a huge pain. @Lert and @LittleWhiteMouse technically don't work for WoW, LWM is a community contributor, and Lert is her cat.

22 minutes ago, BreakingForce said:

i think the word you're after is "Conqueror".  as in "one who conquers".  which is already the name of the UK tX BB.  and just adding "william the" in front is both too long/verbose and still too similar.

We could shorten it to "Willie the land grabber!"

11 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

But, as I understand, gutless surrender monkey was already taken, so they chose a synonym.

Or we could just go with "Land of the snotty folk."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It was a French victory because they accomplished their mission of getting the transports into the bay by drawing the British fleet away from the bay but they definitely didn't win the naval action. Like I said tactical loss and strategic victory. Graves lost the strategic battle as soon as he went out to fight where if he had stayed in his blockading position the French would have had to try to punch through and likely would have been badly beaten.

Brits had 6 ships damaged the French only 2 in the naval engagement. Checked....for what it is worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,297
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,822 posts
11,559 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

I see now what you are saying. Been a long time since I studied this (long time) and I forget but how did the French actually do in the naval battle? O heck.  I can go look that up. Carry on!

It was a straight up line vs line action with little maneuvering and when Graves came out de Grasse turned out to sea with Graves following and the actual battle happened about thirty miles out with both fleets sailing in an eastward direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You might try going a little higher on the food chain, say @SuperNikoPower? @Pigeon_of_War has like 3 Forum posts to write, and if you've ever seen a pigeons feet you gotta know that typing's a huge pain. @Lert and @LittleWhiteMouse technically don't work for WoW, LWM is a community contributor, and Lert is her cat.

We could shorten it to "Willie the land grabber!"

Or we could just go with "Land of the snotty folk."

"The B#stard".....William was illegitimate and at times called that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,297
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,822 posts
11,559 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Brits had 6 ships damaged the French only 2 in the naval engagement. Checked....for what it is worth.

True but the French suffered far more casualties. It would be better to call the actual fight a tactical draw and a strategic victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

True but the French suffered far more casualties. It would be better to call the actual fight a tactical draw and a strategic victory.

The Brits had more casualties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×