You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ChampionsVA56

Petiton to change the name of the French tier 10 Battleship

70 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Members
19 posts
22,338 battles

This is my petition of Wargaming to please change the name of the Battleship "FRANCE" to something more interesting and historically appropriate. Please do this before the release......I think "France" is a bit generic and does not inspire the excitement for a tier 10. Perhaps you could have done a contest much like your Normandie camo contest which was quite a success. My suggestions for names: Joan of Arc or Charlemagne. Just my two cents.....

• Boring 1

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Jeanne D'Arc was already in use by a Light Cruiser/Training Cruiser from 1930-1964.

Edited by Goose21891

[KNMSU]
Members
1,395 posts
809 battles
Just now, Goose21891 said:

Jean D'Arc was already in use by a Light Cruiser/Training Cruiser from 1930-1964.

Doesn't mean it can't be reused. Grosser Kurfurst was used by a german protected cruiser in the 1890's too. All the US BB's have had their names used multiple times...

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles
2 minutes ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

Doesn't mean it can't be reused. Grosser Kurfurst was used by a german protected cruiser in the 1890's too. All the US BB's have had their names used multiple times...

Difference being Grosser Kurfust (Cruiser and BB) had long been out of service. Jeanne D'Arc was in service until 1964. Charlemagne, to my knowledge was never use. I highly doubt WG would ever use Jeanne D'Arc simply since they could put the CL in as a Tier 4/5 Premium/Reward/etc ship.

Edited by Goose21891

[KNMSU]
Members
1,395 posts
809 battles
Just now, Goose21891 said:

Difference being Grosser Kurfust (Cruiser and BB) had long been out of service. Jeanne D'Arc was in service until 1964. Charlemagne, to my knowledge was never use.

Fair enough. Either is better than just "France"

[HINON]
Supertester
18,906 posts
12,441 battles
28 minutes ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

It's been discussed. Some needs to poke @Pigeon_of_War  and @LittleWhiteMouse and @Lert about the name change...

I have 0 influence in the naming of ships.

[KNMSU]
Members
1,395 posts
809 battles
Just now, Lert said:

I have 0 influence in the naming of ships.

I know, but maybe you can get info as to weather or not WG knows we aren't happy with the current name?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,906 posts
12,441 battles
1 minute ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

I know, but maybe you can get info as to weather or not WG knows we aren't happy with the current name?

Even if I could, I'd be under NDA and not allowed to tell anyone.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

My vote/ideas would be for Napoleon or Dolphin. 

That being said, why is history a consideration, if the ship is a fake ship? Does giving it an awesome sounding name make it any more real? Monarch is an awesome name too(IMO, maybe you all hate that name, I don't know) but it's still a fake ship. Lots of historical vessels merchant and naval have been given the name France and it is historical even though it's pretty darn boring I'd admit. Wouldn't want a fantasy ship named Japan or America or Germany.  Paris is probably another one they could have used that is similarly common and boring.

I'll admit Joan of Arc, Charlemagne or really any French historical figure sounds much more cool, but the ship isn't real and we're just putting a different name next to a fake ship.

But yeah my vote would be for Napoleon or Dolphin. 

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
581 posts

Would agree with Napoleon, but here are a few more:

Charles de Gaulle

Vichy

Or how about the BB that was never built in the Richielu line: Gascogne

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,185 battles
34 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Charlemagne, to my knowledge was never use

It was used in a pre-dreadnought constructed between 1894 and 1897, Charlemagne being the class leader in a 3-ship class, and served in WW I

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
6 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Charles de Gaulle

Vichy

1)Too modern IMO. There's also a CV with that name. Not sure if WOWS ever breaks the WWII barrier but it'd be good to keep that name in reserve. 

2)Think Vichy would be crossing some sort of hard to define line. None of the German battleships are named after Axis era Germans and I don't think this would be a good idea for PR purposes. You all can probably fill in the lines to what I mean/other potential issues.  

3)A ship with this name exists.  

[PVE]
Members
18 posts
1,570 battles
48 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

My vote/ideas would be for Napoleon or Dolphin. 

Wouldn't want a fantasy ship named Japan or America or Germany.

Napoleon would be a really cool name for a Tier X.

As for naming ships America and such, I would love an April fools game where all the ships are named things like 'Murica, Made in German, Stalininium and such.

Members
4,441 posts
6,138 battles
44 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Charles de Gaulle

Vichy

How about French Admiral de Grasse?  He actually defeated the British fleet off the coast of Yorktown in 1781 thus insuring that Cornwallis and the British army would be trapped and unable to be taken off or resupplied. Then Washington with the help of the French army was able to defeat Cornwallis in a siege. Very important guy in American history.

Edited by dmckay

[PVE]
Members
18 posts
1,570 battles
10 minutes ago, dmckay said:

How about French Admiral de Grasse?  He actually defeated the British fleet off the coast of Yorktown in 1781 thus insuring that Cornwallis and the British army would be trapped and unable to be taken off or resupplied. Then Washington with the help of the French army was able to defeat Cornwallis in a siege. Very important guy in American history.

Already in game as a premium cruiser. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:De_Grasse

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Members
19 posts
22,338 battles

I agree the name Napoleon is a good fit....as well as Louis XIV. Good choices!  A few more that are historically usable: Glorie, Couronne (crown) and Devastation. Now THERE'S a name for a tier 10!!  Devastation was a French ironclad of the 19th century.  So many really great names for French ships............just not FRANCE please.........bleh!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,139 posts
8,762 battles
12 minutes ago, dmckay said:

1 minute ago, Vladeshi said:

Already in game as a premium cruiser. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:De_Grasse

Actually he lost the battle but he accomplished his mission of letting the transports get into the bay, a tactical loss and a strategic win rather like Coral Sea. Also as Vlad mentioned the name is already in the game as a cruiser. Personally I have no problem with the name.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

Since Normandie, Gasconge and Alsace are named after French regions, a fine name for a paper BB would be Aquitaine.  It would be consistent with their naming scheme but wasn't given to any warship in the 20th century.

I don't mind the name France as it's also obviously consistent (since it was the name of a French WW1 dreadnaught) but I would prefer a different name.  WG might change it, though.  They did change the Grosse Kurfuerst's name from Grosse Deutschland.

Members
4,441 posts
6,138 battles
21 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Actually he lost the battle but he accomplished his mission of letting the transports get into the bay, a tactical loss and a strategic win rather like Coral Sea. Also as Vlad mentioned the name is already in the game as a cruiser. Personally I have no problem with the name.

Lost?  I have never heard the Battle of the Capes described as anything but a French naval victory over the British. This was the battle fought near Yorktown which was located on the Virginia peninsula between the York and James rivers. Are we talking bout the same battle? By the way...being an idiot...I forgot that name is already used.

Edited by dmckay