You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wye_So_Serious

Ramming

29 comments in this topic

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,968 battles

In the past month I've had to ram an opponent twice- and I didn't like doing it.

In ranked I had to give in to the incessant chat from teammates to do so, essentially for the win. 50/50 on whether or not I would have won the gun fight given time remaining and the points.

The other time I was in Cleveland, without torps obviously, and a full health Amagi went mid uncontested. I became the torpedo and though I didn't destroy it, damaged him badly.

All that said, I'm getting a little perturbed about the frequency and amount of damage of the intentional ramming lately. It's a bush league tactic.

I get it, do what you have to to win but in my experiences I have seen way too many suicide ramming runs.

I am also aware of the signal for ramming as well but it shouldn't be, for the most part, an automatic destruction.

Do significant damage, yes.

Cause flooding, yes.

I'd be ok if it even caused an automatic fire but the way it is now just rewards garbage play.

And yes I've avoided many ram attempts.

Venting complete.

Members
2,748 posts
6,232 battles

Sometime ramming is the last ditch move. I don't purposely go out to ram but have had to.

[USCG]
Members
176 posts
12,670 battles

Bush league tactic? Perhaps...  Does it work? Yes.  Should it be your last resort?  Depends.  Remember, this is just a game and your goal (IMO) should be to do as much for your team as possible.  Play for the win.  If you're in a circumstance where ramming is your best option for your team then I'm OK with it.  I'd rather take someone with me, or damage them more that I could with my guns/torps with whatever health I have remaining.  Just my $0.10.

Edited by cgbosn4

[SYN]
Members
326 posts
5,976 battles

It’s no more or less common than any other time.  It can be a smart play.  Not sure why you’re upset about it.

Members
1,819 posts

Random or ranked because I have a feeling there is a big difference. 

A random player might just be trying to run out experience really quick and ramming and moving to the next match is viable, and logical if your goal is rewards and to get out of a match fast. 

[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,070 battles

I love getting Rams it makes me laugh uncontrollably Everytime

Members
65 posts
750 battles

I've only rammed somebody once and it was a last ditch effort as I new I was going to sink. They were coming straight at me and I was closing the gap trying to anticipate which way they'd turn at the last second. A bit too early they started to turn right so I held full left rudder and nailed them about mid ship. If I thought I could escape another way then I would have as I'd rather had stayed in the match and done more but at least I can say I took one to the bottom with me.

Edited by psmobius1

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles

Many pre-dreadnoughts had ramming prows, some with an above-water torpedo tube pointing straight ahead as well, to add insult to injury, and I look forward to more pre-dreadnoughts appearing for a bash & crash low-tier play which will be hella fun. Raise that ramming prow on your Borodino and have at it!

I'll plug my pre-dreadnought thread as usual:

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

If you know you're going to die and the opportunity to "trade" presents itself its always a good skill to know when to use it. 

Can't remember what map it was on but it was Domination and there was a good deal of tall islands in and around the cap points. 

I was in Missouri and pressed up tight on the C cap for Radar support for the DDs and other ships in the area. My Mo is spec'ed for Secondaries so I felt like I was in a decent position playing peekaboo with the enemy Cruisers, DDs, and a GK on that flank... and then their Yamato appeared to challenge ours. 

I decided to try and force an outflanking maneuver through gap in the Islands. A friendly DD told me to wait because of DD presence on the other side of the gap. He pressed forward before me and spotted their Yamato and a Kagero planing the same push. 

The DD managed a Torpedo run on the Kagero and Yamato striking the BB with 2 torps. I ruffed up the DD with a good salvo, 5 hits, dropped it to half hp. The friendly DD then vanished to the combined Firepower of the enemy Kag and Yammy. 

I decided to press the gap, I was at 2/3 hp from earlier combat, the Yamato was Bow-to-Bow to me. I knew there was no way I'd win the that gunnery duel so I went for the ram. 

The Kagero also pressed the gap with the Yamato and started scraping up beside her along the Hull. It was at that point I knew I had chosen the correct option of ramming. I angled for the Kagero as the Yamato sluggishly was trying to evading my ship; her guns managed to Citadel me. But she was moving too slow. The Kag dumped torpedoes, I ate 1 on the nose, then my Bow ate the Kagero. I popped DRP  to before contact with her and continued into the Yamato; Die-hard, Double-Strike. A 2-for-1 trade on the ram, but a 2-for-2 for the match. But we traded for a 65% HP Missouri and a 50% DD for a 100% Yamato and Kagero. 

The battle was a loss; the A side flank collapsed then they pushed into B. Then won on points. 

---

Anyways, the absolute most important thing about Ramming. 

Damage Dealt is equal to the Maximum HP Pool of the ship. 

So if you're ramming a ship with a larger HP Pool regardless of how much damage either ship has taken, IF you're the "smaller" ship you will always die; unless you're running the Ram flag, Then you might get away... it would reduce the return ram damage by 20%.

If you choose to "trade" only do so when you confirm the target has taken enough damage to be less than your Maximum HP; with flag 1.5x max hp. 

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
4 hours ago, hofmannsc said:

In the past month I've had to ram an opponent twice- and I didn't like doing it.

I love ramming. I got my Corgi kill last time they were out by ramming.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Many pre-dreadnoughts had ramming prows

In ancient times, ramming was the primary means of sinking an enemy ship. I like the Transylvania ship with it's twin fist ramming prow. I'm sure that Themistocles would have approved.

f584903a-9619-11e6-a6ee-d89d6715223c.jpg

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles
41 minutes ago, Ivlerlin said:

Damage Dealt is equal to the Maximum HP Pool of the ship. 

So if you're ramming a ship with a larger HP Pool regardless of how much damage either ship has taken, IF you're the "smaller" ship you will always die; unless you're running the Ram flag, Then you might get away... it would reduce the return ram damage by 20%.

If you choose to "trade" only do so when you confirm the target has taken enough damage to be less than your Maximum HP; with flag 1.5x max hp. 

Or when you know the target has used their damage control.  Once, Stuck in a situation where I was bound to die anyway, I deliberately rammed a Kongo in my Nicholas even though I knew it wouldn't kill him directly because I'd tagged him with a torpedo about 30 seconds earlier and he'd repaired the flood.  It gave him a Die Hard achievement but it gave me a Flesh Wound achievement about 20 seconds later when the resulting flood finished him off.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Ramming is funny. a waste if one ship is full health and capable of killing the ship without the ram.

[INTEL]
Members
741 posts
7,855 battles

Call me a bush league player. If ramming ensures or increases my teams win chance someone is getting a metal dinner. If I've done something stupid and I'm dying anyway.. brace for impact. I don't do even odds fights. Even odds means the red ship has a chance to be the hero... not happenin if I can help it.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

For me ramming is caused by my desire to split an enemy ship in two. It happened once when I was first playing and it hasn't happened since. Ramming is so awesome though, you can just imagine the other player(especially if they have more health) realizing you have no plan to turn away from them, their scrambled attempts to prevent the collision, their acceptance and finally just bracing for impact, realizing that this is the end. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,021 posts
6 hours ago, hofmannsc said:

In ranked I had to give in to the incessant chat from teammates to do so, essentially for the win. 50/50 on whether or not I would have won the gun fight given time remaining and the points.

The other time I was in Cleveland, without torps obviously, and a full health Amagi went mid uncontested. I became the torpedo and though I didn't destroy it, damaged him badly.

All that said, I'm getting a little perturbed about the frequency and amount of damage of the intentional ramming lately. It's a bush league tactic.

I get it, do what you have to to win but in my experiences I have seen way too many suicide ramming runs.

I am also aware of the signal for ramming as well but it shouldn't be, for the most part, an automatic destruction.

Do significant damage, yes.

Cause flooding, yes.

I'd be ok if it even caused an automatic fire but the way it is now just rewards garbage play.

And yes I've avoided many ram attempts.

Venting complete.

"Had to," someone put a gun to your head and made you do it? No sir, you wanted to do it. You liked it, you know you liked it.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,968 battles
23 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Call me a bush league player. If ramming ensures or increases my teams win chance someone is getting a metal dinner. If I've done something stupid and I'm dying anyway.. brace for impact. I don't do even odds fights. Even odds means the red ship has a chance to be the hero... not happenin if I can help it.

if HP is very low, why not but my issue is with the suicide ramming and destruction of both ships most of the time. I do have Die Hard achievements so it doesn't always happen.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,968 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

In ancient times, ramming was the primary means of sinking an enemy ship. I like the Transylvania ship with it's twin fist ramming prow. I'm sure that Themistocles would have approved.

f584903a-9619-11e6-a6ee-d89d6715223c.jpg

Understood however these beasts have multiple 12" plus guns. Ramming is a last resort not a primary tactic IMO.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
Just now, hofmannsc said:

these beasts have multiple 12" plus guns. Ramming is a last resort not a primary tactic IMO.

Kind of like the bayonet I was issued for my M-16 when I was in the Army.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,968 battles
16 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

For me ramming is caused by my desire to split an enemy ship in two. It happened once when I was first playing and it hasn't happened since. Ramming is so awesome though, you can just imagine the other player(especially if they have more health) realizing you have no plan to turn away from them, their scrambled attempts to prevent the collision, their acceptance and finally just bracing for impact, realizing that this is the end. 

to split them in two they are most likely broadside. If that close why not stop and pummel them with guns, survive and do more damage for your side? That is, of course, if you have relatively good health and a reasonable chance to do damage.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,968 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Kind of like the bayonet I was issued for my M-16 when I was in the Army.

exactly

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

Ramming can be successful. Check out this conversation from a game I played today.

shot-18_01.28_16_11.20-0676.jpg.1fe4cdb5afce57ce7c68ac58bdf6e44a.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
38 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I like ramming as it brings out my Klingon side . . .

pi771rl.jpg

Ever notice whenever Worf tries to die "an honourable Klingon death" he gets blocked hard...

I like his character, so I'm glad he doesn't..  But I do find it hilarious.