You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I keep getting salty and raging in chat, how do I stop?

81 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,361 battles

I’ve gotten myself chat banned many times, because I just get so pissed off when my team makes so many horrible decisions and turns what would be an easy win into a terrible defeat. I don’t call people out by name but I will use various four letter words to describe my team as a whole. I just get so frustrated, and I feel terrible that sometimes I act like a real as*hole in chat. I want to stop getting so salty. It’s not every game or something, but every now and then I just snap. 

I don’t want to be like this, I don’t want to be “that guy” in chat. How do I stop? I’m not like this in real life and I feel bad that this game can sometimes make me into someone I’m not. What can I do to stop getting so salty when my team sucks?

• Cool 1

Members
805 posts
2,358 battles

Take a break from the game and come back after say, a week, also, there may be a way to disable chat through either the options, or through a mod. Better yet, do what I do and when you get to the point where you know you will start getting salty, turn the game off and go do something else.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,853 battles

Self discipline and willpower.

• Cool 10

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
20 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I’ve gotten myself chat banned many times, because I just get so pissed off when my team makes so many horrible decisions and turns what would be an easy win into a terrible defeat. I don’t call people out by name but I will use various four letter words to describe my team as a whole. I just get so frustrated, and I feel terrible that sometimes I act like a real as*hole in chat. I want to stop getting so salty. It’s not every game or something, but every now and then I just snap. 

I don’t want to be like this, I don’t want to be “that guy” in chat. How do I stop? I’m not like this in real life and I feel bad that this game can sometimes make me into someone I’m not. What can I do to stop getting so salty when my team sucks?

Phone maury.

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles
15 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Keep one hand on the mouse and the other on WASD. Not too many words to make with WASD. :Smile_teethhappy:

Seriously, if you get that ragey, then take a break for a bit. Hop into an Operation, although people can get ragey there too. PvE is chill and if you are good at PvP, with a little change in tactics, you can carry hard in PvE if you can shoot and move. Or focus on whatever tasks you are doing and try to ignore what the others are doing. Play your best and don't worry about results. They will come.

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles
27 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

A lot of good players that i know solution is to not play the game anymore or cut down there WOWS time by 90% as they just can't ignore stupidity.

Edited by Final8ty

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I used to rage every once in a while when team mates pulled epic stupids.

I got selected to be a Corgi_Captain during the last event.  As such, I felt I was playing as a representative of WG.  It was their event and their account.  So, I acted accordingly in chat.  I mostly only made positive comments, but even my frustration comments were made in a constructive way that wouldn't offend anyone (well, all but those who will be offended by anything, anyway).

I was able to pull it off.  I decided to adopt most of that chat mentality going forward.  It isn't hard, you just have to make the decision to not be an [edited] in chat.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

I used to rage every once in a while when team mates pulled epic stupids.

I got selected to be a Corgi_Captain during the last event.  As such, I felt I was playing as a representative of WG.  It was their event and their account.  So, I acted accordingly in chat.  I mostly only made positive comments, but even my frustration comments were made in a constructive way that wouldn't offend anyone (well, all but those who will be offended by anything, anyway).

I was able to pull it off.  I decided to adopt most of that chat mentality going forward.  It isn't hard, you just have to make the decision to not be an [edited] in chat.

:Smile_honoring:

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
12 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Take a step back and realize that your reasons for playing on the team may not be other players  reasons like instead of capping there off maybe trying to finish the numerous Campaign challenges

this game is all about fun, your going to always find players who don’t do what you think they should do

you have a choice and I would thing getting angry takes away from the fun factor,

may one timeI also would get angry no swearing but I would get so worked up , and then the big Cruiser nerf pissed me off so much I almost quite ,it made me rethink what I like about this game and I realized I maybe was a tad sucked in and obsessed with this game.. I stepped back and I play much less than I used to but way more fun

Its just a game

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles
3 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Take a step back and realize that your reasons for playing on the team may not be other players  reasons like instead of capping there off maybe trying to finish the numerous Campaign challenges

this game is all about fun, your going to always find players who don’t do what you think they should do

you have a choice and I would thing getting angry takes away from the fun factor,

may one timeI also would get angry no swearing but I would get so worked up , and then the big Cruiser nerf pissed me off so much I almost quite ,it made me rethink what I like about this game and I realized I maybe was a tad sucked in and obsessed with this game.. I stepped back and I play much less than I used to but way more fun

Its just a game

True but i will not throw a game for Campaign challenges.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Go into your keybindings and disable the "Enter" key. 

Not sure if it's possible, haven't been in that area of my settings in a while..

But if it works it works. But if you're heading into Ranked or CWs might want to enable it...

---

Honestly if gameplay is making you rage more often might want to consider self disciplining yourself. 

If you catch yourself in chat-ban territory during a match sit the next 3 out in PvE and don't talk just play. 

Sometimes you just need to step away. When things stop being fun "work" becomes a drag... likewise when "gaming" stops being fun it feels like "work"

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,308 battles

I once got an email from WG with the screenshot of what I said, and a warning....
I tend to keep quite now...

its just a game, and the other players on my team might not know exactly how I would play if I were them, but can you imagine trying to drive 12 ships at once??? I am sure I would lose every time

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
22 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I’m not like this in real life and I feel bad that this game can sometimes make me into someone I’m not.

I've got some bad news for you.  You are that guy in real life too, because games don't change who you are.  I'd guess you don't allow your frustrations to get out of control in real life because you know others will hold you accountable.  It might be time to think about holding yourself accountable for all of your actions.  I don't mean this to be an insult, its constructive criticism.  Good luck.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,210 battles
20 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Self discipline and willpower.

That's it

Sounds easy doesn't it yet it may take years of practice

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles

I used to get torqued off when I'd see team mates do stupid things.  Then I stepped back and looked at my own play and saw how I do thing that, from the perspective of others would appear idiotic.  But in that place and time, it made sense.  So now I just put it all down to this just being a game.  Just part of what you get in a F2P video game.  

Members
4,139 posts

What do I do.

A. Concentrate on having fun in my ship.

B. Do what I can to have a good, respectful game.

C. Ignore chat

D. When I sink, leave game right away, avoids reading chat.

E. Refuse to allow anyone else on my, or the enemy team, cause me not to have fun.

Edited by Wowzery

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles

Imagine everyone on your team and the opposing team is a disabled elderly person or young child until they type something that shows otherwise.  Imagine them as having vision impairment or motor coordination problems from a degenerative muscular condition.  It's really hard to get angry at people who have legitimate issues for why they are bad at this game, so it's easy to be more forgiving in chat if you view them that way.

Once they start mouthing off, it's perfectly fine to let it rip, but that doesn't happen every match, so you should have a bunch of more relaxing matches where you focus on your gameplay and not your teams.  Honestly, the most amazing games I have ever had  always boil down to my team falling apart and 2-3 of us having to pull off a miracle to get the win.

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles

Im controlling my salt by not trying to carry as hard, not going to pull out all the stops to only have it thrown away, i will ignore the garbage teams chat intelling me what to do to try to turn the throw back around again.

Edited by Final8ty

[SPTR]
Members
25,648 posts
10,824 battles

Im usually the quiet one listening to what the teammates want, if I sink early or mid match I know its more often my fault than not
for example:

1. "I died with no support" translates to "I shoulda paid attention to where my team was on the minimap 1st..."

2. "BBs are OP I got one shotted by one" translates to "I chose the wrong time to exposed myself to their guns..."

3. "I got invisi torped!" translates to " I wasn't paying attention to being spotted/targetted by something, the base right next to me was being capped, my RDF pointing in that direction I shoulda known..." 

plus I'm an introvert Im quiet by default but it's a struggle for me to play properly in a full div when us 3 are all on voice chat lol! />.\\

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles
5 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Im usually the quiet one listening to what the teammates want, if I sink early or mid match I know its more often my fault than not
for example:

1. "I died with no support" translates to "I shoulda paid attention to where my team was on the minimap 1st..."

2. "BBs are OP I got one shotted by one" translates to "I chose the wrong time to exposed myself to their guns..."

3. "I got invisi torped!" translates to " I wasn't paying attention to being spotted/targetted by something, the base right next to me was being capped, my RDF pointing in that direction I shoulda known..." 

plus I'm an introvert Im quiet by default but it's a struggle for me to play properly in a full div when us 3 are all on voice chat lol! />.\\

:Smile_honoring:

Introverts Unite! :Smile_izmena:

Separately. In our own homes. :Smile_teethhappy: 

• Funny 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

Too many bad teams?  Am I not performing to my own standards?

Yup, time to play some Minecraft and forget about the world for a while.  

Members
96 posts
5,611 battles

I'd ask what makes you get so upset? I understand that it is the play of teammates, but try to think about why winning or losing the match is so important to you. What is making you care so much that you are getting angry?

[PVE]
Members
8,856 posts
7,257 battles
18 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Too many bad teams?  Am I not performing to my own standards?

Yup, time to play some Minecraft and forget about the world for a while.  

You have to like a guy that can squeeze a bunch of diamonds into a solid block. ;)

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Make a sign to hang above your monitor that says,

"Relax, a__ hole!!"

Believe it or not, I've done this at my desk at work in the past. It works for me. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
95 posts
4,484 battles

Have minor distraction to turn to inbetween matches. Have a TV show paused, single player game on a console open to goof off in for a few minutes,  cookie clicker to tab to and waste time.