You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeathLord1969

Odd issue with windows 10 & new LED TV

25 comments in this topic

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles

I switched from a 60 inch plasma tv to a 65 inch 4k UHD tv, connected to the pc via HDMI high speed cables. With the plasma, windows would "recommend" a res of 1920x180 under display properties.

Now with the new LED, it "recommends" 720x480, using the same connections which are also through a Yamaha RX V-663 receiver. Now, when I connect tv direct to PC, windows "recommends" 1920x1080 3D, but not when connected through the Yamaha.

While I can manually change this, it kinda irks me that it's telling me to use such a low res.

Any ideas?

Old tv was a Panasonic plasma, new is an RCA LED tv. Vid card is an HD 7950. Nothing has changed but the tv.

Edited by DeathLord1969

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles
37 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Try asking your question here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/

I tried to give the wows community a bit a credit when it comes to this.

As for that site, it's still screwy from a DNS outage. Log in, click post a question, click login, click post a question.....

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles
5 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

I tried to give the wows community a bit a credit when it comes to this.

As for that site, it's still screwy from a DNS outage. Log in, click post a question, click login, click post a question.....

I vaguely know the solution to your problem because I used to be a tech on those forums and recall reading it there. However, my main knowledge base is hardware not video so I can't quite recall what the solution was. I believe it had to do either with the cables used or a setting on the TV. What is the exact model number of your TV?

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF3]
Members
5,952 posts
2,203 battles

Sounds like the PC is "seeing" the Yamaha rather than the TV.  I don't think there's any way around that.

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Is your TV set to 1080i in its settings menu?

When I turn the tv on, it opens a small bubble saying 1080p HDMI in the upper right corner for a few seconds.

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Sounds like the PC is "seeing" the Yamaha rather than the TV.  I don't think there's any way around that.

Then why did it work using the same connection for the older tv? Nothing changed with the Yamaha or the PC. Just the tv.

Edited by DeathLord1969

[WOLF3]
Members
5,952 posts
2,203 battles

Why, when you take the Yamaha out of the circuit, does it work as expected?  How old is the receiver? 

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles

When I turn gpu scaling off in the AMD settings, it's 1080i, when on, it's 1080p.

As for the receiver, it's several years old but one of the top levels for that series. It's the RX V-663.

Setting to 1080i from 1080p made no difference.

Edited by DeathLord1969

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I think Ducky is right here. Instead of routing the PC output through the Yamaha and then to the TV is there any way you can connect the PC to the TV directly and then output the TV's audio signal to the Yamaha?

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles

No audio that way. While there "is" an audio jack on the tv, it's PC audio which would sound like crap. No optical or anything, just hdmi.

Most likely wouldn't work for gaming.

Actually, there's the red/white RCA jacks for audio on the back of the tv that I can connect to the receiver.

Here's the back of the receiver. x022RXV663-b.jpeg

Here's the connections on the tv.

20180128_154726.jpg

This wouldn't work as I wouldn't hear the pc audio anymore right?

Edited by DeathLord1969

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles

The Yamaha should be able to pass high-definition video through it to the TV. However, it may not be a new enough system for direct 1080p resolution. Here's a line from the owner's manual " video upscaling to 1080p." Your device operates under HDMI specification 1.3a, it wasn't until 1.4 that full 3-D gaming support was implemented.

-3D: The 1.4 version of the specification defines common 3D formats and resolutions for HDMI-enabled devices, enabling 3D gaming and other 3D video applications. The specification standardizes the input/output portion of the home 3D system, facilitating 3D resolutions up to dual-stream 1080p.

Like I said, I'm mostly just speculating here. You really should ask your question in the AV section of a tech forum.

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles

When I had the plasma connected via HDMI, windows recommended 1920x1080 res whereas the new LED UHD tv isn't.

As for the Yamaha, it is currently at 1080i whereas it was 1080p earlier.

The refresh rate dropped to 29, which is why it was stuck at 1080i instead of 1080p. Back to 1080p now.

As for the other forum, I started at Tom's hardware, the only guy replying said to get a new tv with more features.

Edited by DeathLord1969

[WOLF3]
Members
5,952 posts
2,203 battles

If you run audio-out to the receiver, then yes, but in stereo.  Or you could just go PC to receiver.  What outputs do you have on the PC?  You should be able to run digital/optical from PC to receiver and keep 5.1.

Also, drop a note to @aether_tech.  He knows more about the latest stuff.

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles

Rear panel of the motherboard has the following; 13-130-993-V06.jpg

Rear Panel Ports

PS/2
1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port
Video Ports
1 x VGA port
1 x DVI-D port
RJ45
1 x RJ45
DisplayPort
1 x DisplayPort
USB 3.1
4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A ports
USB 1.1/2.0
2 x USB 2.0
Audio Ports
6 Ports

The 6 audio ports are the smaller 3.5 jacks.

The video card has 41VMSkVbWzL.jpg

Edited by DeathLord1969

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Did you install the drivers for your new TV?

You can't be serious. There are no downloads.

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles
39 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

In plain,simple english.

Why have I been summoned?

iDuckman says you're knowledgeable on tech stuff.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,952 posts
2,203 battles
2 hours ago, DeathLord1969 said:

Rear panel of the motherboard has the following;

Sorry, I just meant the A/V ports.  So no digital or optical out?  Is there maybe a header on the motherboard that isn't brought out?  (I have that on mine - Digital Out - with an external connector that lives in a card slot.)

What does the manual say about the little "PC Audio" jack on your TV?

1 hour ago, aether_tech said:

Why have I been summoned?

He's having trouble routing his game A/V through his Yamaha receiver to his new 4K TV and having the PC believe that there's a 4K TV on the other end.

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles
42 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Sorry, I just meant the A/V ports.  So no digital or optical out?  Is there maybe a header on the motherboard that isn't brought out?  (I have that on mine - Digital Out - with an external connector that lives in a card slot.)

What does the manual say about the little "PC Audio" jack on your TV?

Doesn't say anything about it in the manual, just that there is one. All that there is for the motherboard jacks is what I posted above.

He's having trouble routing his game A/V through his Yamaha receiver to his new 4K TV and having the PC believe that there's a 4K TV on the other end.

Yes, under display properties of the computer, it recommends a res of 720x480 instead of 1920x1080. I can manually change it, not 100% sure it is as it should be otherwise.

Answers in bold/italic.

Edited by DeathLord1969