You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ricky_Racer

HOW TO CAUSE A FLOOD ??? TORPEDOES ONLY ?

26 comments in this topic

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles

@LittleWhiteMouse @Lert

Is flooding only caused by torpedoes?

Curious.

I have played over 300 battles in a Battleship, firing AP only, and never, not once caused a flood.

Just curious.

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

Only two ways.. Torpedo or ramming.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Ramming can also cause flooding, but that's a high price to pay.

[WOLFB]
Members
209 posts
4,682 battles

While i may not be LittleWhiteMouse or Lert, flooding is caused by torpedos and ramming only.

Your shells making giant holes in an enemy ships broadside armor don't count. 

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yep, torpedoes and rams are it.  The chances of causing a flood are found on the wiki:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding

Thanks.

So over-pens, that pass through the ship, does not cause a flood.

Thanks. (Since I use play only Battleships, I guess I shouldn't take tasks that includes "floods)

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
Just now, Ricky_Racer said:

Thanks.

Thanks. (Since I use play only Battleships, I guess I shouldn't take tasks that includes "floods)

My understanding was they played with the idea of penetrations causing flooding, but simply using ship hit points more easily represented ship ballast.

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,148 posts
4,205 battles

Floods used to be cause by overpens with shells. WG found it to be overpowered, and instead of balancing the feature, they removed it altogether. Forcing players to play DDs to ever complete stupid flood missions. 

[HINON]
Members
8,800 posts
5 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

The AP shells will occasionally start fires but no flooding

AP shells have no chance of fire starting in game.

[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,866 battles
1 minute ago, mustangman6579 said:

Floods used to be cause by overpens with shells. QG found it to be overpowered, and instead of balancing the feature, they removed it altogether. Forcing players to play DDs to ever complete stupid flood missions. 

Or Danae and Emerald.

[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,866 battles
8 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

The AP shells will occasionally start fires but no flooding

I thought that too, but I think it really is from secondaries when using AP main guns.

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
4 minutes ago, mustangman6579 said:

Floods used to be cause by overpens with shells. WG found it to be overpowered, and instead of balancing the feature, they removed it altogether. Forcing players to play DDs to ever complete stupid flood missions. 

Thanks. I'm still learning & since US Naval Battleships have no torpedoes, I'll live with it.

(I guess the game has changed) NP.

Thanks.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles

Torpedoes can cause floods but is not guaranteed. Ramming is guaranteed to cause a flood.

• Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

actually this needs to be changed, we shoot AP at the waterline, it got to have a chance to cause flood

for missions that requires DD, current game just sucks for ppl who don't play DD

Edited by Happy668

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

You can also flood a ship if you overflow its toilets. Its extremely super duper rare to pull off, cause you have to convince the enemy ship's captain your own toilets are busted and you need to use his asap. (Using taco bell as an excuse works most of the time. Use at own risk.)

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
44 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Or Danae and Emerald.

There are any number of battleships (Japanese and German), cruisers (particularly Japanese and German but also French IIRC and one Pan-Asian), and any carrier with torpedo bombers which have torpedoes.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are any number of battleships (Japanese and German), cruisers (particularly Japanese and German but also French IIRC and one Pan-Asian), and any carrier with torpedo bombers which have torpedoes.

I agree. Some of the US Battleships had torpedoes but they are not included for them in the game.

I notice when I get within 4 nm in my US BB's, most of the time I over-pen. Very little damage if any. Sure would be nice to have those torps under those conditions. I mean the other nation's BB's have em.

Oh well.

[PVE]
Members
8,818 posts
7,254 battles
1 hour ago, Ricky_Racer said:

@LittleWhiteMouse @Lert

Is flooding only caused by torpedoes?

Curious.

I have played over 300 battles in a Battleship, firing AP only, and never, not once caused a flood.

Just curious.

1 hour ago, Ricky_Racer said:

Thanks.

Well, there are some battleships with torpedoes, but they are the T7 Scharnhorst & Gneisenau and the T8 Tirpitz, so it will be a while until you get those. The T6 Mutsu and T8 Kii have torps, but with small broadside arcs. DDs are probably the quickest way to get into ships with torpedoes (T2+), but they are a way different play style than BBs. Cruisers would probably be a better path as they tend to be jack of all trades, but you have to get around T4 to get some decent torps.

Welcome to the game. Good Luck and Fair Seas.

[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,572 battles

If you really want to start floods more often, use IJN or PA DDs to really make sure that you're causing some flooding at least once per game....provided that you're connecting the torps to their targets fairly often.

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,159 battles
53 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

actually this needs to be changed, we shoot AP at the waterline, it got to have a chance to cause flood

for missions that requires DD, current game just sucks for ppl who don't play DD

Unbelievable the level of whining people do.

There are missions, tasks, and events of all stripe that require a certain subset of ships.  Sometimes they are explicit, "Cause 100,000 damage to Japanese ships using American ships" or something like that.  Sometimes they are not explicit but still a lot more likely with some classes than others.  Destroyers have torpedoes, as do carriers, most cruisers, and even a few battleships.  You're not going to do much flooding as a battleship just like I'm not going to get many citadel hits as a destroyer.  If you want to do the mission, use the ship it requires.  If you only want to play a very narrow subset of ships that's your decision and you should expect less rewards as a result of it.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,501 battles
3 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I thought that too, but I think it really is from secondaries when using AP main guns.