Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Roon gives back

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

Tonight, I finally got my first 19pt Captain and it was in the Roon.  One of my most favorite ships in WOW's; seems like it took forever. 

Pete

• Cool 3

Members
842 posts

I still don't have a 19 point one.  

12 15+ and 8 12+ ones, including 2 17 and 1 18 pointer, but I didn't move my captains up consistently. I tended to grind out 10-pointers on my T5/6 ships, and then put them on my new T7 and+ ones.

So I have lots of good solid captains, but no spectacular ones.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,325 posts
9,387 battles

For a tier 9, the Roon treats rather well.

I also did well on the Baltimore.

Iowa took forever.  Free XP'd the IJN T9 BB Izumo.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I am finding that I like Roon as well. She's a gudbote and great setup to Hindenburg.

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles
10 hours ago, EAnybody said:

I still don't have a 19 point one.  

12 15+ and 8 12+ ones, including 2 17 and 1 18 pointer, but I didn't move my captains up consistently. I tended to grind out 10-pointers on my T5/6 ships, and then put them on my new T7 and+ ones.

So I have lots of good solid captains, but no spectacular ones.

Hey

That was my problem as well, since I still like to play some of my lower tier ships from time to time and wanted to keep captains in them, hence I never moved them up.  My results are similar to your with regards to captains and their skills.  Bismarck will be my next 19pt and Hindy is around 17pts.

Pete

[BS]
Members
5 posts
2,016 battles

I used to actually like the Hipper before I got the Roon, but now I understand why people say the Hipper is underpowered. Because the Roon is way better :)

Only have a 17 point captain though, need two more points before Hindy..

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles
1 hour ago, hetekroket said:

I used to actually like the Hipper before I got the Roon, but now I understand why people say the Hipper is underpowered. Because the Roon is way better :)

Hey

It's funny because I thought having the 2 rear turrets, but only 1 up front was kind of stupid, but it really does work out quite well especially when you have to kite away.  The Hindy is more powerful but is not quite as good a handling ship, not bad but just not quite as good.  At Tier 9/10 you still cannot take serious BB AP at long distances, but they are amazing at close range when angled.  I run double steering gears on both and I also run the range mod on both and very happy with that outcome, some prefer the ROF mod, but I like the range at 20.7 km.  I too have a 17pt Captain in mine.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

[BS]
Members
5 posts
2,016 battles
14 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

It's funny because I thought having the 2 rear turrets, but only 1 up front was kind of stupid, but it really does work out quite well especially when you have to kite away.  The Hindy is more powerful but is not quite as good a handling ship, not bad but just not quite as good.  At Tier 9/10 you still cannot take serious BB AP at long distances, but they are amazing at close range when angled.  I run double steering gears on both and I also run the range mod on both and very happy with that outcome, some prefer the ROF mod, but I like the range at 20.7 km.  I too have a 17pt Captain in mine.

Pete

I still need to get used to that one front turret, because in the Hipper I used to rush enemy bb's when they got to close, but in the Roon that doesnt work as well. Added to that one set of torps and just that one turret up front, no-one is really scared of a rushing Roon it seems :)

But as you say, its nice when trying to disengage, plus the angles on the turrets are good enough imo.

I run extended hydro and reload mod, not that good at hitting targets that far away anyway..

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

It's great fun to see a nearly dead in the water T9/T10 BB camping in the back and using my long range to spam HE and set them on fire; then if they do shoot at you, you have enough maneuverability to dodge their shells and keep on spamming.  Up close with other cruisers use AP and if it's a DD, pop hydro and shoot him with HE.  It's always fun (most of the time) to see him slow down pop smoke and with your hydro, it's his death sentence.  She handles better than Hindy and with a speed flag it gets better.

Pete

Members
4 posts
1,558 battles

Well said sasq, agreed 100%. Roon easily my favorite ship so far close second is the ship WG gave to me as a come back to play wows again and that is the Guilio Cesare. Amazing premium B.B. pretty awesome of WG to give that to me, lord knows I’ve spent enough on WoT and now this game 

Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles
On 1/31/2018 at 3:24 PM, hetekroket said:

Hey

Obviously I have just gotten my 19th point on Roon but I only have a 17pt captain on my Hindy simply because I love my Roon and didn't want to move my captain up.  The Hindy has a higher damage potential between the two, in fact my best game ever (slightly over 201.5K damage) was in my Hindy.  You can do just as good with 17 pts as you can with 19 pts, it's all in how you play it.  You will always have those amazing games and those crappy ones, never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Pete

Sign in to follow this