Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
epojokke

Reporting AFK players

39 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
343 posts
4,196 battles

When do you report an AFK player?

I'm asking because I played "ONE" game yesterday (ranked) and I kept getting kicked because my internet stopped working. I did make it into a cap before I was kicked the first time, I wrote a message in chat at the beginning and one time I got back in I hit a BB for about 3K dmg. I'm pretty sure the team won the game.

However, the last time I got in, one of my teammates was writing in chat that people should report me for being AFK.

I'm not worried about being reported for that, but I never report people who actually more and seem to try. It should have been obvious that I was having some connection problems.

What say you?

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,758 battles

I doubt anyone is getting banned from the occasional AFK battle since the game has become unstable for far too many players.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Don't let it bother you AFK's Happen to many players for fault of their own.

wWjXEXY.gif

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO
  • Angry 1

[BS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
5,763 battles

I generally wait until the end to report AFK's, especially recently. You don't know if that person's client crashed, or connection dropped... they could return and still contribute.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
6 minutes ago, Wodyo said:

I generally wait until the end to report AFK's, especially recently. You don't know if that person's client crashed, or connection dropped... they could return and still contribute.

I feel that pain, been there recently.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,782 posts
14,856 battles
1 hour ago, epojokke said:

What say you?

I say the masses are asses and should be ignored, unless you're into aggravation with no pay off. It's a game, don't let players who start foaming at the mouth at the very first excuse cause you any stress, just play your game as well as you can, and if something happen ... well, you know what happens if you can't take a joke. 

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles

While most AFK incidents are beyond the player's control, if you are having connection issues you should not play a multiplayer game until they are resolved.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

While most AFK incidents are beyond the player's control, if you are having connection issues you should not play a multiplayer game until they are resolved.

For some people that's just the way of life, they live out in the country or not close to a high speed net provider. Can't blame them for wanting to play the game too.

Just for the record myself i have high speed cable.

Besides, there's something laggy going on with WG's servers of late and there's lots of late load in's happening so its not just the players. I'm seeing it alot tonight and hearing of it in game.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,815 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

During my recent overheating issues, I had to play Randoms to test each potential fix I tried: none of my other software taxes the GPU the way WoWs does, and the reduced team sizes in Co-op weren't enough to trigger the issue.  And when the PC did overheat, there was no way for me to get rebooted and back onto the server before a match ended.  I stayed in lower tier ships out of courtesy to the other players, but in the end I wound up "AFK" in several battles.

Really sucked, too, because one of those was well on its way to being my best-ever Fujin game.  Already had the Kraken with ~10 minutes left in the game and two more ships lined up for the next reload. :Smile_sad:

Edited by Harv72b

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles
6 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

During my recent overheating issues, I had to play Randoms to test each potential fix I tried: none of my other software taxes the GPU the way WoWs does, and the reduced team sizes in Co-op weren't enough to trigger the issue.  And when the PC did overheat, there was no way for me to get rebooted and back onto the server before a match ended.  I stayed in lower tier ships out of courtesy to the other players, but in the end I wound up "AFK" in several battles.

Really sucked, too, because one of those was well on its way to being my best-ever Fujin game.  Already had the Kraken with ~10 minutes left in the game and two more ships lined up for the next reload. :Smile_sad:

Do you have a laptop? Laptops, especially gaming ones, are notorious for overheating when playing games. Oftentimes their cooling fins are clogged with lint.  Unfortunately, they are difficult  to disassemble and clean. If you haven't cleaned your laptop in a while then search for the disassembly instructions on the web and on YouTube for instructions how to do so. After this you might consider a cooling pad such as the one shown below. Finally, you don't have to play a game in order to stress test your system.  Instead use this https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley.

71-HxBRZHnL._SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,815 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Do you have a laptop? Laptops, especially gaming ones, are notorious for overheating when playing games. Oftentimes their cooling fins are clogged with lint.  Unfortunately, they are difficult  to disassemble and clean. If you haven't cleaned your laptop in a while then search for the disassembly instructions on the web and on YouTube for instructions how to do so. After this you might consider a cooling pad such as this one shown below. FInally, you don't have to play a game in order to stress test your system.  Instead use this https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley.

No, it's a tower.  But you weren't far off the mark anyway...turned out there's a heat sink on the bottom of the case that I never knew about, and the screen was all clogged with lint. :Smile_hiding:

I'm aware of the various performance testing sites/apps out there, but I was only interested in testing for this specific usage, and the overheating issues weren't very consistent...sometimes I'd crash in the first game I loaded into, other times I'd be good for an hour or more before the system locked up.  Now that I found the vent & cleaned it out, no problems even after a 17 game session.

EDIT: no problems other than variance kicking my butt for that 12-game winning streak I had last weekend.

Edited by Harv72b

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles
7 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

No, it's a tower.  But you weren't far off the mark anyway...turned out there's a heat sink on the bottom of the case that I never knew about, and the screen was all clogged with lint. :Smile_hiding:

I'm aware of the various performance testing sites/apps out there, but I was only interested in testing for this specific usage, and the overheating issues weren't very consistent...sometimes I'd crash in the first game I loaded into, other times I'd be good for an hour or more before the system locked up.  Now that I found the vent & cleaned it out, no problems even after a 17 game session.

Lint is the bane of computer systems. Here's a funny true story of a lint-clogged computer.

I was over at my girlfriend's apartment when I was in college. Her roommate was working on the computer and when she had written a CD-RW, pulled out the disk and tossed it from hand to hand saying "Hot hot hot." I told her that a CD shouldn't be that hot and looked at the computer. What I found amazed me. My girlfriend had a pet dove that was constantly shedding feathers.  That computer was packed full of feathers and down from that bird as well as wads of hair from her cat. I cleaned it all out and the hot CDs were a thing of the past. A modern system would have clamped down and shut off. However, this was back in the days of the original Pentium. Those things would get so hot that they literally would melt themselves into a motherboard.    

Edited by Snargfargle

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,641 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

I say the masses are asses and should be ignored, unless you're into aggravation with no pay off. It's a game, don't let players who start foaming at the mouth at the very first excuse cause you any stress, just play your game as well as you can, and if something happen ... well, you know what happens if you can't take a joke. 

You said it. Asinine online behavior has little downside, so we get more of it here than in the RW.  I used to find it irksome. Now it's so commonplace it's barely mock-worthy. Note that I said barely.. 

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles

If they are still AFK 5 min into the battle I'd report,  But in all honesty, I believe All of them except for the, Misbehavior in chat, is really even looked at, I think they are all just a placebo option.

Members
564 posts
630 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Do you have a laptop? Laptops, especially gaming ones, are notorious for overheating when playing games. Oftentimes their cooling fins are clogged with lint.  Unfortunately, they are difficult  to disassemble and clean. If you haven't cleaned your laptop in a while then search for the disassembly instructions on the web and on YouTube for instructions how to do so. After this you might consider a cooling pad such as the one shown below. Finally, you don't have to play a game in order to stress test your system.  Instead use this https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley.

71-HxBRZHnL._SL1000_.jpg

I want that thing...

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
5 hours ago, Wodyo said:

I have been lucky enough to have TWO prolonged disconnect absences (and one AFK for a distressed child) that ended with me coming back into the game to find an enemy ship bearing down on me at almost point-blank range.

I felt sort of bad for denying them their easy kills... but when life presents you with lemons AND gives you a set of torpedoes to act as a squeezer, then pull the trigger and enjoy that tasty lemonade, baby.

The upset-child AFK was in a Vampire in co-op, where I was fortunate enough to have already parked my ship in a concealed cove and came back just in time to sink three ships to finish off the match.

The upshot of this is that I no longer trust any ship to be AFK, and I never report for AFK. I played a Vampire game a short while ago where I felt a bit bad for concentrating on an AFK destroyer when I could have been doing other things, but then I remembered my own experience of getting back to the keyboard "just in time" and so I parked nearby and gunned and torped him to destruction before moving on (I might have just put a torpedo out at him and walked away, but if he had come back in time it would have missed).

Members
2 posts
548 battles

My primary pc crapped out and i have been forced to use an older pc that is really nothing more than an etch-a-sketch with delusions of grandeur.  ( HP all in one ftw!) On this potatoe, I can run 10 or more coop games before i get a dropped connection. But if I try to play random, I can expect to get perma dc'd or stuck at loading screen from a game within 2 or 3 games. I alwas feel bad if I cant get back in but sometimes my pc just wont do it. As of yet, I have not seen any negative consequence of the afk games I have had. (Prob about 10 or so afks in the last month.) Not sure how many of those games I was reported in.  

As for me personally, I don't think I would report another player for afk. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control and we have no way of knowing what is really going on.

[SALTY]
Members
116 posts
4,222 battles

It goes both ways. Don't report players that don't load in instantly - the ranked mode hung my client once every 20 rounds or so even with an SSD. But don't queue up for ranked if you are having issues with your connection and constantly dropping. That's not fair to your teammates. 

Members
3,412 posts
6,072 battles
6 hours ago, Harv72b said:

During my recent overheating issues, I had to play Randoms to test each potential fix I tried: none of my other software taxes the GPU the way WoWs does, and the reduced team sizes in Co-op weren't enough to trigger the issue.  And when the PC did overheat, there was no way for me to get rebooted and back onto the server before a match ended.

Download BOINC and then connect to SETI@Home  - it will work all cores at 100% (Folding@Home should also do the same thing).  When I build my PCs that is the only thing I use to test the CPU and heatsink/fan.  If it is going to overheat - it will do it in less than 5 minutes .

Members
2,274 posts
7,347 battles

I always report AFKs. They are a bad thing for the game. Since its a team based game one AFK has the potential to harm the team.

But dont worry, If this dont happens very often to you nothing will happens to you.

But if you have connections problem very often them im sorry, but you shouldnt be playing a online game. 

• Cool 1

Members
48 posts
9,697 battles

Only report AFK players that were the entire game, or the player who 5 minutes into the game, I gotta run! wth, why did you even begin the game if you do not have 20 minutes to complete it...

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
8 minutes ago, CommodoreLane said:

Only report AFK players that were the entire game, or the player who 5 minutes into the game, I gotta run! wth, why did you even begin the game if you do not have 20 minutes to complete it...

Most AFKs are trying to get in the game. This was a problem for me for a few patches, now it's ok again.

Members
163 posts
12,389 battles

I will report AFK if they never load in, but not for a late start. I wait until the ranking screen  and look for 0xp.

I’ve DC’d and loaded with 5 min to go and still contributed, and have seen that from other players too, so I won’t report a mere late start.

Edited by dbs1701
Typo

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
10 hours ago, epojokke said:

When do you report an AFK player?

I'm asking because I played "ONE" game yesterday (ranked) and I kept getting kicked because my internet stopped working. I did make it into a cap before I was kicked the first time, I wrote a message in chat at the beginning and one time I got back in I hit a BB for about 3K dmg. I'm pretty sure the team won the game.

However, the last time I got in, one of my teammates was writing in chat that people should report me for being AFK.

I'm not worried about being reported for that, but I never report people who actually more and seem to try. It should have been obvious that I was having some connection problems.

What say you?

When they never move from their spawn point the whole game. CVs who never launch a plane or sit in a corner as a bot/macro spamming planes that never go anywhere and just sit around them, etc. I don't think it even matters though.

[CAST]
Members
1,160 posts
7,185 battles

I don't report AFK if they load late or get kicked.  I do report if the ship is AFK for the whole match.  No so much for the action of the player, but so that there is a record of the AFK.  I don't know if anything is done except for adding or subtracting karma points, but if it is tracked, then WG will have better records of how many ships are AFK and can react to any problems that might exist.

Sign in to follow this