You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JochenHeiden

Tashkent: A little OP or is it just me?

22 comments in this topic

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles

I'm "grinding" this ship right now on the way to the Khab, and all the horror stories I heard about it are completely unfounded.  I am currently running a broad daylight zero concealment gunboat build and I am finding the thing basically unkillable, between the heals, the ridiculous speed, and the insane handling. 

b4ed68800fb91c21193e60d68beee31b.png

Are my results consistent with everyone else, or am I just good at driving turd boats?

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

Russian DDs have a knack for being easy to use, yet the masses still struggle way more than in other DDs. This gives it a very easily beatable average stat.

[BS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
5,763 battles

They aren't exactly easy to hit, when driven well. Nice job

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles
10 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Russian DDs have a knack for being easy to use, yet the masses still struggle way more than in other DDs. This gives it a very easily beatable average stat.

Why do they struggle so much?  I don't really know what the struggle would be.  Drive fast, shoot.  How can you mess that up?

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
45 minutes ago, JochenHeiden said:

Why do they struggle so much?  I don't really know what the struggle would be.  Drive fast, shoot.  How can you mess that up?

You're not wrong.

It sports the lowest win rate average and k/d average. This accounts for half the WTR rating. Damage is fourth for it's peers.

Despite this, we both know doing damage is no stretch for it since it's a gun based DD rather than a torp one, and focuses on damaging ships with more HP, such as cruisers and battleships.

If you know what it takes to win games, you know what it takes to win games in anything. Especially if you division a lot.

Not hard to score one kill a game with it, which is already above it's average. With all those three things covered, it's pretty easy to do far above the expected average for these ships.

As to WHY people do poorly in it to drag these averages down, perhaps they still cling to using it's torps too often, or aren't able to dodge while shooting for damage. This will also count as playing a ship ineffectively, and result in lower winrate and k/d. 

[EQRN]
Members
302 posts
8,644 battles

My biggest impediment to playing these is that I want to play like a DD and cap stuff.  And I do get better games when I just roam about and burn stuff down, but then I get a match like yesterday’s where it is me in my Kiev as the sole DD up against a Sims and Z-23 in domination mode.  No surprise we lost, I wanted to apologize to the team before we even started.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles
4 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

My biggest impediment to playing these is that I want to play like a DD and cap stuff.  And I do get better games when I just roam about and burn stuff down, but then I get a match like yesterday’s where it is me in my Kiev as the sole DD up against a Sims and Z-23 in domination mode.  No surprise we lost, I wanted to apologize to the team before we even started.

One of the reasons I am getting such yuge rounds is because I still cap in the Tashkent, even with a 9.1 concealment.  It's so fast I can get to caps before anyone else does and steal it.  Example, I played a round on North today spawning on the north end above C, and I speed-boosted to D, capped it, then flanked around the islands and hit a bunch of people who were held up near the south end of C.  After I farmed them, I kept flanking and was eventually south of A farming those guys too. 

You can still cap in these speed boats!

Members
321 posts
307 battles

I dont find it Op, but really difficult to make good rounds with it. When it is spotted you`re done.

I love the ship, its lines and the fact that it was an actual ship, not a paper one like most top tiers.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
311 posts
11,632 battles

Tashkent is probably for you. This ship is unique unto itself in that it handles uniquely from any other RU DD and DD's in general. Because of this, people never get used to it and just want to grind it away and sell. It has how ever been my only primary ship since it was a T8 ship to this day. Altogether I have over 600 games in it (T8 Tash and T9 Tash combined). I run full conceal build at 7.4km and the torp reload upgrade. It allows me to chug out 9 torps every 54 seconds or so.  I can area deny a cap early game since by the time enemy dds enter cap most likely still have like a good 30s or so to reload their first torp batch. It is a ship that becomes increasingly more powerful with every captain level it gains.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles

Now that I have the Khab, I can say with confidence the Tashkent is definitely a BETTER ship for its tier.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles

Here is the result of the most pleasant and successful Tier 9 grind I have ever experienced.  The Tashkent gets 2 thumbs up, 5 boners, and 10 star rating from me.  This thing was absolutely DOMINANT.

48df672a83f1c7015b84c7ba97015c60.png

• Cool 1

Members
321 posts
307 battles

Rushed aovr it in my way to Khab, now trying to recover it.

I noticed in this post: 

973Wvay.pngThat the Tashkent is even longer than the Khab, and similar in size to some tier VI cruisers...

Members
321 posts
307 battles

I made a lot of battles in it this week and seriously, I not get results or have fun.

My life is going in advance to spot or cap, being detected by the hole enemy team, put on fire and sunks, longest life 30secs.

I have fun and get results on Leningrad and Kiev, and I think differences should not be so great.

I understand Trashcan is really a fast cruiser, but so much?

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

Think some people have trouble with it since being Russian it certainly is not with out flaws, but then again everything has pros and cons.

Russian DDs seem to be odd DD / CA mix which can throw people off. Like my DD play often is Torpedo based ninja attacks as a DD, and if I want rapid fire gunpower I use CAs. Other factor is you have IJN second line gunboat DDs and USN Gunboat DDs so they take some of the gunboat DD players as well which is good to have multiple options for desired roles.

But also might contribute to the negative opinions of RU DDs, but if are really click with certain ships and your performance shows this then you use those ships even if popular opinion on those ships is bad.

• Cool 1

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,983 battles

I agree that Tashkent is underrated but 95% WR?  Jeez.  You must be divisioning with 2 other OPG guys and wrecking the red teams.

Out of curiosity do you run heal or smoke?  I use heal on my Tashkent and Khaba.  

[EREKT]
Members
759 posts
5,763 battles

How are you people runnin and gunning with this ship and not getting hit by shells? I've tried steering gears mod 3, i still get hit no matter how much i bob and weave. the damage may be little chunks here and there, but it accrues way too fast to keep doing it long enough to rack up any serious damage. i even run AFT with it so the range is like 15km

[EREKT]
Members
759 posts
5,763 battles
1 minute ago, HorrorRoach said:

How are you people runnin and gunning with this ship and not getting hit by shells? I've tried steering gears mod 3, i still get hit no matter how much i bob and weave. the damage may be little chunks here and there, but it accrues way too fast to keep doing it long enough to rack up any serious damage. i even run AFT with it so the range is like 15km

I suppose how and where you do this makes the difference... I'm gunna try doing it on a flank where there's less ships to shoot at me.

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,983 battles
9 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Here's what I do:

• If there are lots of ships targeting me I hit speed boost.  
  • Prefer to engage DDs and BBs.  Avoid fighting cruisers, particularly at close range.  Minotaur or DM at close range = death
  • Move unpredictably.  Not just zig zag back and forth but completely unpredictable.
  • If your max range is 15km then you can dance around all day lighting fires on BBs at 12-15km.  No BB can hit me when I do that besides the occasional Montana...  For some reason Montana can snipe my Khaba from time to time.  Usually if I'm a little too predictable in my movements.  
  • If you see a DD just straight up murder them.  They only thing they might have on you is torps.  The only DD that can give my Khaba (or Tashkent) any trouble at all is either another Khaba or a Shimi torp wall that I run into.  

[EQRN]
Members
302 posts
8,644 battles

I just finished Tashkent, wow.  65% WR when my overall WR is 55%.  I thought I was going to hate this thing as I had a very hard time with the Kiev.  Someday I am going to go back to the Kiev and get its WR up, because I learned a lot in the Tashkent I should have learner much earlier.  This ship has got to be one of the best kept secrets in the game.  Someone must have done a lolz stealth/torp Tash build :cap_book:

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
430 posts
1,557 battles
On 2/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, JochenHeiden said:

Here is the result of the most pleasant and successful Tier 9 grind I have ever experienced.  The Tashkent gets 2 thumbs up, 5 boners, and 10 star rating from me.  This thing was absolutely DOMINANT.

48df672a83f1c7015b84c7ba97015c60.png

OP, you seem like a ridiculously talented player who could do well in anything you drive.  That said, Tashkent's current setup is probably a bit OP - BUT only if one can adapt to its unique style.  For example...

On 2/1/2018 at 6:42 AM, Patosentado said:

I dont find it Op, but really difficult to make good rounds with it. When it is spotted you`re done.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:29 AM, Patosentado said:

My life is going in advance to spot or cap, being detected by the hole enemy team, put on fire and sunks, longest life 30secs.

The same thing happened when I tried to drive the Tashkent like a traditional DD.  With a captain in the retraining doghouse, I'd race to the cap, slow down and expect to duel the other guy's DD.  Except that I never saw the other DD, who spotted me from outer space and let his cruiser friends roast marshmallows on my stern.  A slow Tashkent is a big XP pinata.  So yeah, I had the ship's pluses/minuses beaten into me. 

I have played almost nothing but Tash since I unlocked it, so my sig shows how even an utterly average player can figure out he Tash.  Honestly it's a beast.  I have a few simple rules that seem to pay off, some skimmed from Flamu:

• Potential damage is gold.  Every volkswagen-sized shell that splashes off your bow is damage your team didn't take.  That means you WANT the other team shooting at you - forget concealment, use heal and speed to stay alive.  You need the enemy to miss so keep your speed up, don't sail predictably, keep 11km+ distance, and run away from railguns like Zao or Moskva.  Those two are the Tash's hard counter, with Roon and Donskoi close behind.  Minotaurs are not at all scary - they can't hit you from 12+ km and they never chase.  Getting pursued by a determined IJN cruiser, OTOH, kind of sucks.  Take on peers like Tash/Khaba if you have a cruiser for backup; if not then go somewhere else. 
  • Flank flank flank.  See that part of the map where no one is right now? Go there.  You might thwart a sneaky push by the other team, or the flank's empty and you can slip around and set up a crossfire.  Think like a sheepdog - vastly superior groups of enemies will often turn away from persistent harassment even when you're not doing that much absolute damage.  If you can herd the other team into a cross-fired bait ball then the game is won; the rest is a matter of time. 
  • Check out caps even if you don't plan to keep them.  I generally rush into a cap right away to "knock on the door": I know the enemy team will see me, so I turn away right inside the circle, toss pre-emptive torps and get ready to split.  Often this scares the red DD out of the cap, which is useful, and the enemies who open fire (generally they miss) gives my team the first shot at a bunch of red targets. If I don't get spotted just inside the cap then most likely the reds are ignoring it and I can secure it for my team.  This leads to some lucky breaks like when a red DD shoots at me, realizes his dumb mistake (Priority Target# 5...6...7...8), smokes up, and then eats my torps.  Mostly I just do this for the intel value. 
Edited by Eugenie_101
  • Cool 1

[ICBM]
Members
300 posts
4,849 battles

Tashkent is so fun it's silly. As long as you play smart, there is really no reason to ever die. You can harass BBs for hours at 14km and watch them implode as they try and try and try to hit you. If they do... I've got three heals, maybe four, so keep shooting guys. You got a long way to go. Lol. And unlike khab, she has a good rudder shift, so very tricky to hit at range. 

• Cool 1