Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Evading CV Torps

22 comments in this topic

Members
129 posts
6,644 battles

Hi;

I mostly play a BB (usually Bismark) and I am not a great player.  I would appreciate any advice on how to avoid CV torpedoes.  It seems like the range they drop them at gives me little to to no time to move to evade.  I had one drop two bombs and a spread of torpedoes all at the same time.  Any counter measures would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide
change spell

[SYN]
Members
14,381 posts
10,260 battles

If you see them anywhere near you, steer into them, that's your only hope.

The game isn't designed so you can avoid skilled CV torps in any ship that doesn't have DFAA.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

Auto drop: slow down and turn into squad, pretty easy

Manual dropping torpedoes basically on top of you: turn into squad before they drop, good luck

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Manually target the torpedo bombers. If they have more than one, steer into the one you aren't targeting. That way you'll hopefully shoot down some of one and drive through the others. Also, stick near other ships, you don't have to be too close if you can keep a decent AA bubble between you and the enemy CV. Basically, try to make yourself an unappealing time investment and/or a costly strike to make.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,314 posts
9,414 battles

Turn into the bombers before the torps are dropped.

Use islands to limit where a CV can drop to make them fly the long way around and lose more planes to AA.

Don't go lone wolf and try an stay near an AA cruiser, North Carolina, ect...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
582 posts
4,589 battles

turn in and slow down, but it does depend on the angle that they are being dropped onto you as well.

Fighter plane also disrupts them. Also in slot 4, perhaps try the steering module for your vessels upgrades to help increase the turn ratio.

Last recommendation is to stay with friendly vessels, not always ideal but it stops you being picked off early. Your AA also takes hits from HE, so you will lose some strength there, unless you use modules to help increase your secondary and AA turrets.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

you simply cannot evade a manually dropped torp

the only thing you can do is turn your bow into the plane, thus lengthen the time it need to spend in your AA bubble to get a good angle to drop torp, so that you can shoot down more planes before torps get you

alternatively you can stay beside AA cruiser/other BBs, overlapping AA bubbles are too strong, and CV will not choose you as their target unless your group is the only ones alive

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,569 battles

Pretty much what others have said.  The best way to avoid being torped is to make yourself unappealing. 

If you are attacked:

If single torp squadron, focus your AA on it and turn into it.  If more than one squadron attacking from multiple directions, Focus one and turn into the other.  If multiple squadrons attacking from the same direction, focus one and turn into them. 

Really though, if theres a CV in game, find an AA buddy and stick with him.  Had a great game two nights ago in Musashi against an enemy Midway.  I hung out next to an Iowa all game, told him i was his battle buddy, and we proceeded to mow down the enemy surface fleet while he kept me safe from air attacks on at least two occasions.

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,713 posts
4,699 battles

In the Bismarck it's really going to depend on how good the carrier player is at manual drops.  Some can drop where you've only got a fraction of time before activation and impact. 

First and foremost?  If you see torp planes, be proactive instead of reactive.  Turn into them before they drop, try to minimize your angle.  It doesn't always work, a decent CV player will see what you're doing and simply send the planes through one side, into the other, without dropping, and now that your rudder is committed into the turn to avoid the spread that's not coming, will drop on your other side.

Option 2 is to try to whittle them down before the drop.  It won't always work, and isn't always possible, but if you have a torp squad coming for you?  Turn and run.  Bismarck AA isn't horrible, (I run a fighter plane on mine as well for carriers) but by running away from the torp squad, making them chase you down, they stay in your AA bubble longer before they can drop and you have a better chance of shooting down one or two.  Sometimes 1 or 2 is all you need in order to open up a gap in the spread large enough for you to slip through.

Option 3, try running with a cruiser who's specced for AA, Kutuzov is a good example. 

CV's are tough though.  If a skilled CV is gunning for you and wants your BB dead, sadly, there's little to be done about it.

[-13-]
Members
33 posts
7,132 battles

If the CV driver is Femenennly, just say the Private Hicks line out loud "Game over man...Game over".....otherwise, the suggestions already posted are all you can really do.

[808]
Supertester
850 posts
4,860 battles
22 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Hi;

I mostly play a BB (usually Bismark) and I am not a great player.  I would appreciate any advice on how to avoid CV torpedoes.  It seems like the range they drop them at gives me little to to no time to move to evade.  I had one drop two bombs and a spread of torpedoes all at the same time.  Any counter measures would be appreciated.  Thanks.

One of the better things you can do is play some CVs yourself.  At least up to tier 6 so you can understand first hand what goes into a manual drop...then practice in training rooms or co-op if you don't feel like playing CVs in randoms.  This will help you understand the timing of a drop and when your in your BB you can more easily recognize and know when to turn.  The next thing that is often advised is to "dodge the planes, not the torps".  Meaning if you aren't reacting until you see the torps, it is already too late.  The other reason to dodge the planes not the torps is that where you see the torps is not where they were dropped.  They were actually dropped much further back but due to the arming indicators and time compression in the game it looks like they were dropped literally on top of you.  Manually target bombers as soon as you see them.  Change manually targeted bombers as needed depending which ones he/she actually flies to you.  This is important because you'll see the planes far off but by the time they get there you are really busy doing something and forget to target them.  And lastly consider...you are not going to be able to avoid all the shells in a well aimed shot from any other ship type in the game...the same holds true for a CV shooting at you.  Realize that in those circumstances the goal isn't necessarily to dodge all the torps/bombs, but as many as possible.

[ASHIP]
Members
586 posts
5,223 battles

The Bismarck has decent AA, which means that maximizing the time enemy aircraft spend in your AA bubble will help you substantially. If you see enemy torp bombers headed your way, I suggest turning away. This way they will have to spend more time catching up as you sail away. Additionally, it usually moves you further away from enemy ships, meaning that it is less likely that you get deleted by them if you massively expose your broadside while maneuvering.

If the enemy torp bombers are coming from the direction of an island it might also be possible to hug that island to achieve a similar effect. Torps need to get dropped in water and have a minimum arming distance, meaning that you can force the enemy bombers to fly over you to attack from the other side. Two or three plane kills can really neuter an attack.

Once the torpedo bombers actually drop it is essential that you turn in towards them. Light ships such as DDs and cruisers with good rudder shift (like the USN cruisers) might be able to get away with turning away, but if you try this with your fat, clunky Bismarck, you'll end up eating more torps than if you had simply continued sailing straight. (I've seen people eat torpedo spreads which were broader than their ship was long by doing this. As you might imagine, the results are not fun.) So yea, turn away. It will guarantee that you take a few torps, but it's better than any other options you have at this stage. Also, make sure to maintain your speed up until this point so that you can pull this move off. It's by far the most important.

Lastly, just beware of any CVs trying to fire/flood you. Basically, some of these gits (especially me) try to force BBs to use damage repair before coming in with more bombers/torpedoes so that we can collect on flooding/fire damage. Make sure you don't use damage repair prematurely, and try to get into AA cover before the next wave arrives.

Members
4,465 posts
6,203 battles

Do like me.  Take the punch and HOPE you survive. I suck at avoidance. I am the Chuck Webner of WG.....he was a boxer who fought Ali and got hit like 10,000 times but he but up a hell of a fight.  I saw it live in Cleveland years ago. "The Bayone Bleeder" .....Film "Rocky" was Stallone's inspiration for Rocky One based on that fight..  No kidding!  Spelling here could be off but older farts know of whom I am speaking of. I often just take the punch and pray.  Heh

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Best advice is get a CV and extrapolate how close a TB squadron needs to be to a target for Torps to activate. 

Depending on the aggressiveness of the CV they want to time perfectly Activation Time - Distance to Target = 0

If you feel they're going to Torp you that aggressively Always turn towards them. If you're presenting your ship to a Torpedo Run hope they're to attempt "perfect drop timing"

Going back to picking up a CV to measure Activation Distance; AFAIK the Point of No Return for TBs is a set distance that doesn't change across Tiers... possibly nations, but it's been a long while since I've played a lot of CV. But I don't remember the PNR circle (white dashed line) doesn't change between tiers. So once figured out you should know the distance required for  "perfect drop" and how close the TBs need to be to "turn in" to negate a good majority of the TBs that live through your AA. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,671 posts
8,069 battles

If the CV is skilled you will not evade all torps. But what you can do is force him to spend time in your AA and shred his plane while you're alive . On the long run it will greatly help your CV 

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[RIPQP]
Members
435 posts
12,312 battles

You know what happens when a battleship turns in to the torp bombers?

They just reposition while it bleeds off speed in the turn making it an even easier target.

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
599 posts
5,041 battles
7 minutes ago, grumpymunky said:

You know what happens when a battleship turns in to the torp bombers?

They just reposition while it bleeds off speed in the turn making it an even easier target.

Repositioning also means those planes are spending more time in your AA bubble.

As someone who plays CVs regularly my advice is to avoid the planes rather than avoid the torps. Watch to see what's approaching you in the minimap. If you're being surprised by torps in the water next to you, it means you've ignored the planes on the minimap that have been inbound to your location for the last 45 seconds.

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,237 battles

If you don't know, OP, you can manually select plane squadrons to focus by holding down CTRL and clicking on the squadron. This increases the DPS by about 30%. Other than that, it depends on the CV player. If you can turn in quickly enough to surprise the CV, the torpedoes might not arm in time. If you manuever and make yourself unnapealing, you increase the time it takes to drop you and might shoot down more planes.

Best advice, though, is to stick together. Two or three ships combining AA will ruin any CVs day.

Members
3,415 posts
6,084 battles

Also understand - unless you are getting double/triple torped - there is little chance they will sink you and you can heal a good bit of the damage.  Just wait till you know you are in the clear for that wave before hitting Repair and Damage Control - then sail to a safer area and repair again.  In my encounters - most of the time if the planes are noticed early enough then you can decidedly mitigate the damage by taking a couple hits.  I find that even if double torped I can easily survive as long as I notice and evade right away.  A triple drop is almost impossible to not sink.  The only bombs you need to worry about are the AP bombs (on the Lexington I think). 

[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,137 battles

If the cv is good u is dead.

Best chance is look the minimap, if you see planes ask for help from your cv or a cruiser or even a DD with AA (gearing/grozovoi as exemple) Always turn to in the torps.

• Bad 1

[KNTAI]
Members
1,788 posts
7,379 battles

I like to sail in a straight line at maximum speed and when the torps drop (or just before) I cut my engines and go full reverse while turning into the TBs.

Sign in to follow this