You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Komrade_Rylo

What's your comfort ship.

153 comments in this topic

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,946 posts
11,413 battles
4 hours ago, this_might_be_slak__ said:

Generally, I mean off the top of my [edited]... I look at WarToday, if not(ranked really) I look at ShipComrad. Please NC tell me how I'm wrong  the question is loaded. Aether does or doesn't play with elite players?

Aether has played 70% of his games solo. I don't think he's playing with these "elite players"

Members
564 posts
630 battles
16 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Aether has played 70% of his games solo. I don't think he's playing with these "elite players"

And he is very, very good. No argument here about his talent in this game. Pretty sure I have made that clear....

Edits...

In fact that is kinda my point, Aether is allowed to be an [edited] so that some of you can div with him and he can win you games....

Lol, so NC what's your wr without Aether?

Edited by this_might_be_slak__

[EGIRL]
[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,822 battles
2 hours ago, this_might_be_slak__ said:

And he is very, very good. No argument here about his talent in this game. Pretty sure I have made that clear....

Edits...

In fact that is kinda my point, Aether is allowed to be an [edited] so that some of you can div with him and he can win you games....

Let me stop you right there. 

Players have to *already* be proficient to join one of OPG's Clans in the first place. Contrary to popular belief, simply placing 3 players in a division does not guarantee success. Just as alchemy cannot turn lead into gold, a weaker player does not become a strong player overnight just by playing in a division. There is no doubt that 2 or 3 skilled players in a division creates a force multiplier in which the whole *can* be greater than the sum of its parts, however, you have to have something to work with to begin with. 

OPG is about taking a player's strengths and teaching them to strengthen them; taking a player's weaknesses and teaching them to overcome them. We recognize talent when we see it. Many of our players have high SOLO W/Rs that get our attention in the first place. We take those that show personal aptitude, dedication, and want-to and polish them into a fine fighting force. 

Aether needs to get gud, though. He gets carried on the reg! @aether_tech    (I kid, I kid. I've had the pleasure of playing with him personally and he can hold his own just fine.)

• Boring 1

[EGIRL]
[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,822 battles

My comfort ship: 

b429889cfcb80b908d3c19daf6ab945c.png

Yes, I do feel dirty when I play it.

Low tier cruisers *pop* quite nicely. 

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,726 posts
5,304 battles
6 hours ago, BunnyHerd said:

It's interesting that so many of you div WR padders don't even register among top players by WTR, let alone top solo players ...

Because those top WTR players are mostly after WTR farming  - which mostly means damage farming. Which does often lend itself to winning games. But I focus purely on doing what it takes to win the game - shooting the correct ships, hiding so I can cap, sometimes even smoking a random teammate if i have to. I'd be a top WTR player if i focused on damage too - and if the game didn't crapon me with bad RNG.

6 hours ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Yea, my normal group of div friends are all 30% w/r OPGS members. What elite players?!  :P

I still play a lot of solo games as I do with divs of my clan mates. but  yea, I do play with Elite players. But I also play with myself (heu heu heu.)  Not as many as before I joined OPG. But I'm bored of playing solo. It's not as fun as playing with people that I can talk to while kicking butt.   

5 hours ago, this_might_be_slak__ said:

Edits...

When and where was I an [edited] - other than to people who specifically call me out?

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,889 posts
5,527 battles

Yubari until I retired it out of fear of messing up my stats in her :(

Spee if I'm just not doing well in my other cruisers of the night.  Don't know what it is about Spee, I'm just consistently comfortable with it

xYuIYgZ.jpg

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,726 posts
5,304 battles
4 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

Yubari until I retired it out of fear of messing up my stats in her :(

Spee if I'm just not doing well in my other cruisers of the night. Don't know what it is about Spee, I'm just consistently comfortable with it

xYuIYgZ.jpg

I have no idea how you're making the Yubari do that much work, but kudos to you. I hate that ship (and the Spee).  Hilarious that the tier 4 > tier 6 for damage numbers. 

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,889 posts
5,527 battles
11 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

I have no idea how you're making the Yubari do that much work, but kudos to you. I hate that ship (and the Spee).  Hilarious that the tier 4 > tier 6 for damage numbers. 

In my cruiser career I've learned a certain set of skills.  Skills that have served me well and have allowed me to do half way decent over the course of my games.  And that skill?

Play like a chicken.  That and some luck have served me very well lol

Edited by vonKaiser

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,946 posts
11,413 battles
31 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

Yea, my normal group of div friends are all 30% w/r OPGS members. What elite players?!  :P.  

You know what I meant. I meant you weren't being carrier by 1337 players to where you are. I wonder if he's actually being serious bc he does this stuff quite often

Members
17 posts
183 battles
2 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

In my cruiser career I've learned a certain set of skills.  Skills that have served me well and have allowed me to do half way decent over the course of my games.  And that skill?

Play like a chicken.  That and some luck have served me very well lol.

chickens can be exceedingly stupid, and occasionally run right under the hooves of large critters. I am assuming you are referring to the cowardly connotation of the term.

and that, yeah. if you get sunk the 1st 10 min of a match, it is not going to end well. then, if you get all fired up and aggro because you're in late game vs some damaged ships, and get spotted, it's not going to end well. if 'the team depends on you" and you are spotted, it will not end well. oh, yeah, fire is your friend, and that's a slow game to play, so you have to get those fires started early so they can work their magic. if you get spotted while you are doing that, it will not end well. take the time to respond to the battle chat, which will not be kind regarding your chicken play, it will not end well.

I once watched a chicken run under a truck to hide from a dog. the dog was running around the truck, and the chicken was looking pretty safe under there. then, the foreman started the truck up, and drove away. the chicken got a wing, or neck or something caught in the driveshaft. huh. the dog did not catch the chicken, but the chicken's WTR wasn't that good.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,726 posts
5,304 battles
19 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

In my cruiser career I've learned a certain set of skills. Skills that have served me well and have allowed me to do half way decent over the course of my games. And that skill?

Play like a chicken. That and some luck have served me very well lol

Playing smarter, not harder :D

Well done. I may need to try it again....

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,889 posts
5,527 battles
53 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

Playing smarter, not harder :D

Well done. I may need to try it again....

I've got a few replays of her on my channel.  I don't want to spam this thread linking them so if you'd like to see'em send me a message and I'll give the direct links to you lol.  She's not a bad ship.  It's just the fragility that makes her difficult.  Island abuse is a must when the opportunity presents itself and making yourself an un-appetizing target versus someone else will get you pretty far with her.  Guns are low in number but she does some surprising damage if you can get an IFHE captain into it.  (Game above I think I was running IFHE, not 100% sure) and they're exceedingly accurate with that accuracy upgrade available to her.  Enemy carrier on the field?  Run AA protection for the big guns on your team when you can, take your targets of opportunity when they are available and keep yourself twisting and turning whenever you think some enemy guns are pointing your way.  Torpedo ambushes on the islands are a good damage method as well.  Torp arcs are abysmal on the ship, but they hit hard, travel fast and have some very good range and reload.   

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

The USS Indianapolis.

Last night I played solo. Ended up with 130k damage, 13 cits (deleted a Pensacola and Omaha), and basically won us the game. I have 2400 base XP to prove it too.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,797 posts
7,767 battles

If I need an easy ship, it's either Cesare or Budyonny. If I want fun, Zao or Hindenburg.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,071 posts
12,769 battles

Izyaslav. Just the best little thing. Has anyone else said Izzy yet? Can't imagine whay it's not EVERYONE'S comfort ship.

Tashkent, too. I may not win as often as I'd like, but I've become unsinkable lately and am starting to reliably put up solid damage. Just a joy to play.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,071 posts
12,769 battles

Izyaslav. Just the best little thing. Has anyone else said Izzy yet? Can't imagine whay it's not EVERYONE'S comfort ship.

Tashkent, too. I may not win as often as I'd like, but I've become unsinkable lately and am starting to reliably put up solid damage. Just a joy to play.