You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tronchaser

Nelson - Worth it?

37 comments in this topic

Members
90 posts
2,458 battles

So, I've got right around 375k Free XP. Doesn't look like I'm going to have enough for the Mizzou before that goes away.  Is the Nelson worth getting @ 375k FreeXp?

Or should I keep going for the Musashi.  I'm a balanced player who likes DD's, Cruisers and BB's... so I'm a crossroads of what to get/not get here.

Thanks!

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,715 posts
4,493 battles

Better idea: get a tier ten with premium camo.

Top tier and prem credit potential. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles

Nelson is great and outperforming nearly everything in tier. Musashi is going to be there for a while yet. Read the review on Nelson and Musashi and decide for yourself.

• Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,184 battles

Both for sure. Pick up Nelson, a real fire breathing Dragon, then continue on and get Musashi.

Members
90 posts
2,458 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Better idea: get a tier ten with premium camo.

Top tier and prem credit potential. 

I'm sitting @ Tier 8 for the US in DD's, CA's, and BB's..... so I could get to Tier 10 fairly easily.  Thanks for the input!

Members
90 posts
2,458 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nelson is great and outperforming nearly everything in tier. Musashi is going to be there for a while yet. Read the review on Nelson and Musashi and decide for yourself.

I've read both ( I always do!)..... sadly, I want both. :Smile-_tongue:

[WUDPS]
4,715 posts
4,493 battles
4 minutes ago, Tronchaser said:

I'm sitting @ Tier 8 for the US in DD's, CA's, and BB's..... so I could get to Tier 10 fairly easily.  Thanks for the input!

Here is the thing, and this is the MAJOR pitfall I have discovered: it's good to be ontop. The ships you've mentioned can get out tiered, and when you're out-tiered you can get screwed. I'd rather grind out the tier X and then get the prem camo and enjoy being top dog.

I made more money playing in my Hindy than I did in ANY premium ship. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles
5 minutes ago, Tronchaser said:

I've read both ( I always do!)..... sadly, I want both. :Smile-_tongue:

I have both. Both are easy grabs when I want to play at tier.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles

Have the Missouri and the Nelson ( along with just about every other B.B.).  I really enjoy the Nelson, play it nightly.  Would recommend 

Members
90 posts
2,458 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

Here is the thing, and this is the MAJOR pitfall I have discovered: it's good to be ontop. The ships you've mentioned can get out tiered, and when you're out-tiered you can get screwed. I'd rather grind out the tier X and then get the prem camo and enjoy being top dog.

I made more money playing in my Hindy than I did in ANY premium ship. 

Good point, Dr. Venture.  Will consider. Thanks.

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,296 battles

Maaaaaaan I want the Nelson so bad lol. I just have no self control. I get a new ship, can't handle having the crappy hulls/weapons and no upgrades so I free XP through that part every time.

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles
9 minutes ago, Tronchaser said:

So, I've got right around 375k Free XP. Doesn't look like I'm going to have enough for the Mizzou before that goes away.  Is the Nelson worth getting @ 375k FreeXp?

Or should I keep going for the Musashi.  I'm a balanced player who likes DD's, Cruisers and BB's... so I'm a crossroads of what to get/not get here.

Thanks!

Tough call, if someone were to ask me is the Musashi twice as fun as the Nelson I would have to say no. Does if farm twice as much credits or xp? doubtful. 

I don't think you can lose either way but I would advise you to play RN BB's and see if you like the HE flamethrowing style before going with the Nelson. I will say that I believe you can farm more flags with the Nelson like witherer, arsonist, dreadnaught, High caliber, confederate.......with the Nelson as MM is generous at time at tier 7 but that's just my .02

Members
90 posts
2,458 battles
4 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Tough call, if someone were to ask me is the Musashi twice as fun as the Nelson I would have to say no. Does if farm twice as much credits or xp? doubtful. 

I don't think you can lose either way but I would advise you to play RN BB's and see if you like the HE flamethrowing style before going with the Nelson. I will say that I believe you can farm more flags with the Nelson like witherer, arsonist, dreadnaught, High caliber, confederate.......with the Nelson as MM is generous at time at tier 7 but that's just my .02

Thanks for the advice.  I have several of the UK BB's, including the DoY from the campaign. Although I haven't played them a ton, I don't have a problem with them at all.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Has there been an announcement regarding the continued availability of the Nelson?  I know MO is going away shortly and am hoping WG will give us plenty of notice regarding Nelson, but I've been caught napping before and don't want to miss out.

[C-HAG]
Members
481 posts
7,690 battles

Nelson is a great ship but with one fatal flaw: it gets citadeled very easily. Avoid giving broadside is a MUST, and you can even get citadeled from your bow because 380+mm gun can overmatch it. Angling is very tricky in this ship.  

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I have almost enough for nelson as well and probably will pick it up since I already have both missou/mushi. no other fxp bote in the pipeline

[BROOK]
1,980 posts

If you have to ask about if getting the Nelson is worth it, then you don't know the Nelson very well. (That's a yes by the way. :cap_like:)

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,175 posts
10,410 battles

Nelson is fun.  Breaths Fire and has 16 inch AP that can rip into anything.  Unlike the Izumo, all the guns rotate the same way.

Edited by gcangel82

[AR15]
Members
393 posts
2,779 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I have both. Both are easy grabs when I want to play at tier.

nothing is an easy grab for you Lert, you're a cat you dont have opposable thumbs silly.

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles
39 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

Nelson is a great ship but with one fatal flaw: it gets citadeled very easily. Avoid giving broadside is a MUST, and you can even get citadeled from your bow because 380+mm gun can overmatch it. Angling is very tricky in this ship.  

That and turning about as well as a pulp barge in the Strait of Juan de Fuca...

She's a fine ship. Her unique layout and history made it inevitable I would get her.

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,160 battles

Got mine a few weeks back. Do OK in her now that I know the tricks. Having experience in Dunkerque was a huge help, the biggest difference between them being speed and turn rate. Stay at optimum range with her, because she is not well suited to brawling despite those 16-inch rifles with decent AP and lewd HE. DDs cannot ignore her secondaries either. As an RN fan (got'em all except Conqueror, which is next up) I decided that grinding hard for another month or so for Missouri was out of the question as I would have had a problem getting to the 750K free XP from where i was when her withdrawl was announced and am not prepared to spend money on doubloons (which never go on sale BTW) to free up ship XP (which I have oodles of like most players)to get her. Too expensive for this retired guy's gaming budget, rather keep my money and buy the new Ferrari (Roma!)to keep my Giulio Cesare Company. To quote Johnny Cash ''Its' cheaper that way''.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,476 posts
1,521 battles

I really love the Nelson and are Lert mentioned above, it is easily outperforming every other Tier 7 BB in the game right now.  My only cautionary note is she doesn't play like anything else in the game except maybe the Dunkerque (Izumo is kind of similar but not quite the same) and due to this fact, some people aren't going to get the feel for the ship and will likely hate it.   She also has a massive and vulnerable Citadel so if you give broadside you will be punished harshly.  This means the Nelson requires you to be very good at positional warfare to get the best out of it.  However if you think you can get the knack for it, I highly, highly recommend it. 

Also just a side FYI sort of thing.  I have the Musashi too and if I had no other concerns except having fun, I would hands down pick the Nelson over the Musashi.

Members
6,619 posts
25,230 battles

Nelson? Yes indeed!

Great and fun ship.

I have Musashi. If I had to pick., Nelson hands down!

Edited by alexf24