You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Obvious65

Is Yubari worth it?

56 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
362 battles

I've been considering buying 1st premium. (I have the Diana and Texas from an invite.) I don't have much I can spend at the moment. Things are a bit tight right now. Since I am mainly working the Japanese cruiser line, Is the Yubari a good pick? The wiki lists it as mediocre. But I noted that that entry has not been updated in a while. 

If it is not, I'll wait until I more dough and get the Atago.

Thanks for any help! 

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Not worth the money IMO.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
583 posts
9,238 battles

I'd save the cash for Atago.  Yubari can be quite unforgiving, even to experienced players.  When you can be citadel'd by secondary fire, yeah.:Smile_hiding:

That being said, I really like Yubari personally.  She's quite fun when you use her correctly.:Smile_playing:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
579 posts
4,556 battles

Id save for the Atago. The Yubari is a niche DFAA IJN Cruiser at T4. She is fun to play but the rest of the IJN line plays very differently from her.

Though you can get loll's from the Yubari by earning the close quarter expert bade with her 1 secondary gun!

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
19 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious65 said:

I've been considering buying 1st premium. (I have the Diana and Texas from an invite.) I don't have much I can spend at the moment. Things are a bit tight right now. Since I am mainly working the Japanese cruiser line, Is the Yubari a good pick? The wiki lists it as mediocre. But I noted that that entry has not been updated in a while. 

Thanks for any help! 

Yuubari is great ship but very unforgiving of mistakes, you screw up with her and you will regret it. Save up for Atago, she is a great moneymaker and much more forgiving premium ship especially if you only have a few hundred battles under your belt (not saying you are bad just not quite ready for an unforgiving ship like Yuubari). However if you want more information on the two of them check out theses reviews by @LittleWhiteMouse she does these for all the premium ships available and if you want to know how a premium ship behaves she is one of the best to look at.

Here is her whole thread where you can find them;

Here is Yuubari specifically;

And Atago;

When in doubt check with the Mouse and her constant companion the forum cat @Lert.

HAvRgUA.png

(Yah shameless plug but couldn't help it).

Members
3,635 posts
13,469 battles

I like Yubari and do pretty good and have fun with her. Her DD like maneuverability, laser accurate guns, and low detectability are sweet. Her AA is very good for a tier 4 ship. My only complaints about Yubari is the very narrow torpedo arc and no hydro.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I absolutely love my Yubari!!!  I only have 258 total battles but this thing is fun fun fun. 

I achieved my best result this morning so far in it:

204,983 silver

81,233 damage

8 citadel hits

4 frags

1440 XP

it is a cardboard box with laser cannons seen on it!!

oops...that game was in the Phoenix...I had a 62k damage game in the Yubari

Edited by BullpupWOT

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

I also enjoy playing the Yubari and I wouldn't say she is mediocre, just very challenging to play compared to other cruisers at T4.  If you learn to handle the ship correctly she can be a great load of fun.  However if you're looking for a IJN premium cruiser you will have to wait for the Atago at T8, and that's a long wait.  If you want to have a premium cruiser at T4/T5 range and it doesn't have to be IJN consider the Murmansk in the Russian tech tree (if still available).

[POP]
Members
840 posts
9,480 battles

I would say the Atago is too high tier if you are just starting.

I recommend a mid tier premium for a ship line you are looking forward to grinding.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,109 posts
18,633 battles

For serious gameplay? nope, never, nada, njet. Only if you want a fun ship and don't have to care about the Yen.

[DACO]
Members
174 posts
9,272 battles
22 minutes ago, surratus said:

I also enjoy playing the Yubari and I wouldn't say she is mediocre, just very challenging to play compared to other cruisers at T4.  If you learn to handle the ship correctly she can be a great load of fun.  However if you're looking for a IJN premium cruiser you will have to wait for the Atago at T8, and that's a long wait.  If you want to have a premium cruiser at T4/T5 range and it doesn't have to be IJN consider the Murmansk in the Russian tech tree (if still available).

You know I haven't seen the Murmansk in a bit but she was my first premium and loads of fun.  She was part of the Russian lend/lease program from WW2 and is basically an Omaha.  Guns 360 degrees and veryyyy decent ranged torps.  Her AA sucks but if you want to earn some credits and light some fires, she's a keeper.  I still have her so I think I'll take her for a spin, thank you!!!

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,069 battles

Not a big fan of the Yub, but if you are looking for a captain trainer to pair with your tech tree climb up the IJN line, a cost effective option.  If you are looking just for a fun 1st premium that you want to keep in cruisers, earn and learn, would suggest jumping to tier 6, lots of good competitive ships.  Spee is great fun, easy to drive with heal, big guns that can shoot effective HE and AP, good torps with good arcs.   If not Graf Spee, then the Degrasse or the Molotov. 

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,323 battles

Yubari is an excellent ship and fun to play. That said I would not recommend it for what you want.

Yubari is hard to handle as it can be cit easily and torpedo arcs are abismal. Yubari is for experienced players only IMO.

Also, if you want a premium money maker, then you have to look at higher tiers. T4 doesn't pay enough.

[WOLF4]
Members
78 posts
4,462 battles
2 minutes ago, _ECSO_Sgt_088 said:

You know I haven't seen the Murmansk in a bit but she was my first premium and loads of fun.  She was part of the Russian lend/lease program from WW2 and is basically an Omaha.  Guns 360 degrees and veryyyy decent ranged torps.  Her AA sucks but if you want to earn some credits and light some fires, she's a keeper.  I still have her so I think I'll take her for a spin, thank you!!!

I'll second everything this guy says.  My first premium as well.  Fun to play, and great ship for practice the wiggling and evasion of fire you need as you go up the tiers. Being bottom tier will take getting used to as a newer player, and you'll probably want to get IFHE as soon as you can, but I think she's still competitive as a bottom tier ship.

[56TH]
Members
265 posts

I have the worst luck in that ship...

every time I play it something crazy happens to me.

I broke her out for the first time in a while the other night and was getting ready to a torp run on a BB being all sneaky and proud of myself. Then some friendly DD pops out of no where, types in "LOL BOOM BOOM" and tks me with a full broadside of torps. :cap_viking:

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,069 battles
9 minutes ago, Paulbearer82 said:

I'll second everything this guy says.  My first premium as well.  Fun to play, and great ship for practice the wiggling and evasion of fire you need as you go up the tiers. Being bottom tier will take getting used to as a newer player, and you'll probably want to get IFHE as soon as you can, but I think she's still competitive as a bottom tier ship.

Tier 5 is a bit of a mess, not sure taking a protected cruiser against tier 7 ships is a good learning experience - I have both Murm and Marblehead- and they are not fun right now. Jump up one tier, 6 is still pretty good and much more capable and forgiving ships.  An Atago Too much of a jump and you will be fodder for tier 9 and 10 ships as a newbe 

Edited by Panzer1113

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles

If you have loads of doubloons... its kinda fun. But you will get tired of it quick, best to save up for a better premium.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,799 posts
18,743 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Obvious65 said:

Thanks for any help! 

I gifted you the ship Yubari plus two other Items good luck and enjoy.............Note you must log in to except your gift from the store or go straight to your E-mail in order to except them   again good luck have fun......

• Cool 16

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts

Thanks for any help! 

Unequivocally no. If you want a Japanese cruiser get an Atago.

[SIMP]
Members
991 posts
5 minutes ago, Eric_Von_Hess said:

I gifted you the ship Yubari plus two other Items good luck and enjoy.............Note you must log in to except your gift from the store or go straight to your E-mail in order to except them   again good luck have fun......

+1 (cool rating) to you sir for your unselfish kindness to another.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
840 posts
9,480 battles
6 minutes ago, Eric_Von_Hess said:

Your kindness is only exceeded by your generosity sir!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
955 posts
3,281 battles
8 minutes ago, Eric_Von_Hess said:

You have given the greatest gift of all. The gift of detonations. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

Members
2,457 posts
12,205 battles

Thanks for any help! 

It really isn't. Assuming your battle count.... just keep grinding tech tree ships or even better put that money towards premium time as premium time awards you perks on every ship you play... You will tire of tier 4 play quickly...once you experience higher tier play you may never play it again. As for the Atago, the sexiest girl in the game.......worth every penny win or lose...great ship.