You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenennigans

Premium Prices

9 comments in this topic

[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,298 battles

So this isn't me just complaining that the ships are too expensive. I am genuinely under the impression they would make a lot more money overall if the ships were like... half the price they are now. I know I'm not the only one who looked at the premium shop and said "Well then, non-premium ships it is". I bought the Sims, and periodically pick up some premium account time because I do like the game and want to support devs of games I like. Even the base (no captain/camos/etc) version of ships costs more than whole AAA titles though. I quit buying AAA titles because the cost/time played ratio was too out of wack to justify it. Most of the time, you can get extremely comparable ships just from the grind too! There are only a few "overpowered" premiums out there. I just think there's probably a lot of us who would flesh out their premium ship collection quite a lot if the prices were more reasonable. I'm not complaining too much though, it could go the route of WoT where you lose money if you don't top the XP boards in every game (which is why I no longer play WoT).

[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles
13 minutes ago, Shenennigans said:

I am genuinely under the impression they would make a lot more money overall if the ships were like... half the price they are now.

Seven years of WG monetizing strongly suggests otherwise. Plus, I'm sure they have actually trained personnel, market research data etc etc backing up their monetizing.

• Cool 2

[EREKT]
Members
760 posts
5,773 battles

For the amount of money wargaming takes in on this game, I'd expect alot more content/more employees working on the game. I think it's helping to keep warplanes in the black honestly.

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles

General trend in F2P games is that .5% of players generates about 50% of total revenue. Expand that to 1% of players generating 70+%. About 96% - 98% of players never spend any money. Obviously WG has their own data, and I believe WG games have much higher rates of playing players, but the curve should have a similar shape

Edited by Dodgy_Cookies

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
98 posts
11,891 battles

On the subject of half-price ships, I have noticed doubloon-purchasable premium ships in the Tech Tree view occasionally selling for half-price.  Does anyone know what triggers that and how often it happens?

Thanks to Santa Boxes and WoWs' Christmas gifts to players who seldom play PvP, I have doubloons to spend carefully.

Edited by Daffyd9x

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,284 battles

I agree, I think the premium ships are too expensive.

Having said that, I have paid for 13 of them directly, although a few of those were bought with doubloons obtained mostly via Santa crates.  I paid for another 9 through Santa crates.

The most expensive ship I paid money out of pocket for was Tirpitz.  $ouch$.  Scharnhorst, Kutuzov and Belfast were pricey, too.

I'm okay with the pricing of ships T5 and below, but above that and I could buy an entire game for a gaming console for the price of a T6+ premium ship.  One darned ship.  Most of these ships don't change the gaming experience that much.  $40+ just seems like too much for one piece of content.  Expansion packs for console games don't cost that much, and you get a lot more for the money.

Obviously WG is making enough money, so there must be plenty of buyers.  Financially I can do it, but I have a hard time justifying it most of the time.  I would love to have bought Kidd, HSF Harekaze, Atlanta, and several others, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the money out of the wallet.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,284 battles
2 minutes ago, Daffyd9x said:

On the subject of half-price ships, I have noticed doubloon-purchasable premium ships in the Tech Tree view occasionally selling for half-price.  Does anyone know if what triggers that and how often that happens?

Thanks to Santa Boxes and WoWs' Christmas gifts to players that seldom play PvP, I have doubloons to spend carefully.

The Christmas event this year brought wide-spread, deep discounts on premiums in the tech tree.  There were also a lot of ships made available via the tech tree.  It was quite the sale, actually!

Other sales for tech tree premiums will be announced for special events, but they aren't that common.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,524 battles

As others have pointed out, the "whale or bust" pricing curve reflects many years of data on consumer behavior in F2P/Freemium games.

In terms of perspective, I'm also led to believe that a single premium ship in WoWS also ends up costing about the same amount as a decent physical model kit? So maybe there's not so much sticker shock for some folks in this community. I can't verify this, though, I'm not a model-builder.