You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

I am NOT a battleship player.

32 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,724 posts
4,523 battles

In my quest to bring up my number of tier X games played, and winrate to make it into OPG3, I began to grind my tier X's with a high number of battles.

In my Hindenburg, I found this to be very easy. The Hindy performs the way I want it to, it's fast...responsive...easy to adapt to many situations....100K damage games are not uncommon and I'm bringing that number up.

Then we have this bastard:

Untitled.thumb.png.f15f132bbf51c257c05df8a7111ad418.png

48 battles have taught me one specific thing: I am not a battleship player

I have come to conclude that the meta has evolved to the point where brawling is not an option anymore.

48 battles have seen an obnoxious amount of destroyers, specifically 10 DD's in a game. In fact I was torp'd and killed by friendly destroyers quite often when they themselves got into the mix. The nurf to German secondaries has also made my build practically worthless. The number of fires I set are far too low, and frankly destroyers can and do know they can yolo up and send out the wall of skill with very little threat from my secondary battery. 

Now I could be wrong, I could infact be a total ****er in this ship. Yet the games I keep having with it, the poor accuracy coupled with the unused secondaries and over abundance of DD's has made my experience in this ship...a poor one. 

Maybe I should dump the secondary build and go for long range accuracy, but then you remove the ships strengths. 

What I'm probably going to do: do two more games, and then buy prem camo for with my Zao or Minotaur and just go from there. I see why the Battleship was made obsolete and the GK is the ultimate example. 

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,758 battles

It wasn’t surface ships that made the BB obsolete, it was the CV. This game is another story; things behave very differently from what they do in real life.

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
Just now, Dr_Venture said:

Maybe I should dump the secondary build and go for long range accuracy, but then you remove the ships strengths. 

Many people recommend that. Keep the MFCS, trade other secondary skills/upgrades for survival and main gun accuracy.

The secondaries will still work better than anyone else's if you inadvertantly end up in a brawl, or DDs get close, and your mid-range gunnery will be more comfortable.

I don't have much experience, but from what I have seen, actively trying to brawl just gets you focussed and sunk.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
8 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

In my Hindenburg, I found this to be very easy. The Hindy performs the way I want it to, it's fast...responsive...easy to adapt to many situations....

it's fast...responsive...easy to adapt to many situations....

fast...responsive

fast...responsive

you serious? while i do enjoy hind, it's slow AF and handles like a rickshaw stuck in mud!

(it's the slowest TX cruiser i believe, correct me if im wrong)

as for GK, from what i heard the most important thing about GK is knowing when to push

too early or too late you just die without doing anything, but a well timed push will be nightmare for anyone in your way

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,829 battles
7 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

In my quest to bring up my number of tier X games played, and winrate to make it into OPG3, I began to grind my tier X's with a high number of battles.

In my Hindenburg, I found this to be very easy. The Hindy performs the way I want it to, it's fast...responsive...easy to adapt to many situations....100K damage games are not uncommon and I'm bringing that number up.

I have come to conclude that the meta has evolved to the point where brawling is not an option anymore.

48 battles have seen an obnoxious amount of destroyers, specifically 10 DD's in a game. In fact I was torp'd and killed by friendly destroyers quite often when they themselves got into the mix. The nurf to German secondaries has also made my build practically worthless. The number of fires I set are far too low, and frankly destroyers can and do know they can yolo up and send out the wall of skill with very little threat from my secondary battery. 

Now I could be wrong, I could infact be a total ****er in this ship. Yet the games I keep having with it, the poor accuracy coupled with the unused secondaries and over abundance of DD's has made my experience in this ship...a poor one. 

What I'm probably going to do: do two more games, and then buy prem camo for with my Zao or Minotaur and just go from there. I see why the Battleship was made obsolete and the GK is the ultimate example. 

You could always go with a semi secondary build.

run AFT and Concealment or AFT and  Manual secondaries if you can handle always being seen. 

run dispersion module instead of secondary mod.

still have like 10.2 range  with flag.

But by taking the reduced dispersion mod your guns get a little more bite to them.

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,523 battles
4 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

you serious? while i do enjoy hind, it's slow AF and handles like a rickshaw stuck in mud!

(it's the slowest TX cruiser i believe, correct me if im wrong)

as for GK, from what i heard the most important thing about GK is knowing when to push

too early or too late you just die without doing anything, but a well timed push will be nightmare for anyone in your way

Quite actually, I do steller in the Hindy...she handles just the way I want to. 

The GK I gathered was VERY dependent on knowing when to push, the issue is with the DD heavy meta that a good portion of the time doesn't happen. Either all of the friendly DD's tank or flat out ditch me, or b they fail completely to account for a DD and I get smashed by the dreaded "wall of skill." 

I feel like buffing the main battery is pointless, Germans have very-bad-dispersion. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,757 battles
11 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

It wasn’t surface ships that made the BB obsolete, it was the CV. This game is another story; things behave very differently from what they do in real life.

To be honest that is only partially true, while CV and aircraft played major role in making BBs obsolete, it was also the various types of new missiles, Torpedoes , and guided bombs as well. Which WWII was the dawn of these technologies as well, you had V1 flying bomb ( the early cruise missiles that still have pretty much same configuration today), you had the Fritz-X guided Bomb, you had the V-2 ballistic Missile.

Some of today's Destroyers and Cruisers are starting rival some of the old BB sizes, but like BBS before them they are built to carry specific weapons systems and instead of carrying massive guns for bombardment they carry racks of various missiles.

And nice thing about this game is we get to experience the old Warship warfare in all in its glory before the agave of gun duels on the high seas came to an end. This game reminds me so much of the pre WWII strategies of you have the BBs supported by CAs and DDs, and CVs play auxiliary support role.

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,757 battles
25 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I stopped German BBs at Bismarck at least for the moment and keep good inventory of German BBs on hand from tier V to VIII. As well as a variety of BBs, CAs, CVs, and DDs from variety of nations. I am currently getting the last of the credits needed for Yamato to have my first X ship, really have enjoyed every ship in that line except for Izumo lol.

Also loving my Texas and Missouri so that line might get done in the future as well.

The point is I would definitely try a few other BB lines before declaring yourself worthless as a BB player. Game guides and YouTube videos can help.

Also the trick I have found to German BBs is have good Secondaries and get within about 16Km before opening up with main guns.

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,523 battles
24 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Also the trick I have found to German BBs is have good Secondaries and get within about 16Km before opening up with main guns.

That doesn't work at tier X sadly, you get spotted from space. 

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,230 battles

The other thing you could try is going back to the 406mm guns from the 420's.  I assume you are running with the 420's currently.  While I prefer the 420's on the GK, I went back to the 406's on the FDG, as it just made that ship seem to perform better for me.  I know they reload faster, and I don't think there is any kind of a nerf to accuracy in doing so.  There may be an accuracy benefit, but I'm at work now, so I can't confirm that.  Just a suggestion.

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

What you need is a 19 point captain for gk. Mine has priority target, ar, demo, ce, aft, manual control for secondaries, and catapult fighter. 13.5km detection with 11.6km range on secondaries.

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,757 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Yeah so I had heard and that is why I have held off from going past tier VIII in that line since with my WOT Blitz experience I learned that you can have a good line, but X is not always the best pint in the line you can reach, sometimes tier VIII or IX is actually the true pinnacle of a tech tree line. And does not surprise me in the least if same can be said about some lines in WOWs.

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,523 battles
3 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

What you need is a 19 point captain for gk. Mine has priority target, ar, demo, ce, aft, manual control for secondaries, and catapult fighter. 13.5km detection with 11.6km range on secondaries.

Oh believe me I've got the 19 point captain. 

I went manual secondaries and fire suppression for my tier 4 skills. That thing attracts arson slingers like nobodies business. 

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,525 battles

Have you considered that maybe it's just the GK that doesn't suit you?

I'm not much of a BB player either, but I do better in the Monty than the GK. Heck, I do better in the Conq than the GK.

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,523 battles
5 minutes ago, sbcptnitro said:

Have you considered that maybe it's just the GK that doesn't suit you?

I'm not much of a BB player either, but I do better in the Monty than the GK. Heck, I do better in the Conq than the GK.

Distinct possibility, I may revisit battleships down the line with the Monty as I own it. I'll work on the Zao/Mino/Z52 and go from there. 

[FBI]
Members
135 posts
2,407 battles

mahaps the kufurst is not your style 

id post my stats but i dont know anyway i can

ANYWAYS the kurfew enforcer/London monitor is great ship, most unique battleship of his tier and very situational. DD's fear this ship thanks to the 6km hydro and 12km secondary's. the guns have great accuracy (put enough shells in the air and yer bound to hit something) i have a semi primary and secondary build on it, the 420's fire every 28 seconds for me and get massive citadels almost every volley and racking out 50 hits a match even more sometimes.

its all about timing in the ship, when to push when to pull back and what not. takes a little more thought then other ships to play 

if you can force other ships to brawl with you, its game over for them and dont worry bout raming, ive had a mighty mo ram me and i still came out on top.

Edit: i could offer to play with you and help you learn the ship. up to you man 

Edited by LordSiege

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
14 minutes ago, LordSiege said:

mahaps the kufurst is not your style 

id post my stats but i dont know anyway i can

ANYWAYS the kurfew enforcer/London monitor is great ship, most unique battleship of his tier and very situational. DD's fear this ship thanks to the 6km hydro and 12km secondary's. the guns have great accuracy (put enough shells in the air and yer bound to hit something) i have a semi primary and secondary build on it, the 420's fire every 28 seconds for me and get massive citadels almost every volley and racking out 50 hits a match even more sometimes.

its all about timing in the ship, when to push when to pull back and what not. takes a little more thought then other ships to play 

if you can force other ships to brawl with you, its game over for them and dont worry bout raming, ive had a mighty mo ram me and i still came out on top.

Edit: i could offer to play with you and help you learn the ship. up to you man 

I don't think dds fear a bb with 105k hp and only 25% torp reduction on the belt with the worst handling in game. I see it and go nom nom.

[PNP]
Members
4,314 posts
13,313 battles

You that desperate to get into OPG?  I mean most of them are probably stat padding rerolls,  who cares.    Some people just can't use some ship classes,  I can't use CVs.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,523 battles

Shameless plug to send a GK replay to @Lord_Zath to get feedback. He regularly has accomplished "mains" in various classes as guest commentators, and I'm sure he could get one for your replay if you request one!

For best results, I'd send one where you feel like something went wrong but you can't quite put your finger on it...

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

... the issue is with the DD heavy meta...

DD heavy meta in that game or over all? I hope we are just talking about that match, considering Destroyer is the 3rd most played ship type in game... behind like you know the other 2 types for surface combat.

Edited by Canadatron

Members
2,457 posts
12,175 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Keep your options open, our clan is always looking for drunks, complainers, excuse makers and solid C rate players. If you excel at each of these you may be considered. 

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,678 posts
15,175 battles

o/

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,523 battles
12 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Shameless plug to send a GK replay to @Lord_Zath to get feedback. He regularly has accomplished "mains" in various classes as guest commentators, and I'm sure he could get one for your replay if you request one!

For best results, I'd send one where you feel like something went wrong but you can't quite put your finger on it...

I'll keep a weathered eye out for one tonight when I play a few games tonight. 

• Cool 1

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
20 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

DD heavy meta in that game or over all? I hope we are just talking about that match, considering Destroyer is the 3rd most played ship type in game... behind like you know the other 2 types for surface combat.

Yamato is in the lead for most battles in the last 2 weeks, with shimmy following up behind in second place at t10

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
42 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Yamato is in the lead for most battles in the last 2 weeks, with shimmy following up behind in second place at t10

So are you saying DD is not in the number 3 spot for total high tier battles over the past week? What do those 2 ships have to really do with total plays for a particular ship? Interested in your line of thinking.