You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Airglide2

Which ship has the best vertical dispersion?

20 comments in this topic

[YORHA]
Members
3,247 posts

None of them.

Members
449 posts
12,210 battles

Think we are talking about the Nikolai.

If I remember correctly she has horizontal dispersion but not vertical.

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,092 battles

I believe that @LittleWhiteMouse commented that vertical dispersion is related to shell velocity, which makes sense when you consider the geometry involved.  Thus, ships with high shell velocity will have worse vertical dispersion, and ships with lower shell velocity will have better vertical dispersion.  Sigma does not determine dispersion, only where in the dispersion area the most shells fall, so a high sigma ship will not necessarily have good vertical dispersion.

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

Probably an American destroyer.

Low calibre guns, the arcs and velocity. That's my gut feeling on this.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,749 battles
28 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Probably an American destroyer.

Low calibre guns, the arcs and velocity. That's my gut feeling on this.

Maybe, but I found that shells that would have hit superstructure on flatter shooting guns arc right over it due to their mortar like trajectory.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles

Probably as useless as it would be, Mikasa. Those guns almost qualify as mortars.

[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,174 battles

Vertical dispersion is affected by shell velocity and mass.  Higher shell velocity at a given mass will cause a flatter trajectory which leads to a longer vertical dispersion (the shots will hit the water before the target and also farther behind the target) compared to a lower shell velocity, when viewed from the top down.  A shell with a higher mass will also follow a flatter trajectory than a lower mass at the same velocity.  If you look at the same shots from a side on perspective, not from top down, then some of the results are different.  The longer vertical dispersion of the increased mass or velocity will often pass through parts of the ship because the vertical height of the dispersion isn't as great.  That doesn't mean you get better shots.  Some of those shots might hit the upper superstructure for minimal damage if any, or bounce of the deck.  In close range shots, that tighter "height" might lead to more critical hits.  The reduced vertical dispersion of lower velocity shots might allow tighter top down hits, where you get better deck penetration at long range.  Those same shots might result in greater variation in height of mid range shots, so you might experience more superstructure hits in those ranges.  

I don't know if I explained it well, but the vertical dispersion is a strange beast and it affects where the sweet spot distance for accuracy is, because it is dependent on the combination of shell mass and velocity, and all the calculations that go with them.  Horizontal dispersion is easy.  It is just a spread of shells based on distance.

[TBW]
Members
6,328 posts
11,884 battles

DeGrase, gets lots of hits when firing at broadside targets Molotov too,

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,180 posts
2,029 battles

It's so dependent on range, it's not even possible to say a particular ship has the best vertical dispersion. Generally low-velocity guns like the American 16"/45 Mk.6 have very good vertical dispersion though, so they're probably a serious contender among battleships.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,055 posts
7,611 battles
3 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

@LittleWhiteMouse do you know? I'm thinking Warspite, Yuubari, Katori, Yamato, Iwaki, any ship with good sigma.

The best vertical dispersion in the game?  Sigma has nothing to do with vertical dispersion.  It's all down to muzzle velocity, drag and the range you're firing.  A better question would be, "which tier [inset number here] battleship has the smallest vertical dispersion at [inset range here]?" 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,522 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The best vertical dispersion in the game?  Sigma has nothing to do with vertical dispersion.  It's all down to muzzle velocity, drag and the range you're firing.  A better question would be, "which tier [inset number here] battleship has the smallest vertical dispersion at [inset range here]?" 

Looking forward to seeing @LittleWhiteMouse's guide to each ship's sweet spot range for tightest shell clustering.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,055 posts
7,611 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

Looking forward to seeing @LittleWhiteMouse's guide to each ship's sweet spot range for tightest shell clustering.

Don't tempt me.  I've been considering adding a 'have the dispersion of a battleship of your choice mapped at 10 or 15km" tier to my Patreon.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
9 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Fair enough. Thanks for the input LWM.

• Boring 1

Members
1,767 posts
8,068 battles
4 hours ago, Airglide2 said:

Which ship has the best vertical dispersion?

Not sure but there is a high probability that their shells are made of pure Stalinium.