Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

St. Louis to South Carolina

19 comments in this topic

Members
218 posts

Does the St. Louis give me that Battleship feel or play style of the South Carolina? I am not going past tier 4 for awhile so keep that in mind. Is it worth jumping across to get that feel, or does the St. Louis play mirror that of the tier 3 and 4 Battleships?

[CUTIE]
[CUTIE]
Members
168 posts
8,430 battles

Best way to put it is like this. StL handles like a battleship when it comes to how she drives, but not in how she shoots. StL is a machine gun and doesn't have the range. SC however has decent range but far fewer "guns" (the game fires an entire turret at once). Thankfully, SC doesn't suffer from the wonky turret placement issues that many low tier BBs have. 

Members
6,624 posts
25,266 battles

Not really. St. Louis is a porcupine. Very strong protected cruiser. Awesome guns and lots of it. Slow and short ranged but a monster to deal with.

SC is a slow, strong BB, but guns are unreliable (dispersion). Suffers from the slow speed of all the USN BBS till T8. Up to T7 (Colorado) they are all strong but have molasses speed.

I would say the line improves at every step, South Carolina being the worst of the bunch and not the best at its tier.

For low tiers, I prefer KM BBs. Stronger and more balanced, albeit with bad dispersion.

Low tier IJN BBs are mostly battle-cruisers. Faster and less armored. Excellent guns, esp. starting with Kongo.

Members
218 posts
19 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Not really. St. Louis is a porcupine. Very strong protected cruiser. Awesome guns and lots of it. Slow and short ranged but a monster to deal with.

SC is a slow, strong BB, but guns are unreliable (dispersion). Suffers from the slow speed of all the USN BBS till T8. Up to T7 (Colorado) they are all strong but have molasses speed.

I would say the line improves at every step, South Carolina being the worst of the bunch and not the best at its tier.

For low tiers, I prefer KM BBs. Stronger and more balanced, albeit with bad dispersion.

Low tier IJN BBs are mostly battle-cruisers. Faster and less armored. Excellent guns, esp. starting with Kongo.

What is KM?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,360 posts
10,138 battles
5 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

What is KM?

KM = Kriegsmarine

That is what the Germans called their Navy shortly before and through WW2. So people here use KM as an ID for German ships. Like how IJN = Imperial Japanese Navy and USN = United States Navy.

• Cool 1

Members
218 posts
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

KM = Kriegsmarine

That is what the Germans called their Navy shortly before and through WW2. So people here use KM as an ID for German ships. Like how IJN = Imperial Japanese Navy and USN = United States Navy.

Thank you

[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles

On 1/26/2018 at 8:02 AM, wildcat18 said:

What is KM?

On 1/26/2018 at 8:11 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

KM = Kriegsmarine

I would suggest in this case he means Kaiserliche Marine. 

[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles

Sure. But prior and during WW1 it wasn't the Kriegsmarine, but the Kaiserliche Marine. KM is correct either way, but the original post references German battleships in low and mid tiers, all of which belong to the Kaiserliche Marine rather than the Kriegsmarine.

Members
7 posts
70 battles
On 1/27/2018 at 3:03 PM, amaROenuZ said:

I would suggest in this case he means Kaiserliche Marine. 

On 1/26/2018 at 7:13 AM, wildcat18 said:

Thank you

amaRO German bb line has both Kaiserliche Marine ships and Kreigsmarine. BUT, the kaiserliche ships went by sms, not km

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,522 posts
3,514 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_BRUH said:

The USS SC is trash. It took one hit from my sampson torp and half its health gone

Pretty much every T3 battleship except the Konig Albert takes a lot of damage from torpedoes, whats your point? Seriously what a dumb post, I sank a near full HP Bismark with 1 torpedo from my Mahan a little while back thanks to a detonation, I guess the Bismark is trash going by your genius logic. Come back when you actually know what your talking about

Members
1,494 posts
7,377 battles

South Carolina is an okay BB. When angled, it's tall and thick belt will deflect a lot of incoming damage.  HE spam is your biggest problem.  All that soft plating everywhere and a small HP pool.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,755 battles

Yeah, unlike some of the BB lines, the South Carolina will more properly prepare you for higher tier USN battleships until the tier 8 North Carolina.  It has large caliber guns in turrets, better armor, and agonizing slow speed, everything you need.  Some people hate the SC, but in reality it's more because most players really didn't know how to sail a BB yet and assumed it was the ship and not incompetence on their part.  Once you learn the basics of battleship play, the SC becomes far easier to do well in.

Members
1 post
87 battles
On 1/26/2018 at 6:42 AM, wildcat18 said:

Does the St. Louis give me that Battleship feel or play style of the South Carolina? I am not going past tier 4 for awhile so keep that in mind. Is it worth jumping across to get that feel, or does the St. Louis play mirror that of the tier 3 and 4 Battleships?

For me st.louis is actually better 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,360 posts
10,138 battles
On 3/30/2018 at 11:54 PM, 56Bravo said:

Yeah, unlike some of the BB lines, the South Carolina will more properly prepare you for higher tier USN battleships until the tier 8 North Carolina.  It has large caliber guns in turrets, better armor, and agonizing slow speed, everything you need.  Some people hate the SC, but in reality it's more because most players really didn't know how to sail a BB yet and assumed it was the ship and not incompetence on their part.  Once you learn the basics of battleship play, the SC becomes far easier to do well in.

This ^^^. When I was new to WOWS getting through SC was a major pain and chore. Not because the ship was bad but because I was new and had no clue what I was doing. I have all the T10 BB's now and thousands of games under my belt now.

I have started buying back a lot of low tier ships and replaying them. Some I liked when I 1st got them but sold for needed port slots/credits/Capt's and some that I did bad in and wanted a do over. SC was for a do over. I actually am amazed at how much better it seems now. It did get a small buff in between my 1st go round and this one (range as I recall) but still same slow and lumbering ship. It is pretty good though for a T3 BB. Now that I know how to properly position and play I do well in it.

Sign in to follow this