Swedgin381

[ALL] USN Skins, Mostly Measure 22 (Florida added)

77 comments in this topic

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

Unless someone has written a custom editor for camouflages. xml then you will probably need to use Major Renegade's Unpackager to extract that file then edit the entries for the specific ship you want camo suppressed.  This method would also likely require keeping tabs on the file during updates.

That or go all the way down the rabbit hole and use custom skins for all ships.:cap_cool:

[S0L0]
Members
305 posts
7,842 battles
On 7/30/2018 at 11:43 AM, nagasakee said:

Thank you so very much @TheElusiveDenby!   As you can see by my sig, this camo for the Massachusetts meant a lot to me.  thanks for making it a reality!

I AM having an issue using it though.  I tried the "camo remover" mod from Ashlains, but it merely renders the plain steel hull, and removes camo from ALL other ships, including my Yamato, and Shimakazee camo's I want to keep.

Could you please identify which specific Ashlain mod you use to change solely the Mass?

That's impossible, the best way to go about removing the camo for the Mass. only is by editing the camo xml file yourself, but you'll have to renew it every update.

However, there is a mod that replaces every prema camo for the US and some pan-asian destroyers to MS22. (not sure if Mass been updated into it yet)

• Cool 1

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
587 posts
18,997 battles

thanks much @JB_24 that's exactly what I did, it works very well and is a snap to install.   Thanks very much, upvoted!

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles

Hello,

I've never installed a skin before...

So, to be sure, if I download and install, say, the Des Moines skin, it will override the display of the hideous Shark/Go navy permacamo while I still get the permacamo bonuses, if that permacamo is applied via the Port?

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

Probably not, the shark/eagle camo, french rooster/lady, etc. are seperate models with their own texture files.  You can check Aslains to see if there is a mod to swap them for the defaults but a skin mod does not fix it because it's essentially  a whole different ship.

Edited by TheStarSlayer

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles

Hey, everyone -

Sorry for not posting anything new for awhile (thanks TheStarSlayer for answering some of the questions while I was MIA).  I'm just in one of those periods where I really have no interest in doing anything involved with this game at the moment.  But I heard about 7.9 breaking all the texture mods, so I figured I'd at least get those fixed up and re-posted.  All the links should now be for updated, working skins.

Also, WG recently(...?) changed the texture for the Des Moines/Salem turrets.  If you're using one of these skins for either of those ships, go check it, and if the main guns look wonky go to your ../res_mods/0.7.9.1/content/gameplay/usa/gun/main/textures folder and delete this file: AGM025_8in55_Triple_Mk16_a.dds.  Good news is that WG's new turret texture looks to be pretty free of rust, so a replacement for use w/ these isn't really necessary anymore.

Hopefully I'll be in the mood to start playing again soon, and at that point I'll get busy on Ms22 skins for the Boise, Alaska, Wichita, and maybe Seattle...

Edited by TheElusiveDenby
  • Cool 2

[AMWKS]
Members
340 posts
4,403 battles

@TheElusiveDenbyLove the new title, and good to see you back.  We had to set up a MASH unit in the backyard and operate on the skins with this patch.  Thankfully, there were no casualties and the vodka still is going full blast.  We're out of olives though.

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles

Boise added to second post.

Had done a little work on it a couple of months ago, then jumped back on it this weekend figuring I could get it finished off pretty quick.  Oh, how wrong I was.  :cap_fainting:This was hands-down the most... not "difficult", but "tedious" skin I've worked on yet.  You quickly get a feel for how obviously last-minute the decision was to release this ship as Boise in addition to NdJ.  The fact that there's a panamerica subfolder in this mod isn't a mistake; the ship actually still pulls some of its textures from there, even tho there are identical (but correctly-colored) versions in the usa/misc folder.

I spent way too much time on this one considering that it's a ship I don't even own, and probably never will (unless it drops from an SC or Santa crate).  But hopefully some of those of you who do have it will enjoy this one...

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles

O3EzF45.jpg

This is something I originally made strictly for my own personal use.  I used Tanz's skin for the Iowa's Measure 32/1B dazzle camo as a template, modifying the default skin and keeping the original WG shade of haze gray, so that it'd look okay with all the other detail bits (turrets, AA mounts, rangefinders, etc.).  But now that Tanz has apparently retired and his stuff isn't available anymore (AFAIK?), I feel like it might be okay to share this with others.  (Tanz, if you're reading this and have a problem with that, say something and I'll take it down.)

Added to the first post.  Note that it's for the Iowa's A-hull only.

I also have one for the B-hull, in the Missouri's Ms32/22D scheme.  I can get that added eventually, too... or very soon, if no one minds not having an accompanying screenshot (I sold the B hull way back when the inventory system was first added).

• Cool 2

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles

I may be a bit late but this is exactly what i like to see!!! I have been wanting the numbers for premium camos for ages. LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles

Georgia and Ohio added to post #1; Alaska added to post #2.

To-do list:  Somers, Wichita, Puerto Rico.  Looks like the Des Moines, Salem, and Kidd skins need to be looked at and see if I can clean up a couple of problems with them.  And I still haven't gotten around to fixing the Benson's funnel caps (should be gray, not black)...  :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles

Minor fixes uploaded for Kidd, Salem (Ms22 only), and Des Moines.  All 3 ships had a few gray detail bits in the blue areas of the hull, which have now been corrected.  (Both master files have been updated, as well.)

Alaska has the same problem, but in her case, unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it.  These items use the same generic portion of the texture as many other things on the ship, so coloring them blue means turning a bunch of stuff on the superstructure blue, as well.  :Smile_sad:

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles

Somers added to post #3; another version from a different time period will be coming in a few days.  This just leaves Wichita left to do, in terms of catching up on stuff I missed (not counting things like Benham, which I don't have plans for).  Hopefully Puerto Rico will also be done and ready for posting on the day it's released, whenever that might be.

Personal note:  Somers was actually the ship my grandfather served on during WWII, so it's very very cool to see it in the game, and it was a lot of fun to work on these 2 skins for it.  I'd love to have it in my own port, but that'd mean slogging my way to rank 1 like 4 more times, and... ugh.  :cap_fainting:The pain...

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles
8 minutes ago, Albrecht_Brandi said:

Somers had another scheme, different from measure 22 and the one presented in the game)

Yes, Measure 12(modified).  It's possible someone else maybe working on that.  We'll see...  :Smile_popcorn:

Modder
452 posts
1 battles
3 minutes ago, TheElusiveDenby said:

Yes, Measure 12(modified).  It's possible someone else maybe working on that.  We'll see...  :Smile_popcorn:

and measure 32 / 3d) I did earlier.  but not Somers, but Sampson, as there are more photos on it)

True, this is a camo template, but you could make a skin.

shot-19_09.15_00_10.06-0070.jpg.adece1a75d058a0a1856c4bbaa3a467b.thumb.jpg.6469fb913aaac4cda8cf6b7625b39525.jpgshot-19_09.15_00_10.16-0567.jpg.057804b2d7e3d278ee532dbf2be86350.thumb.jpg.805603422ea5b2c8ba352ae1792ba557.jpg

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles
12 hours ago, Albrecht_Brandi said:

and measure 32 / 3d) I did earlier.  but not Somers, but Sampson, as there are more photos on it)

True, this is a camo template, but you could make a skin.

shot-19_09.15_00_10.06-0070.jpg.adece1a75d058a0a1856c4bbaa3a467b.thumb.jpg.6469fb913aaac4cda8cf6b7625b39525.jpg

<snip>

That looks awesome!  :cap_like: You're right--I forgot about the 32/3d.  I've only seen the one photo of it that navsource has, and based on the date that may actually be how she was painted when my grandfather was on board (which I think was late-'44/early-'45).

• Cool 1

Modder
452 posts
1 battles
5 hours ago, TheElusiveDenby said:

(which I think was late-'44/early-'45).

http://www.usndazzle.com/ship.php?id=22

in the link there is a letter from July 1944 that this scheme is recommended for destroyers of the Atlantic fleet.  + on another site there is no clarification of what scheme was on it in 1945, so perhaps 32 measures remained on it until the end of the war.

if necessary, I can provide the source code of the scheme.  The more people take advantage of my work, the better and more useful for the community.

Edited by Albrecht_Brandi
  • Cool 2

[RED]
Modder
199 posts
10,085 battles

Okay, I need some help from my fellow modders (or anyone else who wants to take a shot at figuring this out).  It looks like WG has somehow added their own #68 to the bow and stern of the Ohio:

(mine is the smaller one on top, theirs is the larger, darker one below)
4vtPSbQ.jpg

This clearly wasn't there when I finished the skin and took a screenshot on Oct. 13 (so I'm assuming it was probably added in 0.8.9):

gLjkUL1.jpg

I want to get rid of WG's, because quite honestly I think mine looks better (more realistic size and color), and normally this would be about 5 minutes' work in Photoshop to accomplish, but... I can't figure out where the damn thing is.  :Smile_amazed:  It's not on any of the texture or camo files I'd expect to find it on, so I don't know where the heck it's coming from.  Does anyone have any ideas?