You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Amracil

Fushun - So Fun!

30 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles

If you have not yet tried the (relatively) new Pan Asian DD line, and are familiar with the other DD lines, I urge you to give the PA DD's a try. Had this game early today with only a 6-pt. captain.

Spoiler

aKfXbw5.jpg

Note that there is 1 second left in the game. This kill (with guns) secured the win. Also... seven kills total. Landed 15 torpedo hits. Not every game in this boat is like this, but torpedoes that cannot be seen from space... I love it.

The matchmaking gods really smiled on me here. Mine was the only DD in the game. But still. So fun!

Respects,

Am

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles

Not gonna lie, I was not at all impressed with Fushun.  It is one of only two destroyers I've played recently where I've posted a WTR below 1000, and the other (Gadjah Mada) is over a three game sample where my computer crashed mid-game in two of them (and even still it's less than 100 points behind Fushun).

Then again, looking at your overall stats it looks like you're better in torpedo boats than I am, so maybe it was just me.  If I ever get this PC issue fixed maybe I'll go back and give it a few more tries.

• Cool 1

[FORM]
Members
252 posts
4,790 battles

Amracil, i was in a group called ICOP, International Consortium of Privateers back in a game called Starfleet Command and the expansion Orion Pirates. Man that brings back Memories. Still have the game on disk but windows 10 will not run it. 

[SYN]
Members
14,360 posts
10,224 battles

Call me jaded, but Anshan offers everything Fushun does, while having torps that can hit DDs.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,105 posts
18,622 battles
25 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Call me jaded, but Anshan offers everything Fushun does, while having torps that can hit DDs.

This. Plus the Anshan camo gives you a freeXP bonus.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
18 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Personally, MrDeaf, I'm of the opinion (not that WG would do it, mind you) that the Anshan and Lo Yang should be changed to use DWTs to reflect the so called "national flavor" of PA DDs.

Furthermore, I think that they'd be PA DD better trainers if they did use DWTs because I think that it could be potentially confusing to have the regular line DDs using DWTs and the premium DDs using regular ones.  I think it could cause you to make mistakes, such as forget that your prem DD has regular torps rather than DWTs or the reverse, and get used to the regular torps in the prem PA DDs and try to use your DWTs on DDs when they obviously wouldn't work.

As for the Anshan, you're not  entirely wrong, except that the Fushun's DWTs have a much lower detection range (I assume, I don't have the game open right now to verify this) than the Anshan's regular torps.

56 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

Not gonna lie, I was not at all impressed with Fushun.  It is one of only two destroyers I've played recently where I've posted a WTR below 1000, and the other (Gadjah Mada) is over a three game sample where my computer crashed mid-game in two of them (and even still it's less than 100 points behind Fushun).

Then again, looking at your overall stats it looks like you're better in torpedo boats than I am, so maybe it was just me.  If I ever get this PC issue fixed maybe I'll go back and give it a few more tries.

Harv, if you're not that good at torpedo boat DDs, then you'll probably find the PA DDs challenging to use.  No crime in that.  

I'd like to think that I'm pretty good in torp boats, and I love the Fushun.  It does feel strange to be in what's essentially a Russian gunboat and to be using it as a stealthy torp boat, but I love it.  It's not a particularly good shorter range brawly gunboat due to its slow traversing turrets.  But at range where turret traverse is less of an issue, its guns are very nice.  And I'm looking forward to the Gadjah Mada.

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Harv, if you're not that good at torpedo boat DDs, then you'll probably find the PA DDs challenging to use.  No crime in that.  

I'd like to think that I'm pretty good in torp boats, and I love the Fushun.  It does feel strange to be in what's essentially a Russian gunboat and to be using it as a stealthy torp boat, but I love it.  It's not a particularly good shorter range brawly gunboat due to its slow traversing turrets.  But at range where turret traverse is less of an issue, its guns are very nice.  And I'm looking forward to the Gadjah Mada.

Ehhh...I think I'm at least average in torpedo-centric destroyers, but I'm definitely better with gunboats/hybrids.  It just seemed liked Fushun didn't really do anything very well...the guns were meh, the torps were solid but you don't get much stealth wiggle room with them and the reload is nothing special.  I only got 18 games in her, though, so maybe I just needed more time to flesh out her strengths.

The weird thing is that I've done much better in the Ognevoi over a similar sample size & the same playing period, which on paper looks very similar and gets much tougher matchmaking. 

[ARGSY]
5,105 posts
18,622 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Personally, MrDeaf, I'm of the opinion (not that WG would do it, mind you) that the Anshan and Lo Yang should be changed to use DWTs to reflect the so called "national flavor" of PA DDs.

Furthermore, I think that they'd be PA DD better trainers if they did use DWTs because I think that it could be potentially confusing to have the regular line DDs using DWTs and the premium DDs using regular ones.  I think it could cause you to make mistakes, such as forget that your prem DD has regular torps rather than DWTs or the reverse, and get used to the regular torps in the prem PA DDs and try to use your DWTs on DDs when they obviously wouldn't work.

As for the Anshan, you're not  entirely wrong, except that the Fushun's DWTs have a much lower detection range (I assume, I don't have the game open right now to verify this) than the Anshan's regular torps.

WG will not change premiums. When I bought the Lo Yang and Anshan I wanted them with there normal torpedos. Especially the first one since her hydro helps to fight DD in smoke. While a lower detection range helps you with a BB player that likes to sail in a straight line they are less useful in hunting other DD or deny a area to them. And no, I’m not confused because I know what ship has what kind of torpedos. 

They are good gunboats and brawler if you use a extra captain for them. Did this in the Anshan and Gremyashchy. Staying at range will not help you if you need to take a cap. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
3 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

WG will not change premiums. When I bought the Lo Yang and Anshan I wanted them with there normal torpedos. Especially the first one since her hydro helps to fight DD in smoke. While a lower detection range helps you with a BB player that likes to sail in a straight line they are less useful in hunting other DD or deny a area to them. And no, I’m not confused because I know what ship has what kind of torpedos. 

They are good gunboats and brawler if you use a extra captain for them. Did this in the Anshan and Gremyashchy. Staying at range will not help you if you need to take a cap. 

Sigh.  It's annoying when people don't realize that we're not all dummies.  I know that WG almost never changes premiums.  That doesn't mean that I can't state an opinion wishing they would in this case, for what I think is a solid reason.

As for the second paragraph, I don't know of any ships that get to have two captains.  Somehow, I don't think that this was what you meant.

And getting in close with a DD with crappy turret traverse isn't going to help you any if you have to fight a brawling DD with excellent turret traverse.  Oh, sure, if the enemy DD is nearly dead, you can probably take him out.  But I hate brawling with DDs that have great traversing turrets when mine turn like molasses.  It just feels like I'm throwing away my DD pointlessly.

• Bad 1

[ARGSY]
5,105 posts
18,622 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Sigh.  It's annoying when people don't realize that we're not all dummies.  I know that WG almost never changes premiums.  That doesn't mean that I can't state an opinion wishing they would in this case, for what I think is a solid reason.

As for the second paragraph, I don't know of any ships that get to have two captains.  Somehow, I don't think that this was what you meant.

And getting in close with a DD with crappy turret traverse isn't going to help you any if you have to fight a brawling DD with excellent turret traverse.  Oh, sure, if the enemy DD is nearly dead, you can probably take him out.  But I hate brawling with DDs that have great traversing turrets when mine turn like molasses.  It just feels like I'm throwing away my DD pointlessly.

First off all: why you get personal?

Second: I’m 25k XP short of T10 in this line and know what they can do and what not. Add to this that I have any other DD line at max tier.

Third: you need different captain builds. Till T8 expert marksman helps. If you have BFT you can also use the main battery mod 2 without losing ROF. With T8 retrain your captain because expert marksman is useless with the USN turrets. 

And only because you think your opinion about DWT for premiums is right didn’t mean it makes it right for other players.

• Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
16 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

First off all: why you get personal?

Second: I’m 25k XP short of T10 in this line and know what they can do and what not. Add to this that I have any other DD line at max tier.

Third: you need different captain builds. Till T8 expert marksman helps. If you have BFT you can also use the main battery mod 2 without losing ROF. With T8 retrain your captain because expert marksman is useless with the USN turrets. 

And only because you think your opinion about DWT for premiums is right didn’t mean it makes it right for other players.

Why I get personal?  Because your statement about WG not changing premiums reeked of condescension as if you were the only person who knows that WG doesn't change premiums (which isn't actually true*), which is itself personal.  In my view, it was you who got personal.  I only responded to what I saw as a personal attack.  If you didn't want your statement to come off as a condescending personal attack, you should have phrased it differently.  Something like "As we all know, WG rarely changes premium ships." That would have been avoided any sense of condescension.

Secondly, I have all but the PA and KM DDs at tier 10.  I'm at tier 8 on the KM DD line and tier 6 on the PA DD line.  So I think that I'm pretty well informed on what DDs can do as well.

Thirdly, I'd love to have expert marksman on my Fushun.  Sadly, I don't have enough skill points yet.  I only have 10 points on her for now, and have the obligatory Last Stand as her level 2 skill and CE as the level 4 skill.  (Don't remember what I took as the level 3 skill, and don't have the game open to look.)  I'll probably take EM as the next skill I take when I have 2 skill points to spend.

Lastly, it's not about what's right for the players.  It's what's right for the ship and the line and the national flavor.

* WG does change premiums.  Just not often.  The smoke changes affected the Belfast, Perth, and Kutuzov so much that they offered refunds on at least 2 of those ships.  (Don't remember if they offered a refund on the Perth.)  Furthermore, they changed the Atlanta when they gave it a radar consumable.  They effectively changed the Gremmy as well as other premiums, I assume, then they got rid of OWFS.  They didn't offer any refunds on that change, though given how great an impact it had, I think that they probably should have done so, since the removal of OWFS was at least as profound a change as the smoke changes and probably more so for some ships.

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,739 battles

Adding the option to run dwt on the lo yang and anshan would be nice. And tbh the fushun is much more powerful than the anshan. You pretty much ALWAYS have smoke available and you have a less detection by 200m.

The deep water torps are so so good. 

[ARGSY]
5,105 posts
18,622 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Why I get personal?  Because your statement about WG not changing premiums reeked of condescension as if you were the only person who knows that WG doesn't change premiums (which isn't actually true*), which is itself personal.  In my view, it was you who got personal.  I only responded to what I saw as a personal attack.  If you didn't want your statement to come off as a condescending personal attack, you should have phrased it differently.  Something like "As we all know, WG rarely changes premium ships." That would have been avoided any sense of condescension.

Secondly, I have all but the PA and KM DDs at tier 10.  I'm at tier 8 on the KM DD line and tier 6 on the PA DD line.  So I think that I'm pretty well informed on what DDs can do as well.

Thirdly, I'd love to have expert marksman on my Fushun.  Sadly, I don't have enough skill points yet.  I only have 10 points on her for now, and have the obligatory Last Stand as her level 2 skill and CE as the level 4 skill.  (Don't remember what I took as the level 3 skill, and don't have the game open to look.)  I'll probably take EM as the next skill I take when I have 2 skill points to spend.

Lastly, it's not about what's right for the players.  It's what's right for the ship and the line and the national flavor.

* WG does change premiums.  Just not often.  The smoke changes affected the Belfast, Perth, and Kutuzov so much that they offered refunds on at least 2 of those ships.  (Don't remember if they offered a refund on the Perth.)  Furthermore, they changed the Atlanta when they gave it a radar consumable.  They effectively changed the Gremmy as well as other premiums, I assume, then they got rid of OWFS.  They didn't offer any refunds on that change, though given how great an impact it had, I think that they probably should have done so, since the removal of OWFS was at least as profound a change as the smoke changes and probably more so for some ships.

Ok seems you have some problems of your own if you feel attacked only because I said that they don’t change premiums. There was no intention to call you a dummy.

If you have not enough points to build a captain this still not makes it invalid that you can turn them into a gun boat. I known it’s easier if you have enough eliteXP to start with a 10 or 14 point captain. 

Regarding changing premiums: there is a difference if you change the design/equipment of the ship or the game mechanics. From the first they know the shitstorm they triggered with the Super Pershing. That’s why they have second thoughts of doing this again. They rather pull a ship from the store. 

When they change the game mechanics this impacts more ships then the premiums. In some cases they offer a refund in gold(smoke changes) or not (removing stealth firing from the game).  

When they lowered the caliber that profit from from AFT/BFT they changed the gun range and rof of the MK to the stats to match those if you still can use that skills.

Still: they don’t change premiums. The only borderline change without a refund was the Blyskawica. When she hit the store WG pointed out that she can stealth fire. 

[ARGSY]
5,105 posts
18,622 battles
5 minutes ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Adding the option to run dwt on the lo yang and anshan would be nice. And tbh the fushun is much more powerful than the anshan. You pretty much ALWAYS have smoke available and you have a less detection by 200m.

The deep water torps are so so good. 

If you have the chance to hunt bigger prey. I usually try to escord some torpedo boats into a cap. You add some extra firepower if you find a DD there. And you can use your torps to launch them on cruisers and BB close by even through the DD of your own team. 

DWT give you a big advantage against BB and you can easy farm damage. But they are a handicap if you need to contest a cap alone. 

[-K-]
Members
5,044 posts
8,928 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

It would also help to balance out Lo Yang in Ranked, as she is definitely too strong in that arena with her hydro and all-purpose torps.

[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,286 battles
5 hours ago, Amracil said:

If you have not yet tried the (relatively) new Pan Asian DD line, and are familiar with the other DD lines, I urge you to give the PA DD's a try. Had this game early today with only a 6-pt. captain.

Reveal hidden contents

aKfXbw5.jpg

Note that there is 1 second left in the game. This kill (with guns) secured the win. Also... seven kills total. Landed 15 torpedo hits. Not every game in this boat is like this, but torpedoes that cannot be seen from space... I love it.

The matchmaking gods really smiled on me here. Mine was the only DD in the game. But still. So fun!

Respects,

Am

I agree entirely, it's a fun boat.

I too, had a fun battle the other day which resulted me in being the only DD left. Had to shake may head as a New York sailed along and island, briefly spotted me as I vanished into smoke, then ate 4 DWTs as he never changed course. I also ended up stealing a few kills with guns on very low health BBs and CAs.

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
4 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Yeah... too bad it doesn't count when climbing that tree. :(

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,267 posts

I anticipated the DW torps as a module option... my way, you could have chosen between regular and DW torps... imagine the confusion that would have caused for reds. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

Myself, I wouldn't like that change. I'd much rather they stay as they are and then just the Tree ships and future (doubt it) PA Premium DDs could have the Pan Asian torp flavour. The thing I could support would be if it was a 3rd option, but I doubt they would do that, and it might even create it's own set of balance issues that they would have to work out.

Either way, I'd rather they not swap out the regular torps, your opinion clearly differs on this. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
28 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Myself, I wouldn't like that change. I'd much rather they stay as they are and then just the Tree ships and future (doubt it) PA Premium DDs could have the Pan Asian torp flavour. The thing I could support would be if it was a 3rd option, but I doubt they would do that, and it might even create it's own set of balance issues that they would have to work out.

Either way, I'd rather they not swap out the regular torps, your opinion clearly differs on this. 

The difference here is, that I have no selfish reason for thinking that this change would be a good idea.  OTOH, from what I can see, everyone who dislikes the idea is disliking it for very personal reasons, i.e. reasons that benefit them.  I gain no real benefit if the Anshan and Lo Yang were switched to use DWTs.  My reason for liking it isn't for personal gain, but for a consistency between the PA premium DDs and the regular tech tree DDs.

[SF-3]
Members
1,431 posts
7,875 battles

congrats on a good game. I absolutely hated fushun, almost made me stop playing the line altogether.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles
10 hours ago, Scrapyard_ said:

Amracil, i was in a group called ICOP, International Consortium of Privateers back in a game called Starfleet Command and the expansion Orion Pirates. Man that brings back Memories. Still have the game on disk but windows 10 will not run it. 

Scrapyard... perhaps you knew me as Ronin-iCoP (still what everyone calls me on our Mumble server) back in those days? Some of us are still around and playing here. Ramagar, Vader, Pride, Newt, and some others. MagnumMan is playing WoT. You are welcome to join us any time. Once an iCoP, always an iCoP! We've been around since 1999, and are planning to hang around a good while longer.  <O

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I agree entirely, it's a fun boat.

I too, had a fun battle the other day which resulted me in being the only DD left. Had to shake may head as a New York sailed along and island, briefly spotted me as I vanished into smoke, then ate 4 DWTs as he never changed course. I also ended up stealing a few kills with guns on very low health BBs and CAs.

Nice! Gotta love a BB player that drives in straight lines at constant speed. Pretty awesome to have torpedoes that are not spotted from orbit. Also, I don't consider that stealing, brother. Securing a kill is tactically sound pretty much any time, imo.

Respects,

Am

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

The difference here is, that I have no selfish reason for thinking that this change would be a good idea.  OTOH, from what I can see, everyone who dislikes the idea is disliking it for very personal reasons, i.e. reasons that benefit them.  I gain no real benefit if the Anshan and Lo Yang were switched to use DWTs.  My reason for liking it isn't for personal gain, but for a consistency between the PA premium DDs and the regular tech tree DDs.

And thats fine. However considering I purchased my Lo Yang and Anshan nearly 2 years ago I would rather they not change something as dramatic as the torps would be this far along. I feel as though that bird has flown. I get your angle, homogenize the line, I just think these ships are a bit old for it now, nevermind the premium "rules". They (WG) certainly fidget with Preemies but this might be too large a change, especially if they (playerbase) don't consider it a net gain.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles
4 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

congrats on a good game. I absolutely hated fushun, almost made me stop playing the line altogether.

Thanks, brother. I opted to take Expert Marksman immediately after Last Stand. That made the turret traverse identical to my Shinonome, which I am pretty accustomed to, and really made the ship feel more comfortable for me to play. It will slow my progression to Concealment Expert, but out-turning my turret traverse was driving me nuts. It looks to me like the line just gets better and better, so I am really looking forward to Tiers 7-10.

Respects,

Am