Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aorangi

Iowa Question

7 comments in this topic

[NFE]
Members
93 posts
2,995 battles

I have been playing the Iowa for a few battles and it has me wondering something.

Would there be less bow tanking in the Iowa if her rudder shift time was reduced and/or her turning circle reduced?

[SPTR]
Members
25,680 posts
10,836 battles

Then it will become a bit more like the Dunkerque quickly reacting to new threats to point her bow at but I got nothing against your thoughts.

Historically the Iowas had turning circles and rudder shift times more or less better than destroyers of its era.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

If you have it historical agility and also reduced its bow to <32mm you'd probably remove the bow fighting. However people would just play it like a Khabarovsk, sitting a long-max range and annoying people to death with effective immortality due to never getting hit.

I'd love to see BBs get either a dispersion buff or a agility buff in return for concealment or anti BB armor.

[NFE]
Members
93 posts
2,995 battles
On 1/25/2018 at 8:47 PM, Rolkatsuki said:

Then it will become a bit more like the Dunkerque quickly reacting to new threats to point her bow at but I got nothing against your thoughts.

Historically the Iowas had turning circles and rudder shift times more or less better than destroyers of its era.

I have no experience with the Dunkerque, but I agree with you in that there may be some of that, but hopefully more players will us it to flank enemies or even change flanks.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:02 PM, X15 said:

If you have it historical agility and also reduced its bow to <32mm you'd probably remove the bow fighting. However people would just play it like a Khabarovsk, sitting a long-max range and annoying people to death with effective immortality due to never getting hit.

I'd love to see BBs get either a dispersion buff or a agility buff in return for concealment or anti BB armor.

I thought that was how the Conqueror and the Yamato were played?

That would be interesting as well.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
14 hours ago, Aorangi said:

I thought that was how the Conqueror and the Yamato were played?

Most people do play conqueror like that, although it's tanking comes from the super heal and it's stealth. Montanna can also do this quite well as its stealth is not too far behind and it's guns can be much more accurate.

Sometimes people also try that with Yamato but it's very ineffective. That ship has none of the things necessary to be a good kite.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, X15 said:

I, on the other hand, would feel it interesting if BBs received a dispersion nerf across the board, for a survivability buff across the board. Sure, you'll have more difficulty killing things.
But then, battleships would become incredibly survivable, moreso than now. This would hopefully result in people feeling more confident and likely to be aggressive in battleships instead of hiding further back.  

Honestly, while useful, concealment battleships are a tired concept. It's downright insane even. Roma, NC, Iowa, RN BB and more outspot the Moskva and other cruisers. 
This is why I feel that Bismarck is the ideal concept of a battleship. 
Well armored and survivable, as a BB should be. 
Comfortable, powerful guns. Sometimes dispersion can be a pain, that's normal for  a 'battleship'. Often the guns are pretty reliable really, easily scoring 8-14k damage hits on other BB at even 18km when moving from place to place.
A useable secondary battery that deters battleships from hanging around due to chips and fires,  and damages cruisers and destroyers. Useable range that gives the ship presence. 
Tools for survivability, hydroacoustic search and spotter plane that provides extra information and early warning. 
A decent HP pool. A concealment that isn't 'from the moon' like Fuso, Moskva, Yammy, etc but isn't stealthy either. 

Iowa herself, wouldn't change. Even with better agility. The fact remains she's too large and with vulnerable armor to be actively maneuvering. In her current state, the bowtank meta is her best option next to the peculiar active style that some of the Iowa mains have like Wo_9 or however his IGN is written.  She's a strong ship, but an agility buff wouldn't change much but make torpedobeats easier and U-turns less punishing, which honestly is stupid. It already received a lowered citadel. If you want 'realistic' agility of the Iowa, I feel you should accept the citadel back to the previous state. You may now complete your turn and keep your good concealment, but if you time it badly and let me get a salvo off on you mid-turn, prepare to eat citadels. It's a 'risk/reward' type of situation. 

Basically, an Iowa with 'real' agility would play exactly like NC.

Has to remain bow on or extremely angled to tank. Has a small turn radius and good rudder. 
But if you get caught in that 'tight' turn, that high citadel means you will get punished hard. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,412 posts
10,181 battles
On 1/25/2018 at 9:07 PM, Aorangi said:

I have been playing the Iowa for a few battles and it has me wondering something.

Would there be less bow tanking in the Iowa if her rudder shift time was reduced and/or her turning circle reduced?

Probably not as that has become the high tier playstyle for BB's and her sides are squishy. What it would do is let you disengage easier vs being forced to stay bow on for a slow death vs instadeletion if you try and turn off as it is now LOL.

Sign in to follow this