You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrSparkle

Is there ANY way to make Mikasa work?

23 comments in this topic

Members
433 posts

I use it here and there for poops and giggles but man it's so bad. Main guns are almost as inaccurate as other ships' secondaries and it's own secondaries (which are the ship's strength) are woefully short-ranged. I mean even when I finally get AFT they are 3.6 km. Considering like every other ship at it's tier has torpedoes

Oh and it's a floating tinderbox.

I know it's a novelty, a collector's item but it only works when an enemy closes within secondary range (just got two close quarters and a double kill about 30 minutes ago defending cap). Can't rely on them being naive enough to do that all the time though.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
12 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

In PvP, oh heck no. In PvE, oh hells to the yeah.

^This!!!!

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles

I personally can get it to work for me in either PvP or PvE mode.  My win rate with her in PVP is about 61% so she has a few things going for her. 

In PvP at tier II, you are by far the best protected ship out there so you can tank a lot more damage than any other vessel in the ocean.  Your 12 inch guns can be hilariously inaccurate but when you do get a hit, it can be devastating to the thin skinned cruisers of that tier or even a DD if you can manage to actually hit the thing.  You also have a fairly short length which means she can almost turn on a dime and as has been mentioned earlier, while short ranged, she has a LOT of secondaries which can slice and dice any dd or cruiser who comes in close to you.  

As for torpedoes, well no, the only ships at T2 that have torpedoes are destroyers, none of the cruisers have them which makes smashing cruisers your bread and butter.  This changes a bit when she is uptiered to T3 matches though at which point her tight turning circle comes in handy.   

Mikasa is at her best when enemy cruisers, or even the incautious dd closes with her and while generally this is achieved by the red ships not really appreciating what they are getting into, it can also be when you are invading the red base and the red fleet is trying to push you out.  I once had three cruisers come in close to Mikasa in that situation and the secondaries literally tore them apart. 

Where Mikasa is at her weakest is when she is uptiered into T3 matchups and has to face real dreadnoughts but even here you have some unexpected advantages.  To begin with, even though you don't have the firepower of a dreadnought, you're armored like one.  If the enemy players are aware of this, they will sometimes shift their fire to what they perceive to be the greater threat, your friendly team's dreadnoughts, and largely leave you alone.  When this happy event occurs, you can happily plink away at whatever targets you like in relative impunity.  And while you only have four of them, you are still slinging out 12 inch shells which can cause real pain if they manage to hit their target.  

This isn't to say that Mikasa is this over powered amazing battleship, she's not.  She's a Pre-Dreadnought and there is a reason the navies of the world switched over to the much more powerful dreadnought type in the years leading up to WW I.  This does not, however, mean that the Mikasa is hopeless or helpless, but you do need to understand her strengths and amplify those in the way you fight her in order to be successful with her. 

Hope that's helpful. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

[-SYN-]
Members
156 posts
134 battles
26 minutes ago, Crucis said:

^This!!!!

She's a one ship bot wrecking crew in Co-op, that's God's own truth, right there.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles
1 hour ago, MrSparkle said:

Main guns are almost as inaccurate as other ships' secondaries

I only play her in co-op and I have a 46% hit ratio with he main guns ! 

:Smile_honoring:

Members
280 posts
9,269 battles

Back in the early days, when it only faced the tier I & II's it was designed to fight, you could actually hold your own in it. I had several Krakens & some 60k damage games back then. Used it to farm Close Quarters Flags for the day. Now, no, its not really viable anymore. As you have discovered, fast loading, torpedo spitting dd's & cruiser will wreak it, While the BB's it faces can citadel it from all angles, while you cant, even at point blank range. Heaven help you if you stumble across a konig albert, cant even scratch that thing with a mikasa...

Edited by bigalow87

Members
433 posts

I don't play PvE though. I need to get four more captain points for AFT and just the thought of doing it is annoying me lol.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

Mikasa in PVP?

6Ep1FbV.png

Even with AFT, the secondaries range is beyond abysmal.  You have to rely on people being completely stupid enough to sail right into your tiny-t-rex arms that are your secondaries.  Even some random scrub playing the game for the first few times will troll the hell out of you.  Their Tier II Cruiser's guns are simply better than Mikasa's main battery.  It's not even enough against a DD as they can still close in out of your secondaries range, show themselves, and still torp the hell out of you.

[-SYN-]
Members
156 posts
134 battles
23 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Mikasa in PVP?

6Ep1FbV.png

Even with AFT, the secondaries range is beyond abysmal.  You have to rely on people being completely stupid enough to sail right into your tiny-t-rex arms that are your secondaries.  Even some random scrub playing the game for the first few times will troll the hell out of you.  Their Tier II Cruiser's guns are simply better than Mikasa's main battery.  It's not even enough against a DD as they can still close in out of your secondaries range, show themselves, and still torp the hell out of you.

But, oh so much fun in Co-op.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
On 1/25/2018 at 9:21 PM, xDiaboliquex said:

But, oh so much fun in Co-op.

I've had Mikasa since they first brought her out to NA server, never tried her out in co-op until today.  She is indeed hilarious there as the NPCs come to you, unlike in PVP where the players aren't that stupid.  Having targets on both sides of Mikasa and all her secondaries roaring is great to see.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
76 posts

What the others have said.  The only downside is that you're so slow that you sometimes never make it into secondary range.. which is sad.  It'd be my go-to ship for T2 ranked.  :cap_hmm:

Members
640 posts
18,452 battles

Mikasa NEED BUFF! But if WG Add A cat on game , why not ADD captain Tōgō Heihachirō exclusive for IJN MIKASA. As event With ability +20% range secondaries & accurate -7% main guns! The mikasa was legendary on the battle tsushima.

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,681 battles

I reckon if her secondaries were given a rather substantial buff she'd be competitive but not overpowered. Her main battery is so lackluster that she really needs the help.

Perhaps make her current max range the base range, so that AFT would push her range out a bit further.  Though, even that would leave her max secondary range at about 4.6km, which is still a bit lack luster considering how unreliable her main battery can be.

Members
640 posts
18,452 battles

I return and repeat, add a unique captain and only compatible with the mikasa to captain TOGO, with special abilities for the improvement of said ship! as -7% in main battery accurate, and second ability + 20% increase in the rank of their secondaries .. some time ago ask the captain TOGO but I ignore MY IDEA and WG takes out a captain CAT ????? It takes the game seriously.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

WG is never going to have an effective Battleship at Tier II, especially since it's an entry tier for newbies.

Members
280 posts
9,269 battles

Yeah, its nothing more than a goof around ship, suitable only for co - op. Anyone bringing it to randoms is penalizing their team for no good reason...

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
4,737 battles

If it didn't have to face Tier 3 BBs and DDs, then it might be viable...but in its current state? You're basically dead weight to the team.

Members
51 posts
649 battles

I find that the only way to make the Mikasa work is at close range. From long range, the big guns are too inaccurate and the dispersal pattern of the shells is wide enough for the Yamato to sail through unscathed. At knife fighting range, the accuracy of the big guns is less critical because it's nearly impossible to miss regardless of how bad they are and Mikasa also has secondary batteries that can still do damage while you're waiting for the big guns to reload. Torpedoes are an issue, though. Even though Mikasa is smaller than the higher tier BB's, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's either fast or nimble enough to avoid them. I try to do module damage on torpedo launchers if I see any on the deck of the ship I'm fighting if I can. Damaging the engine or rudder also makes it makes more difficult for the other guy to keep his torpedo launchers lined up on you. I only really play it in co-op against bots. If you try taking it into random battles, your team will hate you for it.