You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Received a first strike warning but not running mods

29 comments in this topic

Members
414 posts

Anyone else receive a first strike warning for using mods when no mods were installed? I've never adjusted the game code (I don't know how and am uninterested in mods), and haven't enabled replays.

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,711 battles

Never had that happen myself, but any automated checking system can come up with false positives.  All you can do is submit a ticket.

Members
414 posts
5 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

Never had that happen myself, but any automated checking system can come up with false positives.  All you can do is submit a ticket.

Using a program to take a first stab makes a lot of sense. I don't know how many pings they get when this is run, but I'd hope that they would check a second time before warning someone.

Will still submit a ticket.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,492 battles

send a ticket in

maybe there's some background program(antivirus/firewall/graphics driver,etc.) youre running that gets identified as hacks

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

I have read elsewhere if you have an old copy laying about... or an old mod directory laying around... the "checker/scanner" sometimes picks them up? Def do the ticket. 

Members
797 posts

In game there was a guy talking how a bunch of his friends got warnings and 7 day bans today for an aim cheat. *****. I for one say good riddance!!!

Content moderated by JayStark02

• Cool 2

[TBOW]
Members
16 posts
9,134 battles

I do not know how WG’s anti-cheat system works, but I do know that other anti-cheat systems will detect cheat files on a PC even if they are not installed and/or running.  For example, the cheat file was downloaded to the hard drive, but it was never installed.  The anti-cheat system then scans the PC and finds the cheat file in the “downloads” folder on the PC.  Hello ban.  This can even be cheats made for other games too.

Some anti-cheat systems go as far as to ban you for modifying the operating system so it will boot without key low-level Windows protections features.   Even if there were no active cheats running.  In addition, practically all anti-cheat software makes a finger print of your PC.  This is to identify the cheaters that use one account to cheat on and have a separate account that is “clean”.   The fingerprint also serves to identify repeat offenders.

In my experience with online gaming, false positive do not happen very often.  Usually the person who received a warning or a ban made a mistake in their “process” or they caught red handed.

As for what you can do, all you can do is open a ticket with WG.  Complaining on the forums will not help you at all.  In some online game communities, forum posts about false bans just invites the massive anti-cheat dog pile on you for cheating.

bdnorcal

P.S.  If you really want to become jaded about cheaters, look at the Rust forum on Steam where people ask why their accounts were banned.  Out of the thousands of “I don’t know how to cheat, why was I banned”  or “I do not know what a cheat is” posts, I’ve seen one maybe two get reversed due to false positives.  People will say anything to get a ban reversed.

Edited by bdnorcal

Members
414 posts
4 hours ago, bdnorcal said:

I do not know how WG’s anti-cheat system works, but I do know that other anti-cheat systems will detect cheat files on a PC even if they are not installed and/or running.  For example, the cheat file was downloaded to the hard drive, but it was never installed.  The anti-cheat system then scans the PC and finds the cheat file in the “downloads” folder on the PC.  Hello ban.  This can even be cheats made for other games too.

Some anti-cheat systems go as far as to ban you for modifying the operating system so it will boot without key low-level Windows protections features.   Even if there were no active cheats running.  In addition, practically all anti-cheat software makes a finger print of your PC.  This is to identify the cheaters that use one account to cheat on and have a separate account that is “clean”.   The fingerprint also serves to identify repeat offenders.

In my experience with online gaming, false positive do not happen very often.  Usually the person who received a warning or a ban made a mistake in their “process” or they caught red handed.

As for what you can do, all you can do is open a ticket with WG.  Complaining on the forums will not help you at all.  In some online game communities, forum posts about false bans just invites the massive anti-cheat dog pile on you for cheating.

bdnorcal

P.S.  If you really want to become jaded about cheaters, look at the Rust forum on Steam where people ask why their accounts were banned.  Out of the thousands of “I don’t know how to cheat, why was I banned”  or “I do not know what a cheat is” posts, I’ve seen one maybe two get reversed due to false positives.  People will say anything to get a ban reversed.

I do have Steam and have downloaded a few games recently, but none of them had been toyed around with. I don't think that Windows 10 changed anything recently either, though maybe its anti-virus software is doing something bonkers. I definitely have not downloaded any program to help me in any game, and I'm not just saying that to cover my own butt.

I put in a ticket. I wasn't complaining in this post as much as asking if anyone else has received a similar warning. 

[--O--]
Members
186 posts
17,850 battles

i would be outraged if i was you dude, trouble is unless you record every game how the hell do you prove anything? 

does windows not have log files with stuff installed, time and date stored on it? 

Members
414 posts

I submitted a ticket and was given a stock response from WG:

Thank you for contacting Wargaming support.

We are aware that World of Warships has been growing increasingly popular with the modding community, as the number of mods available today is quite significant.

With this in mind, many of our players have been asking about the safety of using certain mods.

As you might be aware, we’ve implemented a Three-Strike Mod Policy. You can find the complete rules on our forums

Taking all of the above into account, we recommend that you follow these guidelines if you plan to modify your game client in any way. And of course, use only approved mods that our team has vetted and verified, if you have any concerns about the use of third-party mods having an impact on your account’s good standing.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to check our knowledgebase.

This explanation was considered sufficient and they closed the ticket. Not super helpful considering that I'm not running mods and have never installed them. I guess I'll delete all the WOW files and reinstall.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles

I got a forum strike for accusing someone of cross-dressing and general unsavoury behaviour.

Yes, I did that lol.

• Funny 1

[AXANR]
Beta Testers
62 posts
3,421 battles
14 hours ago, bdnorcal said:

bdnorcal

Can confirm. I know R*'s GTAO local scan works this way.  Oh and yeah the Rust forum, brings back good memories. lol

OP, I would still recommend sending in a ticket. Worse case scenario they say no.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,492 battles

coincidence or not, this morning i see 2 more posts elsewhere(one on gamer.com.tw forum, the other one on a facebook group) about false positive first strike warnings , the facebook user is running vanilla, the forum user used only haka's mod pack and posted his list of selected mods..........

i think something in WG is running wild again, possibly another reshade

Edited by jason199506

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles
22 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I submitted a ticket and was given a stock response from WG:

Thank you for contacting Wargaming support.

We are aware that World of Warships has been growing increasingly popular with the modding community, as the number of mods available today is quite significant.

With this in mind, many of our players have been asking about the safety of using certain mods.

As you might be aware, we’ve implemented a Three-Strike Mod Policy. You can find the complete rules on our forums

Taking all of the above into account, we recommend that you follow these guidelines if you plan to modify your game client in any way. And of course, use only approved mods that our team has vetted and verified, if you have any concerns about the use of third-party mods having an impact on your account’s good standing.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to check our knowledgebase.

This explanation was considered sufficient and they closed the ticket. Not super helpful considering that I'm not running mods and have never installed them. I guess I'll delete all the WOW files and reinstall.

I wouldn't accept the blow off as an answer. They have a utility that shows if mods are installed or not. Push the issue, have them send the utility, and send them the log files.

[YORHA]
Members
3,241 posts

Over the past 6-8 ,months the WG Customer Service has become a joke.  All you get is canned replies like that and never any actual help.  They don't even seem to read your e-mail.

My suspicion is they outscored it to some third world country ( you thought I was going to say something else there, didn't yah?) to save money and the poor doofus on the other end only has a list of common problems and WG approved non-helpful replies.

• Cool 1

[PIZZA]
Members
708 posts
7,894 battles

No warnings but friendly note not to do that. 2 times I think. 

I thought automated system must have multiple notes or even tens notes before anything starts to send warnings. All programmers are familiar with od969d hapenings. 

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
15 hours ago, bdnorcal said:

Some anti-cheat systems go as far as to ban you for modifying the operating system so it will boot without key low-level Windows protections features.

This brings up an interesting question. I haven't gotten a warning myself, but I have been booting windows into developer mode to enable a few browser plugins for things totally unrelated to WoWS. Now I'm wondering if doing that is putting me at risk since it loads up with totally different OS permissions than a normal boot. 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Years ago I got an unfair strike.

I contacted appeals, and they took it off after investigating.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,251 posts
24,646 battles

I know that there was an issue with some kind of graphics enhancing program that was causing WG's 'cheat' detection to flag accounts.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

WG Customer Service has become a joke.  All you get is canned replies like that and never any actual help.  They don't even seem to read your e-mail.

This is not true at all. I had a bit of a mix-up recently with moderation and submitted a ticket. Not only was the issue rectified in a few days, I received a personal email from a WG representative apologizing to me for any inconvenience the issue might have caused. What is true is that I also was informed of the sheer volume of posts they had to moderate and the number of tickets they had to process every day. Think that it might be fun being a moderator? Well, think again. I was once a moderator on a science forum but eventually resigned because, even though I was a volunteer,  it got to be to much of a job reading through hundreds of posts a day. 

[YORHA]
Members
3,241 posts
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

This is not true at all. I had a bit of a mix-up recently with moderation and submitted a ticket. Not only was the issue rectified in a few days, I received a personal email from a WG representative apologizing to me for any inconvenience the issue might have caused. What is true is that I also was informed of the sheer volume of posts they had to moderate and the number of tickets they had to process every day. Think that it might be fun being a moderator? Well, think again. I was once a moderator on a science forum but eventually resigned because, even though I was a volunteer,  it got to be to much of a job reading through hundreds of posts a day. 

There is nothing hard about being a Moderator. I was one for over 10 years at an incredibly popular gaming web forum.  It's exactly like being a janitor.  All you do is keep the place tidy and every so often you take out the trash.  If you do your job properly then the community will police itself for the most part.

People who should never  be moderators in the first place make it difficult for themselves and their community by being heavy handed, sloppy, inconsistent and allowing their personal biases to cloud their judgement.

But Moderation has nothing at all to do with WGs customer service department and their almost universal reliance on canned answers that don't address the problem.  Try having a problem with a Credit Card sometimes, or a problem with them not issuing rewards, or game crashes  You will change your tune.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
12 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

There is nothing hard about being a Moderator. I was one for over 10 years at an incredibly popular gaming web forum.  It's exactly like being a janitor.  All you do is keep the place tidy and every so often you take out the trash. 

It might be different being a moderator on a gaming forum. However being a moderator on a scientific or technical forum means that you not only have to scan the posts to ensure that the poster's are following the forum rules, you have to scan them for content too. Having someone present incorrect information, especially on a technical forum, must be prevented as following the wrong instructions, whether given maliciously or mistakenly, can destroy a computer and/or its data and cause thousands of dollars in real-world damage.

Edited by Snargfargle

[YORHA]
Members
3,241 posts
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

It might be different being a moderator on a gaming forum. However being a moderator on a scientific or technical forum means that you not only have to scan the posts to ensure that the poster's are following the forum rules, you have to scan them for content too. Having someone present incorrect information, especially on a technical forum, must be prevented as following the wrong instructions, whether given maliciously or mistakenly, can destroy a computer and/or its data and cause thousands of dollars in real-world damage.

And this is a gaming forum...

[-VT-]
Members
625 posts
5,826 battles

I had a similar experience a month ago. The CS from WG is down right laughable.  

• Cool 1